Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Apple planning something?

Possibly the formal introduction of the Square credit card reader devices as the basis for card transactions at all Apple stores, replacing the custom developed hardware/software combination they're currently using. Just guessing, based on this.
    The status quo ain't what it used to be.

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

I don't see why Apple would need to shroud the entire store for the sake of changing their payment processing system. That said I've got no idea what might be planned

In my opinion this can only be possibly for the following reasons:

1. 10th Anniversary celebrations
    2. T-Mobile/Sprint iphone
    3. Drastic pricing change
    4. A training exercise

And this is what I think about each one.

1. 10th Anniversary celebrations
    Very possible. And if they are handing out T-shirts etc you'd only need one back of store guy to organise it. And maybe a genius or two if they are having 10th Anniversary slide shows on their display models in store. And the NDA would be there to make it all secret. But I thought Apple would want this to be a world wide thing, so more global sales. The US only thing makes me thing this is not it. Maybe Apple do want it to be US only. And if this is the case it'd be very silly indeed.

And it's not advertised. I'm sure Apple would want to let the world know "come to our 10th Anniversary event"

2. T-Mobile/Sprint iphone
    Not too possible. The geniuses and back staff requirements are there. The NDA would be needed too. And it meets the US only requirement. But even the white iphone got a mention on the website before it was released. Plus Apple retail staff would only find about it the same day the public do. So unlikely.

3. Drastic pricing change.
    Rather likely. To stay competitive in the market. Would be a US only price change. But why would you need back of house and geniuses there for that. You wouldn't. So it does not add up 100% like the rest.

4. A training exercise
    Rather likely. It's just a meeting. For everyone to attend. But then why all the cloak and dagger stuff like locking phones away, black curtains and NDAs. Unless it is a dress rehearsal for an even bigger launch in the coming days.

I think all 4 have reasons why they can and can not be plausible. But for me the most likely one is 4.
    I am justice defined.

Is it international?
    Yagan Kiely
    Website || IMSLP || Pirate Party Australia
     2008 MacBook Pro 15" — 2010 MacBook Air 13" — iPhone 4 (32gb) — iPad 3G 64gb— etc.

I'm hearing the same whispers here in Melbourne from a reasonable source - nothing more than that tho.

Quote Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
    3. Drastic pricing change.
    Rather likely. To stay competitive in the market. Would be a US only price change. But why would you need back of house and geniuses there for that. You wouldn't. So it does not add up 100% like the rest.
    Don't see how this is at all likely. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see some better bang for buck, but they seem to be plenty profitable at their current pricing, so there's no real driver to change that now.

Quote Originally Posted by yagankiely View Post
    Is it international?
    Supposedly yes.

"This Saturday (21st), all Australian (at least) retail stores will under go visual merchandising from 6pm – 6am (22nd),"
    "A sheet will be raised to prevent any one seeing inside, and from 6am – 10am, all apple [sic] retail staff will participate in a compulsory meeting.
    Apple preparations global, may be tied to 'Apple Store 2.0'
    I am justice defined.

A new store experience will occur this Saturday across Australia.... First time zone for the world and it's market... So get excite guys!!!!

^I'm not sure what they can change about the "Store Experience".

Unless every visit includes free cake. Or bacon.

@Mitty

They need to curtain up to install the portable frying pans next to each display Mac. iBacon.

Quote Originally Posted by lavo View Post
    @Mitty

They need to curtain up to install the portable frying pans next to each display Mac. iBacon.
    As long as the iBacon is cooked in iLard then I'll be there with my napkin!
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

Quote Originally Posted by Lutze View Post
    As long as the iBacon is cooked in iLard then I'll be there with my napkin!
    What? No iNapkin?!
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff3DMN View Post
    What? No iNapkin?!
    I had to try to keep the thread going for others - there is, of course, icuttlefish to be named
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

Quote Originally Posted by Lutze View Post
    I had to try to keep the thread going for others - there is, of course, icuttlefish to be named
    Hope iBeer is serve, or I aint going to my local store to see whats different. lol Sorry couldn't resist joining in.

Maybe this has got something to do with it...

Free Apple products on Judgement Day, perhaps?!
    Last edited by stomick; 20th May 2011 at 04:01 PM.

You wouldn't want that iBacon in the iFrier to be putting fat all over the iMacs unless they are introducing some form of iRecipe book which can handle all the iFoods as well as all the regular foods.

Seriously though, no idea what's coming. Maybe some special sale, could explain the online store going down on wednesday but those boxes and a NDA? That I can't explain.

BACON!?!?!? WHERE?

Only a matter of hours until we find out...

Ollie

A new store experience will occur this Saturday across Australia.... First time zone for the world and it's market... So get excite guys!!!!
    Gonna loose that to New Zealond soonish.

Would've thought they'd try and get the New Zealand store up for this, I believe it would be Apple's 12th country?
    Yagan Kiely
    Website || IMSLP || Pirate Party Australia
     2008 MacBook Pro 15" — 2010 MacBook Air 13" — iPhone 4 (32gb) — iPad 3G 64gb— etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast