Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

I want to print a few tshirts for frends as christmas presents, but they would need to be white text on a black shirt.

Any idea how I could go about getting this done?

Go get yourself some iron-on transfers from Officeworks.
    All you have to do is print, then iron. Easy as that.

There's an Officeworks branded one for doing white on black... not every store gets them though...

You could also create yourself an account over at CafePress.com and make them there...
    ...because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

How can a normal inkjet printer print white though...? Is that even possible?

I was thinking about using CafePress, but then they would have to be shipped from America, right?

Is there any other Aussie version of CafePress or anything like that?

Originally posted by BigAD@Dec 11 2005, 04:36 PM
    http://www.stencilrevolution.com/tutorials...lsview.php?id=2
    that site is perfect! thanks a million
    Rockin' with - 11" 1.4Ghz 2Gb Ram 64Gb SSD MacBook Air | 17" 2.53Ghz i5 8Gb Ram 200Gb SSD MacBook Pro | 27" 2.66Ghz i5 iMac | AirPort Express | 16GB Black iPhone 5 | 16GB White iPad Mini

I never investigated the white on black transfers, but I suppose the transfer on it's own is white, and then the printer either colors the area it needs, or you cut out what's meant to stay black...

CafePress does come from the US... I'm not aware of an Australian equivalent, but I'd never looked...
    ...because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

Anyone else know of an Aussie equivalent?

Hi,

If its a simple design (ie text only or a vector logo / graphic) you can get it vinyl cut. The material is called "Video Flex" and most sign shops will stock it. It is quite cheap and once cut can be ironed on.

You would just need to supply either a vector eps file or most would be happy enough if you told them what you wanted and how big.

neil

I'm really looking for the cheapest method possible.. Something like an Australian equivelant to CafePress would be best. I only want to print 1 shirt for each design.

there is a place in hobart called the colour copy centre. they do prints and other shirt stuff so it might be worth ringing them. even if they cant help you, they may know of someone who offers a similar service in your state.

W2ttsy

Cheapest will be Officeworks iron on transfer for dark or black t-shirts. Got these transfers recently (about ~ $16 for five sheets) and was quite sceptical, however it alll worked rather well with some stuffing around.

To set it up, I got a piece of wood and mounted it under the shirt, then put the iron over it until it went a nice toasty brown colour. Gently peeled it off and all was good

You won't be able to go into a T-shirt printing store unless you want 100+ of them

JB

How long do these ink-jet iron on transfers last? Does washing them ruin the transfer?

why not use t-shirt paint and make a stencil out of cardboard?
    .sig

Originally posted by decryption@Dec 12 2005, 06:42 AM
    How long do these ink-jet iron on transfers last? Does washing them ruin the transfer?
    Depends on the brand i have done ones which come off in the first wash, a packet i have here is guaranteed for 20 washes (they are quite expensive)

On the other hand the material i was talking about above you have to rip it off, its really hard wearing - i have had a tee-shirt for about 4 years now with it on.

neil

Originally posted by decryption@Dec 12 2005, 09:42 AM
    The transfer is actually quite durable (think of a thin plastic layer melted onto the material), but you do need to hand wash it. It's also quite glossy and bright, but you can iron it again with grease-proof paper to obtain a matt finish.

If it's a big transfer, it's not very comfortable to wear (think of a piece of thin cardboard strapped to your gut).

JB

Originally posted by gringo@Dec 12 2005, 08:43 AM
    If the design is simple then this option will probably give the best results, without going to a screen printer.

Originally posted by gringo@Dec 12 2005, 09:43 AM
    Paint mixed with fabric fixative will either soak through the cardboard or bleed on the edges of the cardboard.

The easiest method ive found for an amateur job is to do the following:

Get your design
    Print it on paper to make sure the dimensions are right
    Then print on Projector plastic sheets
    Cut out sheets
    Temporarily afix to material using a light adhesive spray
    Use a paint roller to apply paint
    troll
    n. A supernatural creature of Scandinavian folklore, variously portrayed as a friendly or mischievous dwarf or as a giant, that lives in caves, in the hills, or under bridges.