Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default OSX lion installer

Hey Guys,

I just installed lion on my iMac, but i have two other macs i need to install on. Where can i locate the installer?? or does it delete this once i install lion??

Thanks for the help

Cheers,

John
    iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, iPod Nano (2007), iMac i7 27" (2011), Magic Mouse, Apple Trackpad.

I have a feeling you will need to re download it.. but apparently you can extract the DMG and create and install disc, so this might be another goer... Google.

Yeah thats what i wanted to do but i cant find the installer anywhere, was on the dock before i installed it. Have tried google for last 30 mins but cant find out where the installer is, so i presume it deleted it once it installed lion :-(
    iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, iPod Nano (2007), iMac i7 27" (2011), Magic Mouse, Apple Trackpad.

Quote Originally Posted by lfc_ozzie View Post
    Yeah thats what i wanted to do but i cant find the installer anywhere, was on the dock before i installed it. Have tried google for last 30 mins but cant find out where the installer is, so i presume it deleted it once it installed lion :-(
    Correct, the installer is placed in the Applications folder after downloading. Once you install it the file is deleted, you need to re-download it.

What? That sucks (not surprised though, its what I expected), Do Apple think everyone lives in America with unlimited bandwidth and data allowances? Want to backup to a DVD? Bad luck we not gonna let you. Well, thats good to have confirmed anyway. Guess I'll stay with SL.

There's already at least one reference on how to retain the installer:

Creating a Lion Install Disc | Key Options Technology

I'm working on an install walk-through article at the moment and I'll go through these scenarios as part of the article (I've got 3 Macs here and I don't want a 12GB download to upgrade them).

David

You can back it up to a DVD, no problems at all.
    You can also create a bootable installation DVD/USB drive with minimal effort, from a DMG file contained within the installer.
    You just need to be a little proactive and do that before running the installer downloaded from the MAS.

*beaten* - and with a link too! :P

How do you stop it from auto-installing? Is there something in the App store prefs that lets you do this? Everything I have got from the app store just installs anyway, I don't get an option to delay it. This is the thing that bothered me...

It doesn't auto-install in the way you think. It downloads an "Install Mac OS X Lion" application and places that in your Applications.

You still have to initiate the installation.

Quote Originally Posted by ArghDee View Post
    It doesn't auto-install in the way you think. It downloads an "Install Mac OS X Lion" application and places that in your Applications.

You still have to initiate the installation.
    OK, that makes things much more palateable. I may just u/g anyway, though I suspect my 2007 imac with 4G of RAM may well struggle a bit.

[edit] OK, donwloading now
    Last edited by kyte; 21st July 2011 at 05:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyte View Post
    OK, that makes things much more palateable. I may just u/g anyway, though I suspect my 2007 imac with 4G of RAM may well struggle a bit.

[edit] OK, donwloading now

I doubt it, should be fine.

Ok sweet thanks for the help, how can i re-download it with out re install or dropping back to SL??

If you've already downloaded and installed Lion, and you didn't keep a copy of the installer somewhere, then you'll have to download it again. Just go into App Store and click the install button and away you go.

If you've kept the installer then you can re-use it.

David

Default Install Lion without Snow Leopard

Quote Originally Posted by glacierdave View Post
    There's already at least one reference on how to retain the installer:

Creating a Lion Install Disc | Key Options Technology

I'm working on an install walk-through article at the moment and I'll go through these scenarios as part of the article (I've got 3 Macs here and I don't want a 12GB download to upgrade them).

David
    I read this little gem today where Lion was installed from a USB stick without any previous OS versions installed.

Now if that is true that will make allot of people happy. Though I have Snow Leopard and will be upgrading to Lion when I return from overseas in mid August - by then a point upgrade might be available - my girl friend only has Leopard installed. I was going to upgrade her to Snow Leopard then to Lion using my Snow Leopard Box Set but if you can install Lion without Snow Leopard as per the above article then why bother to install Snow leopard in the first place?

This would be really great news. By the time I return from overseas more results should be in about this install method.
    iMac 27" 3.2Gb with 32Gb RAM, 2Tb Time Capsule & Airport Express,
    iPod 5.5 30g, iPhone 4, iPad 2, iPad Mini
    Bruji the best cataloguing programs for Mac OS & iOS

You can take the InstallESD.dmg file (right click the 'Install Mac OS X Lion" application and select 'show package contents') and using Disk Utility create a boot DVD or USB key. Note: the USB key's capacity will need to be greater than 4GB as the less than 4GB dmg gets extracted to 4.2GB, which is fine for a DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by FineWine View Post
    I read this little gem today where Lion was installed from a USB stick without any previous OS versions installed.

Now if that is true that will make allot of people happy. Though I have Snow Leopard and will be upgrading to Lion when I return from overseas in mid August - by then a point upgrade might be available - my girl friend only has Leopard installed. I was going to upgrade her to Snow Leopard then to Lion using my Snow Leopard Box Set but if you can install Lion without Snow Leopard as per the above article then why bother to install Snow leopard in the first place?

This would be really great news. By the time I return from overseas more results should be in about this install method.
    This should work fine as long as it's understood that it's a clean install.

From there you may (or may not, I haven't really given the topic much thought) run into data migration issues. That's going to depend a lot on what apps you rely on.

David

Quote Originally Posted by glacierdave View Post
    This should work fine as long as it's understood that it's a clean install.

From there you may (or may not, I haven't really given the topic much thought) run into data migration issues. That's going to depend a lot on what apps you rely on.

David
    MMM - had not thought that one through. But still for those who home install new hard drives etc. it will be a boon.

Looks as though I WILL have to upgrade my girl friends using my old Snow Leopard Box set, then doing the SL point upgrades to get the App Store etc then install Lion the Apple conventional way.

Mind you I can still install Lion for her from a Flash Drive to save on her bandwidth.
    iMac 27" 3.2Gb with 32Gb RAM, 2Tb Time Capsule & Airport Express,
    iPod 5.5 30g, iPhone 4, iPad 2, iPad Mini
    Bruji the best cataloguing programs for Mac OS & iOS

The installation article is great and a really good explanation, good on you Glacierdave for writing it, it answered all mine (and I'm sure many others) questions which really do need to be answered prior to downloading the OSX Lion installer, especially if you have multiple Macs and don't want to blow your download limit.

The actual method, ie, having to copy the installer somewhere else prior to installation does seem a bit messy. I think Apple need to refine that aspect.

I wonder also will software updates now come via the Mac App Store?

anyway just some thoughts, looking forward to upgrading tonight when home from work...

Glen
    ----------------------------------------
    A Dog's Breakfast

Reminder: you can also "burn" the dmg to an SD card (8GB would seem the best size). As most modern Mac's have an SD card reader (which you can boot from), it's a very easy and portable way to have a copy of the OS. Beware though: They are also VERY easy to lose! haha!

Quote Originally Posted by glenmorrow View Post
    I wonder also will software updates now come via the Mac App Store?
    My feeling is that it'll go through Software Updates. Of course, being a Mac App Store 'app' does suggest updates through MAS, but I don't think it's going to happen given SU is the mechanism for existing updates (e.g. new iTunes 10.4 for Lion). SU was also used for the Developer Previews.

We'll wait and see. But to me, my money is on SU for 10.7.1.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast