Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Professional web hosting service

16 64.00%
  • DIY office web server

9 36.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Does the FileMaker Pro service use a secure/encrypted type protocol?

That would be my concern running it outside your network.

I don't see why people are so down on hosting databases for internal company use in-house, with low traffic you can do it on a 512/128Kbps DSL connection.

Originally posted by sikosis@Dec 6 2005, 04:49 PM
    unfortunately, many Australian ISPs do not allow you to run your own webserver.
    Change ISP's

my isp gives me a static ip and I can host what I want...

Hmmm. As far as I can tell, FMPro 6 doesn't do SSL. My client doesn't really NEED the new features of FMPro 7 or 8 (the server versions of which have SSL) so is reluctant to upgrade....

Damnit.

I was pretty much decided on going with the pro web host. It's not Really important details that are sent to FMPro, so it's not a high security situation, but it still sucks to know that it's being sent unencrypted.

Is there any way that I could set up my own simple encryption algorithm in PHP and decrypt it at the other end? (using a fixed algorithm, since this isn't high risk data)
    "The need is not for, say, half a million -inch drill bits. The need is that there are ten million -inch holes that need to be drilled." - Robert Noyce
    www.nickforge.com

Originally posted by forgie@Dec 7 2005, 12:28 PM
    Is there any way that I could set up my own simple encryption algorithm in PHP and decrypt it at the other end? (using a fixed algorithm, since this isn't high risk data)
    Ask some guys in #php on the irc.oz.org irc network, the same irc network which has #apple channel.

My mates in this channel might know, some of them code php for a living, however I dont so can't comment.

The PHP part is taken care of by simply using the web servers SSL port by calling the PHP from a URL like HTTPS:// but then in the background there is another server app which communicates to the FMP database, THAT is what needs to support encryption. Unless you setup some sort of funky tunnelling setup, there's no real way to make it encrypted.

If you don't mind saying, what kind of data is it handling?

It's basically a registration before download page. Customers need to enter email, name, country etc. before they can download the free demo.

I'm thinking that maybe I could setup a php 'middle man' in the office, which accepts the data from the first PHP page via SSL, then sends it internally to FMPro. I'd have to do validation twice that way, since people could potentially inject data straight into the second PHP page. Is that what you mean by 'funky tunnelling setup'?
    "The need is not for, say, half a million -inch drill bits. The need is that there are ten million -inch holes that need to be drilled." - Robert Noyce
    www.nickforge.com

I think your best option is to upgrade FM ... otherwise, use a MySQL solution instead.
    I code, I eat and I'm hungry for more.

Originally posted by sikosis@Dec 7 2005, 04:18 PM
    otherwise, use a MySQL solution instead.
    mySQL rocks

If you have something that communicates with your "inhouse" system you might as well host it in the network.

What about some kind of importing solution. You could setup a simple MySQL entry form, as someone has already suggested.

And yes, MySQL does rock LOL

Although I don't mind FileMaker, it is kind of proprietary in its usefulness.

Yeah.... I don't use FMPro myself, but the client is an FMPro guy, and not a programming guy. So if I get the data into FMPro for him, he can do what he likes with it, and he's happy.

What is the difference in security between the two options:

1) Host the webpage on a Pro server. An SSL PHP page sends the data to an 'inhouse' SSL PHP page which internally sends the data to FMPro.

2) Host the webpage inhouse. An SSL PHP page sends the data internally to FMPro.

How would anyone find out the IP address of the office in situation 1? Obviously in situation 2, the IP address is broadcast to the world...
    www.nickforge.com

My biggest concern is that both options you mention communicate in some way with your "inhouse" system.

But I suppose option 1 is the most secure because you can just simply use SSL to encrypt the information.

In situation 1, unless people can see the PHP code I don't see how they could discover the IP address, or unless someone is sniffing packets, and see the destination of the packets, which is highly unlikely, although not impossible.

Are the downloads you mentioned going to be hosted? In this case it would be better to get hosting because the download speeds would be much better.

Another idea to speed things up for the user registration would be to maybe get your web host to give you access to running a PHP script from the commandline nightly to send the new information to your inhouse PHP system, rather than everytime someone registers.

That way you don't have to worry about being limited by the speed of the network connection for your client.

Also while I&#39;m at it <cough>Shameless Plug</cough> h34r:

Hello

I suggest you take a look at our web site http://fmhost.net regarding filemaker hosting.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2