Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Circumventing DRM in Lion

Hello all.

I'm trying to use legitimately purchased material from iTunes to cut myself a new showreel.

Last time I did this a few years ago, I used an application called fairgame which seemed to just strip away the DRM restrictions which then allowed me to edit the quicktimes in Final Cut.

Fairgame doesn't seems to run under Lion with the current version of iTunes at all.

I do have permission to use the content for my showreel from the producers of each of the productions and was personally involved in the production itself.

I just can't get the damn material into final cut so I can edit with it !

A google search seems to generate answers that worked pre-lion or only work in windows.

Thanks for your help !

jb
    www.johnbrawley.com
    Cinematographer
    Sydney Australia ==> I have a BLOG

You can't upgrade/repurchase the music from iTunes? There hasn't been DRM on music from the iTunes Store for a couple of years now.

Quote Originally Posted by half goon half god View Post
    You can't upgrade/repurchase the music from iTunes? There hasn't been DRM on music from the iTunes Store for a couple of years now.
    I'm wanting to access TV SHOWS, MUSIC VIDEOS and FILMS, not music. They seem to be DRM protected currently...
    www.johnbrawley.com
    Cinematographer

Oh, that wasn't clear. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by half goon half god View Post
    Oh, that wasn't clear. Sorry.
    Apologies for that. So frustrating though ! Especially when the easy answer would be to go and source pirate versions !

jb
    www.johnbrawley.com
    Cinematographer

Is going back to the relevant producers of the content for non-DRM source material an option?

Failing that, this might have something useful:

Let me google that for you

David

Maybe you missed the "A google search seems to generate answers that worked pre-lion or only work in windows.", glacierdave?

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

There is a program called noteburner that strips iTunes DRM from video. It cost $50 and while I haven't forked up the dosh, the demo version works in Lion.
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8

Quote Originally Posted by Buthidae View Post
    Maybe you missed the "A google search seems to generate answers that worked pre-lion or only work in windows.", glacierdave?
    Hmm, first match was a Lifehacker article from January that points to an app called Noteburner M4V Converter.

From there, a google search for "Noteburner M4V Converter Mac OS X Lion" got me (2nd match) a page referring to the version that included support for Lion and iTunes 10.5.

...although I could have cut to the chase and gone straight to the website for the app where I'd find this:

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

It's not free, but it'll do it.

The Lifehacker article above does also include a method of doing it for free (albeit fairly quick and dirty).

As you mention a showreel I presume this has some commercial benefit to you so the $50 to purchase this app could probably be justified?

David

To remove DRM from iTunes video, my option is to use a tool named iTunes M4V Video Converter. It is designed for all iTunes users to remove DRM protection and convert videos from M4V to MP4 and multiple compatible formats. Since all iTunes videos are in M4V which DRM protected, making it impossible to be played on Apple unauthorized devices like Amazon Fire TV, Google play, Android phone,etc. Fortunately, now with using this DRM removal tool, it will be much easier for us to get rip of DRM protection and convert videos with lossless quality at faster speed. Maybe you can click here to learn its detail fucntions. Hope this tip is useful to you.