Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is Telstra's mobile service declining?

I loved moving from Optus to Telstra Prepaid on my 3G, now signed up for a 4GS on Telstra. But the Network seems to be coming worse in worse in terms of data speed and reliability. After becoming competitive they seem to be suffering the same fate as the other networks.

Has anyone noticed this?
    | iMac Alu.| 11-inch MacBook Air | iPhone 4S 64GB

Melbourne CBD data performance is quite lame these days on Telstra. Very sad
    (meanwhile VHA & Optus still suck just about everywhere)

Hell, Telstra's mobile data even sucks a little around the Hobart CBD and Uni — requests take ages to load, general data suckiness, etc.

I just hope they're working on it. Even more so with the 4G iPad coming out.

I used to get 2Mbps at home in the dandenongs. Now I get 0.1Mbps with most requests timing out.
    Started happening about 12 months ago for me.
    Something about Jimby.

I still find it OK in Sydney, but I worked for 6 months in Melb last year (Mon-Fri) and it was WOEFUL. Not just on my iPhone, but also my NextG modem. Seriously, in the heart of the CBD, between 9am-5pm, it was completely useless about 75% of the time. Horrible.

But for me in Sydney - OK.
    "Woz, we need blue boxes not computers." (Steve Jobs).

Yep, I work on Flinders Street and it really up and down.
    Forget getting anything reasonable at Flinders STreet & Southern Cross stations either

Yep, it's getting worse. I blame all you bastards who got fed up with Optus & Vodafone that moved to Telstra, stuffing it for the rest of us

Quote Originally Posted by grfxninja View Post
    Yep, it's getting worse. I blame all you bastards who got fed up with Optus & Vodafone that moved to Telstra, stuffing it for the rest of us
    Those of us who were on 3 had a perfectly legitimate excuse

Definitely worse generally, and basically unusable today. Living on a farm I have no other option but wireless, and even if I was in the CBD, what other viable option is there...none!

I have just finished a lengthy conversation with a Telstra Faults CS person and they have admitted it is a service problem from their end. I suspect we may be seeing the beginning of a Telstra-gate scandal similar to last years Vodafail.

Yes please do not come to Telstra stay. I do not think any phone company is keeping up with demand during peak times in peak areas now.
    Melb CBD is crap during business hours on Telstra now.
    Mac Mini's 2006 and early 2009, 2011 Server, White Macbook 2007,ipad3 32gb, iPad Air 32gb, iPhone4 , iPhone 5: Kids now Powerbook 15" G4 1.5Ghz, iBook 14" G3 900mhz, Powermac G4/400, iPad 64 3G, iPad Mini, iPhone3G , ipod touch 3G 32gb, iPad2 32gb

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

The last few months the service in Brisbane has really dropped off. At lunchtime in the CBD data becomes glacial (even loss of service), and similar on the bus on the way home in areas where they used to have good coverage. When I first switched it was easy to justify the extra $.

I wonder if it is because all their thoughts are turned towards getting 4G up, so they have neglected 3G capacity, or if they have used some of the aerials for the 4G transmission.
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I wonder if it is because all their thoughts are turned towards getting 4G up, so they have neglected 3G capacity, or if they have used some of the aerials for the 4G transmission.
    It's likely a combination of things, from smartphone adoption increasing much faster than capacity, to Telstra putting resources into 4G and starving 3G. I was in Singapore recently and the 3G service on one of the local providers, StarHub, was appalling, worse than Vodafone here (or perhaps like Vodafone in a country area). My brother in law believed it was because the local telcos had completely stopped investment in 3G capacity as they were ramping up 4G.

