Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Macbook Pro won't turn on

Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro (not sure the year, maybe 2007 or 2008).

It will not turn on. I have tried everything that apple suggests. When I press the button on the bottom on the battery it lights up 5 green circles so am assuming it is fully charged. I have left it charging for 2 days but it still won't turn on.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I can't get the cd in to boot it from the disk cos it is completely dead...

also....
    * if i cannot get it to boot up, does that mean i have lost all my data? all im really concerned about is my photos, i dont have them backed up any where
    * if i take it to a apple shop, how much do they charge to look at it?
    thanks
    Last edited by rachael85; 15th June 2011 at 06:00 PM.

Silly question, but is it definitely off? Pressing and holding the power button for five seconds will ensure it is, then try pushing it again to switch it on. I've had my MBP appear off (no screen display at all) but it actually failed to wake from sleep mode. Pushing and holding the power button killed the power so I was able to restart.

Also - what is the sleep light doing? Is there any activity there at all when you try re-starting?

Hahaha, yes silly question! It is definately off. I have pushed the on/off button many times, held it down down different lengths of times, taken the battery out, reset my RAM.
    There is no light, normally when it is sleeping it fades in and out, i have nothing! No activity at all when i try restarting, no lights, no sounds, no screen activity, nothing!!

Thanks

Remove hard disk. Backup separately. Service Mac. It happens.

thanks icant. if ive removed my hard disk, how do i back it up? i've got an appointment tonight with a "genius bar tech", will they charge to do that?

so i have just got back from apple. in a nutshell, i should just throw it in the bin! apparently to logic board has had it, they have quoted me approx $2200 to fix it.... umm yeah ok! price of new mbp they quoted $2099.... great!

Rachael, you best just getting a new one, and take the Macbook to some one who can back up the data off the hard drive on the fried Macbook, thats your best bet,

Like with out been mean or any thing, next time back up not saying this might happen again, but like if you back up if it does you are safe

i dont have a spare 2 grand lying around to get a new one (or get it fixed!!!).
    yes i know i should have backed it up, i got slack, i used to but havent done it for about a year

Quote Originally Posted by rachael85 View Post
    i dont have a spare 2 grand lying around to get a new one (or get it fixed!!!).
    yes i know i should have backed it up, i got slack, i used to but havent done it for about a year
    I don't know what level of tech skills your comfortable with so if this sounds too much, find an Apple repairer nearby and ask them instead.

If the hard drive in your MBP is still working (and it might be, no way to tell from what you've said so far) then all you really need to do is remove it from your MBP and install it in a drive enclosure. These can be had from any number of computer stores (not just Mac-centric ones). Typically, they'll have a USB connector so you can connect it to any other computer. At that point, you can then see if you can get data off the hard drive.

You can run into problems if you only have a Windows computer available as it may not be set up to handle Apple's hard drive file system. If this is the case, you may need an Apple repairer who can convert the contents of the drive into something you can access under Windows. If you've got another Mac, this won't be a problem.

(Oh, and on the subject of the cost of repair/replace on your failed MBP - if you've got home contents insurance it might be worth having a chat to them. Depending on the reasons for your computer failing you may be able to claim most of the cost of a replacement.)

David

yeah the "genius" offered to take the hard drive out for me and told me about the above, that will be my next step.
    ive looked into my contents insurance, no go

this will be my last apple!
    Last edited by rachael85; 16th June 2011 at 09:15 PM.

Insurance fraud
    You know it's illegal right?

yes so lets hope apple fixes it otherwise i will be throwing it out the window and claiming it under accidental damage!

If I'm right, this model may come under the faulty graphics card fix. Mine did. Try getting a second opinion, plus push the free fix program they have running.

They will know about it.

If all else fails, there are people out there who can fix this for a whole lot less - like under 500 bucks from memory.

Quote Originally Posted by paronga View Post
    Insurance fraud
    You know it's illegal right?
    Insurance fraud? Where did you get that from?
    Some insurances will include stuff like this - obviously rachael85's doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutters View Post
    plus push the free fix program they have running.
    what is this free fix program?

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tom5955 View Post
    Insurance fraud? Where did you get that from?
    Some insurances will include stuff like this - obviously rachael85's doesn't.
    haha, i edited my above comment... just wrote what i was thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by rachael85 View Post
    what is this free fix program?
    This.

"If the NVIDIA graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within four years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty."

Affected models: MacBook Pro 15-inch and 17-inch models with NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processors:
    * MacBook Pro (17-Inch, 2.4GHz)
    * MacBook Pro (15-Inch, 2.4/2.2GHz)
    * MacBook Pro (Early 2008)

What Brains said. Hadn't realised they'd stuck a time limit on it though.

I had mine done late last year.

UPDATE:

So I look my MBP into Apple on Sunday. I explained that I had been in on Thursday and the guy had told me I needed a new logic board, so I did my own research and found the graphics card issue. I explained that I was having the screen issues/symptoms before it completely shut down and wouldn't turn on. I guy a spoke to on Sunday was so good, he's like yep no worries I'll put it through under the graphics card issue and see what we can do.

Got a call on Wednesday night from the technician that had been working on it all day. He said he thinks all it was was RAM creep (?), but he had never seen it this bad. He explained what RAM creep is and I said oh well that was me, Apple tells you to take the RAM out and put it back in trying different combinations, so I musnt have put the RAM sticks back in properly. He said as soon as he put the RAM back in properly it started up fine!!! (opps!) Anyway, he ran a number of tests, including the NVIDIA test but there is nothing wrong with it.... Good news, but don't I feel a bit silly!!! I need to learn how to put my RAM back in properly in case it ever happens again!

The tech recons my MBP will only last another 6 months to a year before I have to buy a new one. I hope not, I love my MBP! And other than this last issue, I have never had a problem with it in 4 years.

I've bought a shinny new 1TB external hard drive today and I'm going home to back up all my data (especially my photos which is what I've been worried about loosing!!)

Thanks for all your help guys, a good outcome

I'm happy for you that it turned out to be something simple, and not a disaster.
    And good on you for buying an external HD for backup.

Storage is so cheap, and backup is so easy with Time Machine, there is really no excuse except ignorance.
    Live life with Blue Sun

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast