Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

I have a dead pixel in the top left of the my 12" PB. However when I turned it on tonight, the dead pixel had moved to a dead red sub pixel about 2cm to the lower right.

Does anyone know any reason for this and does this mean that dead pixels can be fixed somehow.

Moving dead pixels and an iBook that only works when it is stood on its side - it has been one wierd night for me! :o
    "Scrolls as fast as butter!" -- SJ

OMG the pixel that was stuck on red has decided fix itself and my original dead pixel has now become a dead subpixel!

So my screen has gone from 1 dead pixel to 2 dead pixels to half a dead pixel in 2 days. :blink:

What's the difference between a dead pixel and a dead sub pixel?

A sub pixel is a third of a pixel. Sub pixels are RGB colours

Makes sense, thanks.

Sorry to hear about the dead pixel/sub pixels.

I just want to know how they move! Maybe that means that they can be fixed through some magical procedure.

is it just me or does this sound like a common problem with apple pb? This seems to be the 50th post on the same subject in the last year.
    Sick of Bullshit? Go here
    www.youngausskeptics.com

iBook 14'' 1GB Ram, MBP(santa) 15" 4GB ram, iPod Nano(3G) 4gb, iPod shuffle 512mb, iPod Touch 8gb.

There are some who claim that a dead or faulty pixel on an LCD can be "massaged" back to life. Yep, physically massaged. About 5 years ago, I had a screen with a couple of dead pixels that in fact did respond to a bit of gentle massage therapy.

Also, try and make sure that there's nothing exerting pressure on the point(s) of the screen where you are having a problem, especially if you carry your laptop around in a bag.

Lightbulb

I got 2 stuck pixels on mine....
    Antec 1200 Tower - 3.4GHz i7 | 16GB | 2TB | Win 7 Ultimate
    iBook G4 1.33Ghz | iPad Mini Wifi 16GB | iPhone 4S 16GB | Apple TV Gen2 | iPad 2 Wifi 16GB

Interesting, I thought all of those masaging stories where BS untill i saw my pixels move around the screen!

i believe there is a software program that can revive dead pixels- my friend had it on his PB which revived dead pixels. I find out what it is.
    Daz
    Mac friendly.

Originally posted by daz@Nov 7 2005, 06:02 PM
    i believe there is a software program that can revive dead pixels- my friend had it on his PB which revived dead pixels. I find out what it is.
    Daz
    :o :blink: YOU MUST GET THE NAME OF THIS SOFTWARE!!!!!
    Antec 1200 Tower - 3.4GHz i7 | 16GB | 2TB | Win 7 Ultimate
    iBook G4 1.33Ghz | iPad Mini Wifi 16GB | iPhone 4S 16GB | Apple TV Gen2 | iPad 2 Wifi 16GB

I agree. I want the name of this software so I can have it before a dead pixel occurs on my PB.

it seems to be just a video that you loop
    anyway i found it here:
    http://www.widowpc.com/members/fix_dead_pixels.zip

Woah.... Watched the video

OMG im having a shock hmmm, it seems to have dead pixels on the video
    Look at it with full screen you see on the side it has a black pixel

Mabye its just me

nah it is there dunno what it is tho
    righto then

Is that the same piece of software that your mate used daz?

Your dead pixels/subpixels can't 'move', you're just unlucky enough to have a couple that are intermittently defective.

Rapidly changing the colours on an LCD and/or gently massaging the area can fix it, but it won't always work. Some people are skeptical that 'massaging' works, but nuts to them. I've done it myself (both the colour flashing and massaging) on three LCDs and it worked on two of them. There's nothing magical about this particular movie, you could even make one yourself by copying-and-pasting blocks of colour one frame at a time into QuickTime and then looping it.

Personally I won't ever buy an LCD product without either a zero dead pixel guarantee or looking at the actual unit I'm buying first. Which is pity with Apple products because they don't offer the former, and it's very hard to do the latter, unless you buy a floor model from an AppleCentre.

EDIT - it stands to reason that the same action which can cause a stuck pixel to become unstuck can also stick other ones! I've read many forums where people have cured stuck pixels and gotten new ones after running these movies full screen overnight. To be safe, you only need to run the movie right over the stuck pixel. Shrink the movie to half or quarter size and run it over the affected area only!
    "O, what may man within him hide, Though angel on the outward side" - William Shakespeare