Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Just bought a 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD for my Macbook Pro 13" (2011)

heya all,

Just picked up a 120GB Vertex 2 SSD for my Macbook Pro 13", couldn't resist it at a bargain price of $150.

I am going to swap out my existing 320GB HDD currently installed with Lion. What is the best way to go about formatting and restoring my old build from Time Machine ? Should I pre-format the SSD drive with HFS+ before I install it in the Macbook Pro and then re-download LION and install then restore my Time Machine.. . or should I just chuck it in, install Snow Leopard, upgrade to Lion and THEN restore from Time Machine ?

Anything else I need to look out for with the SSD drive and Lion ? Is there a "best" or "better" way to perform the installation and to optimise LION for the SSD for the best on-going performance ?

iMac 27" i5 | iPad 3G 64gb | Macbook Pro 13" (2011)| iPhone 4
    ....."There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't"

Format it with GPT and a single HFS+ partition before you swap the disks, then swap and restore from Time Machine.
    For best ongoing performance, look into TRIM enablers.

if you have lion, dont use the trim enabler app - follow these instructions:

Grant Pannell — TRIM Enabler for Lion

if you're comfortable with the terminal, look into making your osx partition aligned:

http://www.mactalk.com.au/17/99130-a...ml#post1115329

what's alignment? Partition Alignment Spreadsheet - techPowerUp! Forums
    Last edited by stevekicks; 12th August 2011 at 06:20 PM.

Thanks for the replies guys, formatted HFS/GUID and restored from a Time Machine backup, everything went smooth as silk. Enabled TRIM last night as well with the Command Line instructions.

The SSD makes a massive difference, best upgrade I've ever experienced and I can't believe I didn't do this earlier.

....."There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't"

Where did you get the drive so cheap?

It was a Vertex 2 so the store marked it down from $280 to $220. PLus, I buy all my business gear there so the owner usually gives me gear for my personal use at pretty near cost price or sometimes even less.

Thats a pretty sweet deal. I realise it was the older one, still plenty quick though which is why i was interested for that sort of price.

Those were my thought processes when I bought it. I was going to start looking at a SATA III drive but when you boil it down, that price for a massive speed increase over a traditional HDD I figured I couldn't go wrong.

And it is PLENTY fast. I wonder if I would even notice the difference between SATA II and SATA III drives for my day to day use... many say that the differences are most obvious in transfer of large data files which is something I don't do with my Macbook anyway.

I will never use a traditional HDD again. I'll BTO my next iMac with an SSD too. It would be very difficult to go back.

I must say that's the one thing that I would like to have done on my imac. I have the same SSD in my MBP and it's a thing of beauty, but I just couldn't justify the SSD price on the imac. Hopefully by the time I'm due for an upgrade, probably in a few years, the price would be so much of an issue.

My OCZ Vertex II died suddenly the other day. I turned off my MBP to make some cord changes in my Henge Dock and when I turned it back on it was just a grey screen - I couldn't access the boot menu, couldn't boot from the SL DVD that came with my machine (I had Lion installed and couldn't get to the recovery partition).

So I plugged it into my sister's Windows 7 machine with MacDrive installed and it couldn't see it. I worked out it wasn't being detected in the BIOS. Tried it on my brother's machine and same deal. Tried plugging into external HDD caddies (2 of them) and still no dice.

Did some googling and apparently it's common that they die suddenly for no good reason! OCZ even have a RMA page to get the replacement process started, and their forums have many posts where the same thing happened to others.

I'm waiting on a RA from Umart now so I can take it back and get it replaced. In the meantime, I'm using an old HDD in my MPB and lucky for me I use time machine so I restored Lion onto it at a time about 30 minutes before the whole thing happened.

So be warned!