Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Hi, I have a PowerBook 15' with optical output. Got a few questions about that little port.

I saw this cable in dicksmith.

Firstly, is this the 3.5mm plug that connects to a hifi system (receiver) with surround sound and secondly, does the PowerBook actually support DTS?

And is it possible to connect it up to an analoge surround sound connection (3.5mm cables: green black and yellow to 3.5mm optical on the PowerBook)?

Now Im wondering how many users here connect their PowerBook (and perhaps their iMac G5 equipped with optical sound) to a receiver with 5.1 output?

~Anthony
    2005 15" PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz (1st Mac purchased on the day iTunes AU opened!); 2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro (16GB RAM; Nvidia 750M); iPad 3rd Gen 64GB w/ cellular

Yep, that's the cable you want. Maybe get a bit longer one though, if you can?
    I have NFI about DTS, etc., however

DTS is a digital audio stream that requires specific decoding software or hardware.

A PB could decode the signal into the 5.1 channels but you'd then only be able to hear stereo because the analog output in the PB can only handle 2 channel audio.

A PB with optical output should be able to pass the original audio stream to the optical port. You could then pass the digital stream to an outboard audio processor to be decoded. If that processor has built-in amplifiers for 6 or more speakers then you plug that into the speakers, or whatever way you want to route the analog audio.

If you don't want to plug the PB into your home Hi Fi system, then you can try some of the PC targeted hi end audio solutions ( like a Creative Labs type DD5.1 all in one system that gives you the 6 speakers plus the decoder box that accepts a optical digital audio input ).

i wish my 12" PB had optical output...

If you really want one, there are USB optical outputs available.

I carry around a TASCAM US-428 with me, works a treat for Digital Audio out :P

Cheers
    pips
    WTF is Harmonytech? | The iBook Saga. | Successful Trades: Currawong, Byrd, xedos, Decryption, Greenie, Mivory
    sudo chmod 327 /etc/car/subaru