Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

╗ Join the discussions, Register Now!

Ever since 10.4.3 my dock now does this ...

If I create a new item on the dock either by right clicking and selecting "Keep In Dock" or by dragging an app onto it, the item gets created no problem, however, when I next restart my machine, they are all gone. Even the ones I deleted are back ...

Any ideas why this is recreating the dock exactly to the way it was before the update ?

Also, how do I report this as a problem with Apple ? I got lost looking on their support page. perhaps I'm just blinded by frustration/anger atm ... pls help.

I code, I eat and I'm hungry for more.

*sniff sniff* ... it's now happening with my widgets ... I tried out the World Clocks ... I put two on them on my desktop, and I thought they look good, then I noticed each one was sucking up 25% of the CPU and I thought bugger that and I remove them, CPU drops right down and all is good ... until the next time I power up my machine (yes I do shutdown properly via the Finder menu in the top left hand corner).

I don't want to have to do a reinstall - otherwise, I'm just no better than a Windows user.

Try repairing permissions and seee if that improves things.
    Pass the crystal, spread the Tarot, in illusion comfort lies

http://www.mistfall.com/

hey, no shame in doing a reinstall! i did my first ever clean reinstall of tiger on my quicksilver! after 4 years of great big updates...all that info just clutters up and slows the machine down.. just back up and do it
    Just Chillin.

Delete your com.apple.dock.plist file first! It will do the same thing as a re-install and should set your dock and dock permissions back to default

I would say there is a widget plist file as well you can delete.
    "Scrolls as fast as butter!" -- SJ

BTW, I've got little snitch, and since the 10.4.3 update, the dock has been wanting to connect to the net. Anyone know why?
    iMac 27" 2.66i5/1Tb/12Gb | 32Gb iPhone 5
    "I wish they'd just wipe out humanity and get it over with. It's the waiting I can't stand." - Fry, Futurama.

Frontrow checker - if detected - reports to apple online - imminent 32 pass wipe erase on reboot

actually have no idea - how do you know it wants net acces - is it asking for keychain?
    Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz C2D, Apple 23" HD Display and Black 16GB iPhone 3G...
    Successful Sales - chrism238, ARB, Bob, Goodbye, chrissara, garrymacdonald, lavo, jubilantjeremy, Jordan M, mulquemi, avolve x 2, macaholic, warren21, Meh 626...

The Dock plist should fix Dashboard too: the Dock application controls ExposÚ and Dashboard.
    I'd also definitely repair permissions (after most OS upgrades that's essential).

I'll have to try that ... just for more Finder madness ...

I was looking at a series of files on a DVD in Finder and I was about to copy them to the Desktop.

I went to select a group of files and then *pop* one of them disappears ...

and then I closed the window, etc and still nothing then about 3-4 minutes later I was looking at it saying to my fiance, the file is missing off the DVD and then *pop* it was back again.

My mac never did any of this until 10.4.3 ... hrmmm ... I'm over it.