Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default OS X Lion - problem with Preview, Text Edit and QuickTime

Hi guys - I've been out of the Apple / computer loop for almost 2 years and now find myself "not knowing stuff".

Well - my G5 Powermac had a graphic card failure 2 weeks ago - (and that was running Tiger OS X 10.4.11) and I've now invested in an iMac 21" 2.8Ghz Intel Core i7, running Lion 10.7.3, and I'm having just tiny wittle problems with its interface which I've googled but can't find answers to, though no doubt these will be easy-peasy to someone here.

When opening Text Edit or Preview or QuickTime flicks, these three apps will also open the last three documents that I opened ... before opening any one of them.

So... if I have four letters typed in Text Edit sitting on my Desktop, and I double-click to open just one of them, three will open instead of the one I've double-clicked.

Same with Preview pics and QuickTime flicks.

How do I stop these inbuilt apps from doing this?

Yes - I've gone through their preferences and choosing other options makes no difference.

Cheers,

ClockWork

AddIt: I'm just sorta becoming acquainted really, as I still need to purchase the next Adobe CS Suite before I can really begin using this machine.
    Lorks! Oh lordy! My bottom's on fire!!
    [Joan of Arc -
    1431]

JimWOz's Avatar JimWOz is offline 56 no. ...and still seeing it big as a footy

Under Lion, these Apps insist on opening all the docs that were open last time you had them open.

Only fix I've found is to close all docs before quitting.
    Next time you open the App it doesn't re open all the other docs.

It is tiresome and one should be able to stop this by other means.
    Other Apps do have this as a preference setting.

- Good to hear from you again CW.
    Thought you must have fallen off your perch !
    MBP15 i7 2.2 16G/1TB/120SSD, MB C2D2.4 Black, MB2.0 Black, PBG4/15/1.5, PMG4 MDD, iMacG3/333, Epson1410, HPLJ5200DN, HP ML115 Ubuntu Server, Airport Extreme+Express N. In the closet: HP DC7600 PC, PBG4/12/867, PBG3/333, PM6200, PB5300C, SE30, SE.

All new apps are supposed to do that. it means you can have an array of documents open, quit, reboot, or whatever and carry on from where you were.

---------- Post added at 07:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 AM ----------

Try command option w before closing the app.
    Grrrr, Arrrrghhh!!!
    http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/8259491826/photos
    My Photo Gallery

Thanks Jim - so it's a bug?
    I see what you mean re - closing off each window.

Every time I go silent here, it means I'm sniffing out pussy, so the last period of time has left me quite... ummm... sore.
    Inappropriate Wednesday still going?

I'm having probs running searches in the new and revamped MacTalk search panel.

Cheers matey =)
    [Joan of Arc -
    1431]

Default Disable Mac OS X Lion Resume & App Window Restore Completely

Last edited by FineWine; 6th April 2012 at 11:00 AM.
    iMac 27" 3.2Gb with 32Gb RAM, 2Tb Time Capsule & Airport Express,
    iPod 5.5 30g, iPhone 4, iPad 2, iPad Mini
    Bruji the best cataloguing programs for Mac OS & iOS

Ahhhhh! Now there's my little nigger in the wood pile!

Thank you for the heads up FW.

=)
    [Joan of Arc -
    1431]

I might as well bat orf of this thread I started, as I work my way through the unknown territory of Lion (soon to be replaced - aggghh - why the hurry?).

Couple of gaps in my brain box:

1. Apple menu -> Recent Items... and the Applications under this are often completely invisible or else some of them are invisible.

2. Standard USB Apple scroll mouse attached, and it won't scroll up or down - which occurs perhaps once out of three times.
    Often I cannot get or see the grey scrolling toob down the sides of documents or inside apps - becomes painful in a large iPhoto collection when trying to scroll down the Library list and the only way I can do it, is to click on an Event to highlight it and then use the up and down arrow keys.

Outside of these two points, does anyone recall a tiny app that will function in Leopard 10.5.8, that'll lock Applications in the Applications folder and make it impossible to Trash or move out of the Applications folder?

My father keeps... somehow - accidently... trashing the entire Microsoft Office 2011 folder - or - trashing Word out of the folder, the app he uses most and would be lost without.

Cheers in advance.

cw
    [Joan of Arc -
    1431]

Quote Originally Posted by ClockWork View Post
    Often I cannot get or see the grey scrolling toob down the sides of documents or inside apps - becomes painful in a large iPhoto collection when trying to scroll down the Library list and the only way I can do it, is to click on an Event to highlight it and then use the up and down arrow keys.

In System prefs -> General there is an option of when to show scroll bars. Try making it Always.

JimWOz's Avatar JimWOz is offline 56 no. ...and still seeing it big as a footy

Quote Originally Posted by ClockWork View Post
    ... does anyone recall a tiny app that will function in Leopard 10.5.8, that'll lock Applications in the Applications folder and make it impossible to Trash or move out of the Applications folder?

My father keeps... somehow - accidently... trashing the entire Microsoft Office 2011 folder - or - trashing Word out of the folder, the app he uses most and would be lost without.
    Clockers, why not make him use a non administrator account on the machine. That might revoke his terminator tendencies with Word.
    MBP15 i7 2.2 16G/1TB/120SSD, MB C2D2.4 Black, MB2.0 Black, PBG4/15/1.5, PMG4 MDD, iMacG3/333, Epson1410, HPLJ5200DN, HP ML115 Ubuntu Server, Airport Extreme+Express N. In the closet: HP DC7600 PC, PBG4/12/867, PBG3/333, PM6200, PB5300C, SE30, SE.

Thanx Moto - I've switched that in Sys Prefs and hopefully that solves the problem!
    (Personally, I find those grey scrollers visually insubstantial and thin).

Yes Jim, I had thunk of that, yet the other user is my mother and what she does in her account is beyond an afternoon of negative entertainment. Both are set to Admin, and for all I know, she could be responsible.

Maybe I should create a third admin account with an unknown Password...
    [Joan of Arc -
    1431]