Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ditching Vodafone

I've been a Vodafone prepaid wireless broadband customer since July 2010, but am considering changing to another provider. I'm not happy with the slow speeds and poor reception, and even though I'm not a heavy user, seem to be using up my data allowance very fast.

Initially I went with them because the price was good. I'd appreciate advice on other providers who I might be happier with, as long as they're better than Vodafone.

Ross
    Last edited by mcphero_74; 25th January 2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Clarity

I'd say Telstra would be the best option. Optus/Virgin would be a bit better but not a lot. Telstra is just the only really good mobile telco for data and coverage. Their prices are quite competitive these days too.
    I'm switching from Vodafone as soon as my contract is out.
     15" MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.66Ghz | iPhone 5 32GB |  iPad Retina 3rd Generation 32GB Wifi
    Trading feedback thread

I switched from vodafail (after 9 years) to Telstra, never thought I'd say that, but I'm bloody glad I did.
    Service has been outstanding, ( great twitter support team) and the coverage and data speeds are 2nd to none.
    Always thought they were overpriced, but as mentioned above, they are competitive and it works, that's what's important to me.

Hope this helps.

I'm on the iinet 3G broadband which uses optus's network. It's pretty useless. On a good day I get 100 kbps which is pretty slow. It can take up to two hours to do a 60 MB download. I never get anywhere near my 8GB peak/off peak quota as its just too slow to use.

If you can afford it, then go Telstra.
    Something about Jimby.

Switch to Telstra. I was on 3 and the coverage wasn't great. I have one phone on Amaysim (Optus Network), and the other on Telstra. Optus Network sucks less than 3 or Voda, Telstra is great coverage and speed. Costs more, but hey, it works. Mind you, I'm on Telstra Prepaid and customer service at the call center ranges from OK to bloody pathetic.

My work phone was switched to Voda, and I'm not the only one begging for them to let us go back to Optus.

No don't switch to Telstra we don't need to many people clogging up our great network But seriously Telstra is the only option for decent 3g speed and coverage in Australia. It is not to expensive these days either, i pay 60 bucks a month for $400 worth of calls and 3gigs of data.

Vodafone is like a cruise ship constantly advertising for more customers, loading them at the front, despite the ship being way overloaded and people are jumping off the other end.

I don't understand how legally they have been getting away with selling a service and then not providing it.

Quote Originally Posted by tinhead88 View Post
    Vodafone is like a cruise ship constantly advertising for more customers, loading them at the front, despite the ship being way overloaded and people are jumping off the other end.

I don't understand how legally they have been getting away with selling a service and then not providing it.
    Its amazing how many times Vodaphone and Optus ring me trying to get me to switch back, i them promptly tell them their network is disgraceful and they can ring me when i can get more then 10kb/s on 3g lol.

Telstra gone down a lot since everyone started switching I know my data has been a lot slower over the last few months.
    Phone wise I have connections when friends have nothing, can talk while getting into a lift in my building in Melb CBD, where on 3 I had phone calls not connect at a window seat.
    Mac Mini's 2006 and early 2009, 2011 Server, White Macbook 2007,ipad3 32gb, iPad Air 32gb, iPhone4 , iPhone 5: Kids now Powerbook 15" G4 1.5Ghz, iBook 14" G3 900mhz, Powermac G4/400, iPad 64 3G, iPad Mini, iPhone3G , ipod touch 3G 32gb, iPad2 32gb

Quote Originally Posted by davemc View Post
    Telstra gone down a lot since everyone started switching I know my data has been a lot slower over the last few months.
    Phone wise I have connections when friends have nothing, can talk while getting into a lift in my building in Melb CBD, where on 3 I had phone calls not connect at a window seat.
    Yep the Telstra network is starting to become more "loaded" as more people jump off the sinking Vodaphone and Optus ships. I too have noticed a decrease in 3g speeds in the last 6 months but they are still decent and my actual phone coverage is still excellent.

Telstra speed is by far the best out of optus/voda, would would be one of the worst, but they're upgrading their network tower recently, so let's hope it gets better.

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like Telstra is the one to go with.

Anything but Vodafone. They are a company with terrible business practices. It's not just the service but also dealing with them about accounting disputes. If only more people knew and acted on this information.

A friend of mine used to work for vodaphone and he freely admits their systems are shyte.
    His main reaction when asked about them is too shake his head and say "They're in a world of hurt".

Quote Originally Posted by torana355 View Post
    No don't switch to Telstra we don't need to many people clogging up our great network But seriously ...
    I do like that one. Just have tried to revive my prepaid account on Vodafail (previously on 365 day option - not used for a few months) for a visiting friend - well, what don't you do for a friend. I asked why the number is blocked. The response on *330# was ... well, ..., but ... abuse ... bla bla bla and my brain took over ;-)

I've noticed my Telstra speeds have slowed recently. i wish the other telco's could get a decent network set up so there was more for the consumer to choose from. Expensive and fast or cheap and slow doesn't get me too excited

Hope it's okay to continue this thread; rather not start another for the same topic.

We recently negotiated and renewed my Vodafone contract - $33 or so per month for $200 of calls/text and1.6GB of data. Vodafone offer a "30 day Network Guarantee", so I do have time to change my mind if desired. I was wondering if it would be worth switching to Telstra, or another operator, just to see how their network holds up?

I have just done a couple of speed tests over my 3G connection, and have results varying from 1.1 - 1.9 Mbps download, and 0.41 - 0.67 Mbps upload. Is this result about 'average', or would another network potentially offer better speeds?

I have considered Telstra, though their plans start at $50/month (SIM-only), which is considerably more than Vodafone's plans, which start at $30/month.

Would Telstra Pre-Paid be a better option, or is my current Vodafone contract a good deal?
    I know there is no definitive answer to this type of question, and opinions vary, though it would be good to hear from others on the topic.

Thank you
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" (Mid-2014) iPhone 6 iPad mini 2

leafnight.wordpress.com | Twitter

Because the speeds and network coverage vary so much from location to location among carriers, your best bet is to switch to Telstra Pre-Paid for a week or two to see how it fares compared to Vodafone.

Try Optus or Virgin as well I used to be with Telstra but switched to virgin and couldn't be happier for the majority of the time
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence250 View Post
    Would Telstra Pre-Paid be a better option
    Go Boost, or Aldi.
     iMac revA 233mhz. iBook (clamshell). iPod Photo. MacBookPro. Mac mini. iPad. iPhone 4S 
    "It's better to be a pirate than to join the Navy" - SPJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast