Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MDD not booting

Question

Today, i decided to use a light paintbrush and vacuum cleaner to cleanse quite a few parts of my MDD powermac. after removing most of the copmponets, video card, memory, modem, and processor board, i suck away most of the dust, after re-assembling, i turned him on, but no "BONG" sound the power button light when you hold it down but then nothing, the HDD spins up and the led on board lights and the fans spin, then after about 20 seconds, the fans spin to max speed and the thing nearly takes off. but no bootup, no screen signal, and no keyboard/mouse lights.

It's only like 9 months old so i'm a little upset if anyone had any ideas of what this may be, let me in on it. I really hope i didn't bugger up the logic board or something!!!!

thanks in advance
    Know me before you judge me...

first thing i'd try is removing easy parts and booting like that - eg: ram. Maybe you haven't seated it properly? I can only give advice as far as troubleshooting a PC which wont start - where it generally comes down to cpu/ram/expansion cards.
    Read my drivel, be dazzled by my Twitter

Are you some kind of devil trying to keep me from using my time usefully? - Currawong
    "You're an enigma wrapped in a ferreo roche" - fulltimecasual

Strip the machine down to the absolute minimum you can to get a working machine - usually this involves using 1 stick of working RAM along with your graphics card. Don't bother plugging in the optical or hard drives.

If that fails, hold down the CUDA switch on your motherboard for 10 seconds. Next, reset the PRAM. Removing the processor card was the likely cause of your problems here, I reckon.

JB

damn, none of those suggestions worked. I suspect resetting the PRAM is not possible because i don't even think it looks at the keyboard. up i'll keep trying, but it doesn't look good. I would put it down to something bad, but i was extemely carful with everything i did, and i've done it before with no problems. If anyone has a MDD powermac 1.25 can they pull the ram out and restart and give me results of what happens, and also with the video card?

Thanks again in advance.

Static may have killed it? It's probably the worst case to happend but vacume cleaners does cause static electricity, and offcourse statics are no good to electronic components especially a motherboard...

Just my 2c, although it could simply be nothing and it will be fixed by the next time i check the forums. What ever the problem may be I hope you can get it back and running again soon.
    Rockin' with - 11" 1.4Ghz 2Gb Ram 64Gb SSD MacBook Air | 17" 2.53Ghz i5 8Gb Ram 200Gb SSD MacBook Pro | 27" 2.66Ghz i5 iMac | AirPort Express | 16GB Black iPhone 5 | 16GB White iPad Mini

WARNING! DON'T HOLD DOWN THE PMU RESET SWITCH EVER!

Byrd, I'm afraid to say, the advice you just gave him will have definitely crashed his PMU. The switch in a MDD is *not* a CUDA switch, it's a Power Management Unit reset, and pressing it for longer than a second will result in death of the PMU without a doubt. The machine now will not ever again go into sleep mode after crashing it.

I had an MDD that at one stage wouldn't boot - the solution was to unplug the machine, remove the battery, and leave the machine for 24 hours in that state.

I hope the machine is still under warranty because it's very likely the motherboard is dead.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

My bad then - was going off similar advice I received to repair a beige G3, B&W and 9600 machines. Surely they wouldn't place a button there if it wasn't to be pressed to reset the machine to default settings.

JB

Edit: what I've typed above does not contraindicate any other site that I've searched for involving non-booting G4 Macs. Pretty much all sites recommend the PMU button be pressed for 5 - 10 seconds should the machine have problems booting.

Unfortunately, Apple have done just that. The purpose of the PMU reset switch is to fix problems with the PMU not allowing the machine to boot, or, for when a motherboard is exchanged, to cause the PMU to set itself correctly.

It can only be pressed, once, for less than a second. The machine must be booted before it can be pressed again, if the PMU is not to crash.

well i held it down a good 30 seconds and now my machine is screwed!

Just kidding, i dunno what is wrong with it but i took it to apple today, so hopefully will get him back soon.

It's not under warranty which sucks, but they said the quote plus first hour labour is 99 so thats not that bad if it will render my machine useable once more . but they said, it sounds like a logic board problem, how much are these? and has anyone ever had any replaced?

