Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Smile

Hi. I am having a problem with dashboard causing all of my applications to crash after quiting dashboard. The problem only occurs sometimes and is fixed byt logging out and back in again or if not that a forced restart. I have recorded my problem with SnapzPro. You can find a recording of it can be found at the following link:

http://web.aanet.com.au/apple/jeffrey/ScreenSnapz.mov

I have tried deleting the dashboard preferences but the problem still came back. I am running the latest version of Tiger (10.4.3) and so therefore have the latest version of dashboard. I have made sure that all of my widgets are also up to date. I have also tried using only Apple deafault widgets but the problem still continued.

Please help me!

Thank you in advance.

Jeffrey

In your user folder, inside Library/logs, can you find a crash log anywhere that shows actually what is crashing? If all your apps suddenly crash, then it is usually something like one of the background daemons that controls fonts or the like crashing that is causing the problem.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

I have attached the log files that are found in the crash reporter folder in the library logs folder...

Weird. Doesn't even list what crashed.

If you open /Applications/Utilities/Console and click on the "Logs" button on the top left, you'll get a list of logs. You want to look at the "/Library/CrashReporter" section. Tell me what apps are listed there. Note: it's not the section starting with a ~.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

attached image

What an interesting thread, I've also carried out Currawong's advice with regard to the log, wanting of course, to see if I could ascertain the cause of my Trash filling up with a Recovered File Preview every time I use iPhoto.

It's like looking for a needle in a haystack with the hundreds of entries, but I couldn't see anything that made any sense in the iPhoto crash log.
    Thinking about what next to think about . . . . . . . . .
    24" iMac: 15" iMac G4 "lampshade" 12" Performa 580

bump

Tried repairing the permissions using Disk Utility ? That usually fixes the weird stuff ...
    I code, I eat and I'm hungry for more.

yes, it fixes it, but only for like 2 weeks, then its back to its old tricks...

Thumbs up

Backup and reinstall?
    Antec 1200 Tower - 3.4GHz i7 | 16GB | 2TB | Win 7 Ultimate
    iBook G4 1.33Ghz | iPad Mini Wifi 16GB | iPhone 4S 16GB | Apple TV Gen2 | iPad 2 Wifi 16GB