Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Default Moving to Melbounre

So, if all goes to plan, it looks like I could be taking a job in Melbourne starting in a couple of months. My wife and I would be moving from Brisbane and I'm trying to find out which suburbs should be avoided and which should be on our list of potentials.

My work would almost be evenly split between the office in Dandenong and travel to the airport.

So, where would you live? Where would you avoid?
    Once you go Mac, you never go back...

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

Split between Dandenong and the Airport? You poor thing.

Yep those two places couldn't be further apart. You'd be looking at either mulgrave etc or further north to glen Waverley if you want to be even within an hr of the airport. Unless you go closer to Dandenong you'll be paying a premium to buy there but renting would b cheaper than Brisbane.
    Successful trade with: Clockwork.....(and what a trade!)

According to Google Maps the drive from Dandenong to the airport is 50 mins. Is that accurate?

Are you renting or buying? Budget?
    Something about Jimby.

No. I have lived in Burwood east, glen Waverley, mount Waverley, forest hill, Vermount sth and bayswater. I travel all over Melbourne including the airport and used to work at monash uni for years. On the best day with no traffic I can get to the airport in 40min from forest hill and I'm near the freeway.

On most early mornings 5amish I can get there in about 45min. From Dandenong you would either go the monash or the scresby bypass and the eastern, either way would be well over an hr at best....possibly 1.5hrs plus would be a typical trip, someone who lives there might have a better idea.

BTW you wouldn't want to live in Dandenong if you can avoid it, unless you are used to living in dodgy areas.

Renting at first, looking for something under $500 per week.

Thanks for the info woofy. I'd already been informed not to live in Dandenong (due to dodginess) which is why I think somewhere in between there and the airport might be more appropriate.

2020 Guest

Dandenong is one of the worst areas in Melbourne to live. A few years ago it was dubbed the child prostitute capital of Victoria in addition to being one of the highest crime suburbs, according to some police report. Although, that was read by me on the train in the trash tabloid MX (a free tabloid that litters trains here as it's given out at train stations) so possibly could be a beat-up story.

Going south or east of Dandenong isn't much better. Frankston is probably on par with Dandenong and tends to be home to a lot of hoons and violent gangs. Pakenham is... well... Pakenham; not much to be said of it. If you go west of Dandenong, things get significantly better but the rents also sky-rocket as it's all old-money and new, trendy rich people in the Brighton to Cheltenham strip. It's not until you start going north of Dandenong, past Rowville (which is another shit-hole) and into Glen Waverley that you start getting a good balance between nice area, decent rents (although in Melbourne, all rents are stupidly high in my opinion, no matter what area it is), low crime, etc.

The Burwood, Blackburn areas are fairly decent; generally good neighbourhoods, good facilities, shopping, etc. without too high a cost of living. Much east of there and you get into Ringwood which is a hovel. Much west and you get into Camberwell which, whilst my favourite suburb in Melbourne, is also a high-rent and cost of living area. So I'd say the general area around Burwood/Blackburn would be your best bet as it's decent living, not too far from the airport or Dandenong, Ok living costs, etc.

Hi MacTime,
    We are the opposite.
    Live in Narre Warren South (southeast of Dandenong - and away from Cranbourne as well!!).
    We will probably be moving to Brisbane for work at the end of the year.
    Unfortunately Tullamarine Airport is on the wrong side of the city for me as well.
    We are looking at the Wakerley area or surrounding suburbs - Brisbane Airport not far away, office NOT in the CBD, probably down around Eight Miles Plains.
    What is your opinion re Wakerley area - pros & cons?
    Thanks.

50 minutes Dandenong to Airport.........

It would be accurate if and only if,

- traffic is extremely light ie nowhere near peak times. If you are near peak times double it. The Monash is basically a car park both ways at peak times.
    - there are no accidents anywhere on the Monash, Westgate, Bolte Bridge or Tulla freeways, this is very unusual. A delay on any of those roads has a massive flow on effect.
    - there are no lanes closed for roadworks thus creating a massive backup, also unusual.

The roads are also toll roads so factor that into your budget. I would not even consider not using them to save some money as the extra time needed would be massive.

However, Melb is an awesome place and I hope you guys enjoy it.
    The bridge is crossed, so stand and watch it burn.

As said, around glen Waverley etc you will be able to find something easily for under $500. We had a well maintained rental place with 4 bedrooms in Burwood east for $270/wk there until recently when we bought. Rent is cheap in Melbourne despite people here thinking it is not. Brisbane is far worse. House prices are disproportionate though, those same areas and the house we rented there was worth nearly 600k. Renting meant we saved/invested the difference, and I at times wish we didn't buy.