I was just reading this thread and decided to a brief bit of research and was surprised that Power Manager resets/issues/crashes are not covered by warranty although Apple publish the PMU reset and troubleshooting procedure in their knowlege base 'for educational purposes'. (This seems, to me, to be a semi admission that there may be issues with it. Apple are positively phobic about people poking around inside their machines so instructions on how to do this is a surprise).
    I also found further articles regarding the PMU reset switch. Some say 'a fraction of a second', one said '5 to 30 seconds' so I wonder how critical the time actually is (I must say I have doubts about this author as he displays a scary degree of ignorance on an unrelated topic. e.g. to change an ATA drive from slave to master you just have to put it in the top drive bay! when in reallity it should not care where it is so long as the jumpers are set correctly). One thing they ALL agree on is that whatever you do, DO NOT push the button twice as this will crash the PMU.
    It seems to me that the MDD PMU must have flakey firmware as numerous people seem to have issues with it.

Also, logic board = motherboard = $$$

Good luck, I hope it all works out.

cheers, kim

really?, thats gay, i am a student you see, saving for it in the first place took me the better part of 2 years. and that was only 3 grand, man, if its gonna be over 600, i can't even afford to have it repaired. And what if its the processor. how much are these? i read that i can buy a dual 1.42 ghz processor for cheap off ebay and whack that i there? this true?

Starting up a 'fix Jim's Maccy' fund. Wanna donate?

A mate of mine got me a replacement motherboard for my DP450 at cost, but the standard price is over $1100 for most of them. Try leaving it unplugged with the battery removed for a day and see if that works. If it doesn't, then your motherboard is very likely dead.

A few more links I've found involving non-booting MDD G4s:

Google Groups 1

Google Groups 2

Accelerate your Mac

The XLR8 link is the best ... but pretty much reiterates what we've said!

I'd test your MDD power supply - this sitedetails you on how to go about it. Seems they have pretty high failure rates.

JB

well, the wonderful people at MAC1 in fyshwick, have completed inspecting my machine, and they drew the wonderful conclusion to tell me something i already knew... "Yeah mate sorry to tell you this, its either the logic board, or the processor board", 'so not the power supply?' "nah mate logic or processor". 'wel thanks for charging me 99 bucks and wasting a week of my time to tell me something i already knew!" Click

he also said a new logic board is around 400
    and a new processor is around 800
    and it could be both....

GAY!

what should i do. I'm thinking of saying, alright replace the logic board, coz i CAN afford that, just, and then if that doesn't fix it, finding a third party upgrade cpu, or getting a second hand one off ebay somewhere?

any ideas. BTW byrd, thanks for the links, while being a little off topic, have been an entertaingin read on there own, esp the MDD powersupply bit

BTW its not powersupply which is gay, coz its the cheapest part!

You may as well upgrade it.
    streetwise stock upgrade cards for powermacs.
    Read my drivel, be dazzled by my Twitter

Are you some kind of devil trying to keep me from using my time usefully? - Currawong
    "You're an enigma wrapped in a ferreo roche" - fulltimecasual

no such upgrade for MDD g4's yet, i was refering to a genuine apple dual 1.42 ghz processor module, hmm if only i could find sucha thing!

There's a single 1GHz MDD CPU module on ebay at the moment,
    last I looked it was at $300.

Like yourself, I'm waiting for a dual 1.25GHz or 1.42GHz module. :/ I think we'll have to wait a while before Sonnet et al bring out their own ones.

EDIT: fixed typo.
    * Power Mac 867-DP/1.25/120+60
    * PowerBook 12" 1.33/768/80
    * Mac Classic 8/4/40 upgraded to Classic II 16/10/40
    * Mac SE/30 16/32/1GB with ethernet adapter
    * Newton MessagePad 2000

yeah thats gay, when your machine is screwed until you fix it. I'm gonna go with a new logic board, and pray night and day that that will fix him......

My mac isn't broken thankfully, it's just 867MHz DP.
    Is your MDD the FW800 model?
    * Power Mac 867-DP/1.25/120+60
    * PowerBook 12" 1.33/768/80
    * Mac Classic 8/4/40 upgraded to Classic II 16/10/40
    * Mac SE/30 16/32/1GB with ethernet adapter
    * Newton MessagePad 2000

no its the 167 mhz buss one with DDR 2700 ram, single 1.25ghz processor (was)

The apple guy rang babck today, saying it was the processor, so if i can find a cheap one, i'll be happy, else its 860 bananas for an apple replaced one.

i did find this site but have'nt been able to get in touch with the guy
    may be of interest if we can bulk order some processors...

http://www.dttservice.com/appleproducts.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast