Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Why do i do these thing?!
    I'm running a 1.25 Pbook on 10.4.3 and coulddn't help trying out that dodgy hack to get front row working on a "non new imac" mac.

heres the link...
    http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/19947

I fear i've severely stuffed some critical system files in the process.
    When i restarted for the first time the finder windows all came up with random looking letters and spaces but after the second restart that seems to have been resolved somehow.
    But i've tried to open firefox since thenn and it won't open?!
    It shows up in "cmd-tab" and also in the force quit dialogue box(with a 'not responding&#39
    and my other apps seem to be opening ok.
    Ive tried downloading firefox again and replacing the app in the applications folder but it helped me not.

help!
    iMac C2Duo, MacBook Pro C2Duo, iPhone 3Gs
    Tradies : applecollector / thatfilthyspringbok / decryption / mwot / c3017474 / wowbagger / squozen / jarrodb / jaysee

try deleting your preference file;

~/Library/Preferences/org.mozilla.firefox.plist (just do a spotlight search for firefox

If feeze's suggestion doesn't work, you can reverse what the app did:

The app replaces your BezelServices.framework and BezelService.loginPlugin with the iMac's version for Front Row.

Download this file: http://users.bigpond.net.au/g6tech/archive.zip
    It contains 2 zip files - one is the BezelServices.framework folder, the other is the BezelServices.loginPlugin folder.
    You'll need to unzip the two files if Finder doesn't automatically do it for you.

Copy the BezelServices.framework folder to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks
    Copy the BezelServices.loginPlugin folder to /System/Library/LoginPlugins

This *should* fix the problem... unless the app modified something else.
    ...because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try them out as soon as i get home from work and let you know how i went.
    Tradies : applecollector / thatfilthyspringbok / decryption / mwot / c3017474 / wowbagger / squozen / jarrodb / jaysee

Okay, maybe i'm mistaken.
    I've just chatted to a friend who is using my old powerbook. His machine is running a clone of my present system but BEFORE i did the dodgy "front row hack".
    and,
    His powerbook isn't opening firefox either.
    I've re-installed firefox, tried deleting the preference filefrom my users/library/preferences, i also just for the sake of it tried reversing what the app did as per dangelovich's instructions.
    I haven't tried a restart since these things but will try that next.

still no firefox

It still shows up in "cmd-tab" , has its own menu bar(with only 'Firefox' showing) and also shows in the force quit dialogue box(with a 'not responding&#39.

any other ideas?

What version of Firefox is it?
    I'm thinking you might want to try installing v1.5 RC3 if you don't have it already... otherwise try going back to 1.0.7
    ...because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

thanks mate,
    i'll try that beta release of firefox and let you know how she blows...

oh, its 1.07 at present.
    It was 1.07 originally before i reinstalled firefox as well.

tell me two things:
    did you have any additions such as the JavaEmbeddingPlugin.bundle installed?
    did you do an archive of your system before installing?

If an answer to the first question is affirmative and the second a negative, then you will need to download and reinstall the JavaEmbeddingPlugin.bundle or indeed any any other that may install parts deeper than the user folder
    why are you reading this?

Are these parts of the Firefox installation or the dodgy front row installation ausmac?

I've tried spotlight on "JavaEmbeddingPlugin.bundle" and i came up with nothing.

Firefox 1.5 RC3 is a winner by the way everyone.

although the initial "check for updates to your plug-ins" failed to download the selected plugins.

Originally posted by aa...@Nov 28 2005, 06:08 PM
    Are these parts of the Firefox installation or the dodgy front row installation ausmac?

I've tried spotlight on "JavaEmbeddingPlugin.bundle" and i came up with nothing.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/javaplugin/
    http://www.macworld.com/2005/05/secrets/ju...hints/index.php
    why are you reading this?

thanks ausmac.
    i'm experiencing more problems now that i've discussed on another thread.

http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index...T&f=25&t=14312

Originally posted by dangelovich@Nov 28 2005, 08:36 AM
    If feeze's suggestion doesn't work, you can reverse what the app did:

The app replaces your BezelServices.framework and BezelService.loginPlugin with the iMac's version for Front Row.

Download this file: http://users.bigpond.net.au/g6tech/archive.zip
    It contains 2 zip files - one is the BezelServices.framework folder, the other is the BezelServices.loginPlugin folder.
    You'll need to unzip the two files if Finder doesn't automatically do it for you.

Copy the BezelServices.framework folder to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks
    Copy the BezelServices.loginPlugin folder to /System/Library/LoginPlugins

This *should* fix the problem... unless the app modified something else.
    Im trying to do this, however it says I dont have the privilages to copy over those files. I tried changing the preferences in the finder, by making myself owner etc.. but it still wouldn't let me copy the folder across.

Daniel.

snaggs, your footer quote is looking pretty ironical right now...

might be time for a change eh?...

Well you can't really complain if you install hacked software on your computer

Daniel.