2020 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by woofy View Post
    Rent is cheap in Melbourne despite people here thinking it is not.
    I'm not trying to be a smart-arse but the issue of rental prices being high in the Melbourne metropolitan area is a fact and not an opinion. It's one that is stated quite plainly on the Victoria government's census and planning website.

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    I'm not trying to be a smart-arse but the issue of rental prices being high in the Melbourne metropolitan area is a fact and not an opinion. It's one that is stated quite plainly on the Victoria government's census and planning website.
    Rental yields in Australia, not just Melbourne, make no sense whatsoever. Either rents are stupidly low or house prices are stupidly high. They're appallingly low yields and a terrible investment unless your aim is to make a sustained loss (i.e. you're an idiot) or you expect big capital gains (i.e. you don't care about the next year or two being flat).

In reality both rents and house prices need to change for them to make sense. We're already seeing some of this over the last quarter or so.

The government has to pay lip service to rents being out of control. The reality is that they're unsustainably cheap compared to house prices. I can promise you that if the state government has to choose between keeping rents down and keeping house prices up, they'll go for house prices.

In fact, I'll put money on the state budget having a another stimulus to "help" first home buyers that actually gets poured into sellers' pockets. My guess would be stamp duty cuts and another boost to the First Home Buyers'/Vendors' Grant.

EDIT: Back on topic: I lived in a bad area, Noble Park, before moving to a good area, Caulfield North. My insurance premiums are all higher in Caulfield. The bad areas aren't nearly as bad as people make out though there are some places I'd avoid.

Way back when I was at uni I did a few midnight shifts at the bottle shop in Dandenong Station's carpark (the one on Foster Street). That station is a dumping ground for criminals after 8pm. That was some years ago but I doubt it has improved much.
    Last edited by toholio; 2nd May 2011 at 09:56 AM.

If you don't want to spend too many $ you could look at Craigieburn, it's a little further out but it's on the Hume Freeway which links into the ring road which goes onto the Tullamarine (airport) freeway and being further out you're away from a lot of the hassles you get further inwards (except for the expensive upmarket suburbs).
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I have rented for the past 3 years post divorce, owned several homes around Malvern, Caulfiled and ST Kilda. Agreed capital value of homes are ridiculous, but totally disagree that rents are lower than perceived. I work on $1 per $1000 in capital value and have always got that in rental income, and as a renter now, that's about what I pay.

As for a compromise suburb to rent in between Dandy and the airport, I agree with most that Mt Waverley, Glen Waverley and heading in is a good point to start from. Also suggest realestate.com.au as a reference for your price range. Don't forget to checkout google for public transport availability since this can provide alternatives to driving in either direction. I always travelled by train to Southern Cross and used the Sky Bus from home and would be at the airport with relative ease in less than an hour.

2020 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by toholio View Post
    The government has to pay lip service to rents being out of control.
    I'm simply going off of government reports that state that in Victoria, in particular the Melbourne Metropolitan area (pretty much whatever is covered by the local transit system), rents are becoming unsustainable for a large portion of the community, specifically those of low to mid income levels, and that with an ageing population (roughly 20% will be over 60 by 2030 and the current under 17 will go from 20% to 15%), will make this worse by forcing demand for single-bedroom apartments.

Currently I'm on a disability pension and I'm living in a shitty suburb and a shitty house because I simply can't afford better. Admittedly part of my particular problem is being male and unemployed which makes sharing a house incredibly difficult (most advertisements seek either employed, student, or female... which is creepy when you realise that half those advertisements are by men over thirty), but it's still the reality for most people of my income level that finding decent accommodation anywhere closer to the city than, say, Mitcham, is becoming more and more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by toholio View Post
    EDIT: Back on topic: I lived in a bad area, Noble Park, before moving to a good area, Caulfield North. My insurance premiums are all higher in Caulfield. The bad areas aren't nearly as bad as people make out though there are some places I'd avoid.

Way back when I was at uni I did a few midnight shifts at the bottle shop in Dandenong Station's carpark (the one on Foster Street). That station is a dumping ground for criminals after 8pm. That was some years ago but I doubt it has improved much.
    I'd agree with that. I live in Ringwood, just near the train station, and it was recently announced by a police study into violent crime as one of the worst areas in Victoria. Yet I walk the streets at night for exercise and other than a few idiot hoons, rarely get bothered. Then again, I'm a big dude; I've read news reports of the elderly and disabled being robbed a lot around here so apparently the criminals are gutless and only look for easy targets.