As a user, getting the best network data speeds brings to mind the Red Queen Hypothesis -- you have to keep running to stay in the same place, relative to the mass of users, and this means evolving to the latest/premium service (4G). My iPhone 4 contract comes up for renewal only a few months after the iPhone 5 will probably come out, so here's hoping it has Telstra-compatible 4G.
    "He could already picture the YouTube page…and, underneath the little video pane, the first of many thousands of all-capital-letter comments sent in by all the world's useless fuckwits." --Neal Stephenson, Reamde

Quote Originally Posted by hangdog View Post
    My iPhone 4 contract comes up for renewal only a few months after the iPhone 5 will probably come out, so here's hoping it has Telstra-compatible 4G.
    Not if they use the same chip as the new iPad. Which is a worry that they will. Although they still should be investing in 3G as a lot of people will not move 4G for a while. I know I could stream AFL at my home ok although at a friends a few kms away had full coverage and it just stuttered
    Mac Mini's 2006 and early 2009, 2011 Server, White Macbook 2007,ipad3 32gb, iPad Air 32gb, iPhone4 , iPhone 5: Kids now Powerbook 15" G4 1.5Ghz, iBook 14" G3 900mhz, Powermac G4/400, iPad 64 3G, iPad Mini, iPhone3G , ipod touch 3G 32gb, iPad2 32gb

Yep, getting worse for sure, all the slow folk from the other rubbish networks are now clogging it up.

Absolutely it's getting more and more congested. Especially in the Sydney CBD (for me).

I switched from 3 Mobile to Telstra 3G mobile broadband a few years back and it was bloody awesome! I also moved the iPhones over and again, bloody awesome... now though, the 3G internets time out more than they work (same CBD location as before) during the day time.

On the upside I have moved to their 4G service for mobile broadband and it's awesome again, my best guess being they have reserved some bandwidth for the new services so they don't suck. Will be interesting to see what happens when more people move over.

The iPhones seem to work reasonably for calls, but internet access (and also iMessages) can be a bit slow and fail sometimes (although for some reason it works/ed *slightly* better than the 3G USB dongle.

That said I did try a Vodafone WiFi dongle thingy to see how that went and it's even more fail...

The big T are still the best, sadly it seems that it's now "of a bad bunch". Damn everyone else wanting to use my internets :P
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

Well after returning to telstra after 10 yrs avoiding them ....and not back 10 months and still trying to get my bill correct (its out by about $110 every month ) and going thru ITO who proved to be useless, just about everyone in telstra in every department and at every level, I have resigned my self to the fact that I will have to call them every month to get it adjusted. My new thing is finding the quickest way having to repeat the story every time and go thru all the hopes and just look at my history. I am thinking to start a blog about it, I would be entertaining.

So F you telstra

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

And F you auto correct, I'm not going to edit your corrections
     rMBP  iPad  iPhone

Oh Maclab, I feel for you, your situation is just down right appalling. Let me guess, you've been through the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman route & discovered the meaning of the government corporate revolving door. TIO is a legit smoke & mirrors show that just pretends to help the people it serves. Unfortunately, no one can actually help you at Telstra as its a systemic database problem, *which costs too much to fix and isn't profitable. People like us are simply lied to by people who don't know they're lying. These individuals were hired by a subcontractor, who was contracted by Telstra. Right at the top they know theres a problem. Unfortunately, these individuals know that the insignificant expendable x% of people that experience these problems can easily be snowed until they leave Telstra frustrated. That is an expectable loss when compared to the fix & legal bill.*

I watched a series from the U.S called 'V' once, I think they look like that. If there is a hell, you'll find them if you don't let it go. Close your account on the grounds of the ongoing problem when it's convenient for you, then either go to another provider or open a new account. Yes it's a chore & it's going to be hard, but in the long run, nothing is more important than how you feel inside. *Don't carrying that feeling around.*

At the end of the day, you didn't do anything wrong, just wrong place, wrong time. On a more positive note, we could all be nicer to one another & make it harder for them.

Yep as soon as Telstra made their iPhone plans competitive when the iPhone 4 came out the network has slowly declined. My data speed is still pretty damb good though not as fast as it was 12 months ago

So flash forward another year and I think Telstra is an absolute joke. There is barely any 3G data service in North Sydney during peak.

Is there a better network at the moment? How is their 4G service? Deciding who to sign for a 5S. Maybe because Telstra's plans are so god damn expensive now their network quality will remain.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast