Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Unhappy Can't copy in safe mode, kernel panic too

Hi all -

Here's my story... I have an old faithful iBook G4 who is on her very last legs. I've been away for 6 months and now I try to turn her on she's in kernel panic ('need to restart' screen on startup). I'm resigned to buying a new one, but just want to backup and get all my docs, photos etc.

The iBook will boot in safe mode, but for some reason I can't copy to any external drive via FW or USB. The drives show up and I can move files to them, but they are never copied. DVDs will burn but I have too much stuff to get it off that way.

Any suggestions? Is this normal for safe mode? Or does it indicate perhaps a source of her kernel panic? All disk utility tests and cleanups run a-ok and indicate no problem. Running 10.4.11.

Thanks everyone! As always, your help and wisdom is much appreciated.

Sounds like a hardware failure. Maybe the best option is taking out the hard drive, putting it in a case and copying the data off that way.

Otherwise, we'd need to see the details of the kernel panic to know what is broken.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

Default Panic log

Isn't it awfully hard to read/diagnose from a kernel panic log?

I was going to attach it but thought it would be asking too much!

If anyone wants to have a go, by all means please let me know and I'll post it!

Thanks again.