50 mins from Dandenong to the airport? Flying! I lived in Glen Iris in 2003, 200m from the Monash on ramp, and the 12km freeway/Citylink trip used to take an hour in the mornings. Longer when driving to work on a Friday night.

I did the same move almost 10 years ago, and we started off in Doncaster. Its close to the Eastern Freeway, and even go down Bell St down to the Airport when needed. I got divorced, but I stayed in that area for a while, Doncaster, Bulleen, Donvale, then ended up moving closer to the CBD.

Seriously, Doncaster/Donvale is a nice place to start in Melbourne, IMHO.
    .: iPhone 3GS - 32gig - black .:. iMac 24" Intel .:. iPad 64gig Wi-Fi + 3G .:. 2011 17" MBP :.

Speaking as a Brunswick resident - if you're going to drive to work, I think you should aim for the inner north - Brunswick, Fitzroy, Carlton. Very Mac-friendly areas.

This will give you easy access to Eastlink to Dandenong AND Citylink to the airport (against the traffic in the morning to both Dandenong and the airport).
    13" MacBook Pro retina: i5 2.5GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD; Mac mini: i5 2.3GHz 8GB RAM Fused 240GB SSD and 500GB HDD; iMac: G4 17" 1.25GHz 2GB RAM 160GB HDD; iPhone 5 64GB; iPad mini 64GB LTE; Apple TV 3

2020, I know what people pay in Brisbane and Toowoomba in the last 10 yrs pay, and its a lot more than Melb by far. In that comparison, it is cheap compared to elsewhere. I've been renting in all three places and found that in Brisbane and most of QLD, you were actually better off for a long time buying the house you were renting.

For some reason smaller places in Melb are more expensive than larger places, when I was married 10 yrs ago we found a 3 bedroom house in Mount Waverley/Glen Waverley thereabouts was cheaper than a 1 or 2 bedroom unit. After moving around we also found that rent didn't start going up until around 2006, it had been stagnant for years. CBD is another story, but that is because a lot of 30 somethings finally got kicked out of home, and had cash to spare. Our last place was within 5 min walk to trams let alone buses, was just up from Deakin uni, and was $270 a week. We had a good landlord who fixed things, a well looked after house with 4 bedrooms, 2 big living areas, 4 yr old massive inground pool with solar and gas heating, new tassie oak kitchen, double lockup garage, newly done floorboards and a brand new 5 star GDH system. All in Burwood East just near a huge park, up from a large shopping centre. Gardening and lawn mowing included.

Its now renting for about $320/wk but that's peanuts compared to other cities. My workmate had to rent two places recently, both were poorly maintained, 3 bedrooms, with stuff falling apart, no garage (one had just street parking) no heating, no A/C and both were in Mitcham away from trains, buses, anything public transport really and she was and is paying $450/wk. The issue was she wanted to rent in Mitcham where the house prices used to be cheap so there is a higher amount of private owned houses and less rentals. Ringwood falls into the same category...

It depends on where you are, but the more expensive to buy suburbs are quite often cheap to rent in, maybe due to investors buying up stock? Our current place was renting for $360/wk and to buy it with a 20% deposit and current interest rates it costs us $2500/mth or $625/wk. There is a big discrepancy, I personally would like to see house prices held static for a while, people have been buying houses, not doing anything to them, and raking in capital gains that are entirely undeserved, I would like to see places return to being what they are worth again. The nicest way to do that is to keep that around current prices for a few years until the gap closes. The nasty way is to cause what happened in the US, which caused and still does, huge issues.

Of course the reason for all the house lunacy is that the govt wants our population to increase, they want people to invest in property with negative gearing etc, and punish you for saving any money in anything but super for the same reason they want you to invest in property. It's all to do with phasing out the pension, but revolved around influencing a basic need....housing. If they took away negative gearing for houses, removed stamp duty for houses that people lived in as a primary residence, and actually let you save X amount of money in the bank before being taxed, then our finance wouldn't be propped up by US loans, people could save more for houses and have less debt. Unless you are about to enter your twilight years, govt policy is not in your favour at the moment....../End rant.

My workmate lives in Brunswick and we work in Hawthorn, from the time it takes her to get here, you would soon stab yourself to death with whatever comes in handy long before you got to Dandenong from there. I reckon it would be a 1.5hr trip minimum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast