Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default iphone 2G ios3 ?

Hi mactalkers,

I have the original iphone 2g running on 2.2.1 which was jailbroken and unlocked with pwanage a while ago. I am finding that some apps won't work on 2.2.1 so I want to upgrade to the next version of the ios I guess 3.xxx!

What is the best way to do this? Can I just unlock the phone without jailbreaking to ios 3.xxx? I am a bit confused on how and what... I believe having Cydia etc gives me many options, but I will never use them...

So a simple unlock and upgrade to ios 3 would be nice. I am also using an old optus sim card and now I've just discovered that i can add data on it How would the 2G iphone preform with data, and will it work?

Sorry for all the questions, it's been on my mind for a while to put some new life into a great piece of history!

Many thanks
    trade: glenmorrow, william, jobro, birdbrain, mutters, applecollector, tommelbourne, thebookfreak58, TERII82, p52, rob05,

2G will go up to 3.1.3. You'll need to use redsn0w on Windows or Mac, or PwnageTool on Mac to JB then unlock. If you're using a local carrier e.g. Optus on the 2G, it should already be JB'ed and unlocked since these were from AT&T.

In short, you'll need to create a custom IPSW then get the phone into DFU mode then restore the custom IPSW.

Without 3G, you'll be limited in data speed to EDGE and GPRS, but it will work. Just slowly.

Thanks Huy, awesome so now the question what's the easiest way to upgrade to 3.1.3 ? Sometimes when I've been in 'cydia' it says I can do that there... not sure.

cheers
    trade: glenmorrow, william, jobro, birdbrain, mutters, applecollector, tommelbourne, thebookfreak58, TERII82, p52, rob05,

PwnageTool 3.1.5. Get it. Run it. Create your own IPSW (source the firmware file here). When you run PwnageTool, you'll be able to unlock by ticking the options inside PwnageTool such as neuter the BL (you'll need additional files here for 4.6 BL or 3.9 BL, Google these) and unlock baseband.

Good luck. Google for more.

Thanks for the info! I am a bit confused by it all, because its been a while since the first unlock... Will this just unlock or jailbreak the phone as well? Is it possible just to unlock?

Thanks

I have to say, my wife's 2G with 3.1.3 runs things so much better than my 3G with 4.1

Quote Originally Posted by chocho View Post
    Thanks for the info! I am a bit confused by it all, because its been a while since the first unlock... Will this just unlock or jailbreak the phone as well? Is it possible just to unlock?
    It's both. You need to JB the 2G in order to unlock. Create the custom IPSW and it'll do both things.

Note I no longer have a 2G so I can't test anything.

ok, last question.... currently my 2G is jailbroken and unlocked, do i have to start from scratch with the jailbreaking and unlocking in order to update to ios 3.1... seems a tad complicated... can't i just update the ios in the pwnage tool program?

thanks

 iMac revA 233mhz. iBook (clamshell). iPod Photo. MacBookPro. Mac mini. iPad. iPhone 4S 
    "It's better to be a pirate than to join the Navy" - SPJ