Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by gikku View Post
    Go Boost, or Aldi.
    What network are they re-sellers of? I haven't really considered MVNOs, since I would rather deal with the network operators directly.

What has your experience with them been like, if you have/are using their services?
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" (Mid-2014) iPhone 6 iPad mini 2

leafnight.wordpress.com | Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence250 View Post
    What network are they re-sellers of? I haven't really considered MVNOs, since I would rather deal with the network operators directly.

What has your experience with them been like, if you have/are using their services?
    They (along with Telechoice) resell Telstra...
    13" MacBook Pro retina: i5 2.5GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD; Mac mini: i5 2.3GHz 8GB RAM Fused 240GB SSD and 500GB HDD; iMac: G4 17" 1.25GHz 2GB RAM 160GB HDD; iPhone 5 64GB; iPad mini 64GB LTE; Apple TV 3

Hope it's okay to continue this thread; rather not start another for the same topic.

We recently negotiated and renewed my Vodafone contract - $33 or so per month for $200 of calls/text and1.6GB of data. Vodafone offer a "30 day Network Guarantee", so I do have time to change my mind if desired. I was wondering if it would be worth switching to Telstra, or another operator, just to see how their network holds up?

I have just done a couple of speed tests over my 3G connection, and have results varying from 1.1 - 1.9 Mbps download, and 0.41 - 0.67 Mbps upload. Is this result about 'average', or would another network potentially offer better speeds?

I have considered Telstra, though their plans start at $50/month (SIM-only), which is considerably more than Vodafone's plans, which start at $30/month.

Would Telstra Pre-Paid be a better option, or is my current Vodafone contract a good deal?
    I know there is no definitive answer to this type of question, and opinions vary, though it would be good to hear from others on the topic.

Thank you
    Those speeds are ok for 3G. You need what Vodafone call 3G+ (or HSPA) to get faster on 3G.

What postcode are you in? Vodafone's 3G speeds have improved dramatically in most places I go now. 3G near my work is around 20Mbit down/1Mbit pretty much any time of the day. 4G is closer to 100Mbit.

As with any mobile network though things vary depending on time and location. As others have said, I would recommend getting a prepaid SIM and testing it in the places you live and work.
    2012 Mac Mini 2.6 w/ 1TB Fusion Drive & 16GB RAM, Dell U2713HM Monitor | 15" MBP Unibody 2.66 | iPhone 5s Space Gray 32GB on Vodafone & iPhone 5 Black | iPad Retina (3rd Gen) on Vodafone | AppleTV 3 | Original Airport Express

i've just recently switched back to Voda from Telstra on the 5s due to Telstra's crap upgrade options, couldn't be happier Perth CBD 4G getting 60mbps down home in the northern suburbs get 3G+ and is approx 19mbps down compared to my home ADSL with Telstra gets less than 8mbps !!
    on the new red plan so get straight through to an Australian call centre and have the 30 day network guarantee but so far very happy with coverage.
    27" iMac | iPad Air 2 128GB | ATV | iPhone5S 64GB | AirPort Extreme | iPod Classic | Apple Watch ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa View Post
    Those speeds are ok for 3G. You need what Vodafone call 3G+ (or HSPA) to get faster on 3G.

What postcode are you in? Vodafone's 3G speeds have improved dramatically in most places I go now. 3G near my work is around 20Mbit down/1Mbit pretty much any time of the day. 4G is closer to 100Mbit.

As with any mobile network though things vary depending on time and location. As others have said, I would recommend getting a prepaid SIM and testing it in the places you live and work.
    I have just completed another speed test over 3G (1:18pm SA time): 1.62 Mbps download, 0.16Mbps upload, 69ms ping.
    I live about 8km from Adelaide CBD, and as of Vodafone's network coverage map, am well within their 3G+ & 4G zones. When I am in the CBD I don't notice much speed difference, though.

I am sure that Telstra would offer better overall speeds, and we are considering switching our broadband and Foxtel services to Telstra soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mullo View Post
    i've just recently switched back to Voda from Telstra on the 5s due to Telstra's crap upgrade options, couldn't be happier Perth CBD 4G getting 60mbps down home in the northern suburbs get 3G+ and is approx 19mbps down compared to my home ADSL with Telstra gets less than 8mbps !!
    on the new red plan so get straight through to an Australian call centre and have the 30 day network guarantee but so far very happy with coverage.
    I think Vodafone's 30 day network guarantee is extremely useful, since I have a couple of weeks still to decide. The only things that are keeping me with them at the moment is their offer of 1.6GB/month of data, as well as the fact that my immediate family are all with Vodafone. I have also read a few articles lately that point out the "bad value" of Australian telco plans as far as data allowance and price goes.

I will definitely be looking more into the pre-paid options offered by the main telcos, since I would also like to be without a lock-in 2-year contract.

Thank you all for your input and advice.

I have just completed another speed test over 3G (1:18pm SA time): 1.62 Mbps download, 0.16Mbps upload, 69ms ping.
    I live about 8km from Adelaide CBD, and as of Vodafone's network coverage map, am well within their 3G+ & 4G zones. When I am in the CBD I don't notice much speed difference, though.
    That's not too good a speed.. Is this with the 4S listed in your signature? I don't think the iPhone 4S has DC-HSDPA (which is 3G+)
    Is there any way you can try your SIM in a DC-HSDPA device? It wouldn't be easy with an iPhone 5 due to the different SIM size but maybe an HTC or Samsung. Basically all 4G devices have DC-HSDPA/3G+

The only other suggestion I have is to talk to Vodafone on their forum Vodafone Community - Vodafone Community as they are pretty good at sorting out issues.
    2012 Mac Mini 2.6 w/ 1TB Fusion Drive & 16GB RAM, Dell U2713HM Monitor | 15" MBP Unibody 2.66 | iPhone 5s Space Gray 32GB on Vodafone & iPhone 5 Black | iPad Retina (3rd Gen) on Vodafone | AppleTV 3 | Original Airport Express

That's not too good a speed.. Is this with the 4S listed in your signature? I don't think the iPhone 4S has DC-HSDPA (which is 3G+)
    I didn't think they were the best speeds I could be getting. Yes, this is with the iPhone 4S listed in my signature. You're correct, it appears as though the 4S doesn't have DC-HSDPA (3G+).

Is there any way you can try your SIM in a DC-HSDPA device? It wouldn't be easy with an iPhone 5 due to the different SIM size but maybe an HTC or Samsung. Basically all 4G devices have DC-HSDPA/3G+
    It is possible, since my father has a Samsung Galaxy S3 (non-4G, if I recall correctly) and my sister has the Galaxy S4 (4G, I'm assuming) - both of these are on the Vodafone network, too. I will try my SIM in one of them, and see if the speeds increase or even change.

Is there any way for me to verify if I'm connected via 3G+?

Thank you

Is there any way for me to verify if I'm connected via 3G+?
    Sorry, I missed this. I don't know on Android phones, but there isn't a way to tell on iOS.. other than that if you are on 3G+ you should get 10-20Mbit downloads in off peak times if the network is not congested.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2