Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default After one year, is Flash really relevant

This ZdNet blogger really puts the final word on Adobe Flash on Mobile Devices, well Ok, not final, but gets it to the point...
    One year after iPad: Is Adobe Flash still relevant? | ZDNet
    27inch 2011 i7 12GB Ram iMac
    What Else Could I Ask For?

I still regularly bash my head when hitting websites that only function with Flash. There are a lot out there, and companies aren't going to change it quickly when it means and entire website to be remade.
    Successful trade with: Clockwork.....(and what a trade!)

Quote Originally Posted by woofy View Post
    I still regularly bash my head when hitting websites that only function with Flash. There are a lot out there, and companies aren't going to change it quickly when it means and entire website to be remade.
    Same here. It's particularly annoying when you hit an Apple news site like TUAW and half the videos are from Vimeo or some other site that doesn't work with iOS.

My view on sites that don't update to HTML5 / iOS device versions (where they are available) is to stop visiting them. AOL sites (like TUAW) are best hit directly by not giving them advertising revenue - email them and say your moving away because even though they are an apple related blog they've still not moved past Flash.

I've done a Gruber and removed flash entirely from my computer. I still have *the back up plan* (chrome) but that's it.
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

I'm with Lutze. Most new browsers support the HTML5 specification for video so there's no reason sites should be sticking with Flash if they want full compatibility. The only reason they do stick with Flash is for DRM. I don't want to steal crap short videos so any site that would treat me as a thief simply for visiting them is a site I no longer visit.