Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2011 Macbook airs

New macbook airs are supposedly on the way, with mass production to begin late may. Nothing really noteworthy, just cpu/gpu upgrades and the inclusion of thunderbolt.

Read here AppleInsider | Apple to begin production of Thunderbolt MacBook Airs next month

It would be the first time a MacBook Air can use Target Disk Mode—in the event a compatible cable shows up.

Cheers
    Mick

The folk over at macrumors are pretty confident that we'll be seeing them on wednesday (thursday for us here)

CORRECTION: Source had mixed up part numbers, it is unlocked iPhones that will be headed to US Apple Stores for Wednesday, NOT MacBook Airs.
    New MacBook Air Due This Wednesday? [Updatedx4 - Nope] - Mac Rumors

Looks like no new MBA's on Wednesday/Thursday.
    I am justice defined.

I rather wait for it to come out with Lion. A Lion recovery stick would be nice to have, if they include one.

Quote Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
    New MacBook Air Due This Wednesday? [Updatedx4 - Nope] - Mac Rumors

Looks like no new MBA's on Wednesday/Thursday.
    So frustrating - just couldn't justify getting a MBA with the imminent update, but it not being this week, I'm out.

I threw in the towel and got a MBP; will just have to pimp it out with RAM and an SSD and pretend it's as light and thin as a MBA. On the off chance, I might not open it until the 14 day return period is up.

Well, it looks like it won't ship until Lion's out:

Apple holding new Mac hardware updates until OSX Lion launches

makes sense
    Cheers
    Mick

I'm hoping that they finally release a model with a backlit keyboard, they've been useless to me since they went to the new shape and our old one is dying!
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

A backlit keyboard would be nice, but I won't mind if it's not there. Hope it comes with at least 4GB RAM, though.

dont forget the HD isight camera

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff3DMN View Post
    they finally release a model with a backlit keyboard, they've been useless to me since they went to the new shape
    Useless? Woosh.

Steve_D's Avatar Steve_D is offline Hold on.... Let me Google that for you.

Im hoping that they do upgrade the ram to 8GB.

I know that its not the roomiest machine but the extra grunt will mean that if it had the ram it would be a handy demo unit to take places. Instead of lugging around a full sized Macbook Pro.

On saying that though i REALLY hope they do an upgrade of the Macbook Pro sooner rather than later. I dont care about super thin, but thin enough so they can still stick a real HD (for large storage, ala the new iMacs) in there and they get rid of the DVD drive to do it..... and add dedicated graphics to the 13" already ffs..... oh and make it black

But thats just my wish list for both

think i might have to get one for the missus (and myself)
    .: iPhone 3GS - 32gig - black .:. iMac 24" Intel .:. iPad 64gig Wi-Fi + 3G .:. 2011 17" MBP :.

I'm ready to upgrade my 2010 MacBook to either a MacBook Air or a MacBook Pro. I'm 90% leaning towards a new Air, I'm just waiting to see what the specs are like when they're finally released. BTW, I don't recall a speed bump for a mac computer (rather than a redesign) getting so much airplay on the rumour mill. This update has had rumours going round since at least April.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_D View Post
    Im hoping that they do upgrade the ram to 8GB.

I know that its not the roomiest machine but the extra grunt will mean that if it had the ram it would be a handy demo unit to take places. Instead of lugging around a full sized Macbook Pro.

On saying that though i REALLY hope they do an upgrade of the Macbook Pro sooner rather than later. I dont care about super thin, but thin enough so they can still stick a real HD (for large storage, ala the new iMacs) in there and they get rid of the DVD drive to do it..... and add dedicated graphics to the 13" already ffs..... oh and make it black

But thats just my wish list for both
    I dont think 8GB RAM is likely for MBA's, not sure there is any reason for it either. They fly with 4GB & the C2D processor with the SSD anyway, I run FCP, Adobe CS5 & W7 on mine with ease. Given their designed purpose I cant see much change other than the i5 processor and TB port.

If all the rumours are correct that Apple is upgrading all the Store computers to 4GB of RAM so that Lion plays nicely on them, I could see Apple upgrading all the base configs to be 4 GB RAM (minimum) with 8 GB a BTO option.

TUAW has a nice roundup of all the rumours here: MacBook Air rumour roundup.

So (let's see how many of these actually pan out) it will have:
    1) Sandy Bridge processor
    2) thunderbolt
    3) backlit keyboard
    4) base RAM of 4 GB (up from 2 GB)
    5) base hard drive size of 128 GB (up from 64 GB)
    6) will launch late next week (22nd or 23rd July)

If those are all true, I can see myself definitely buying one, but I can't help thinking at least some of them could be wishful thinking.

#6 Won't happen unless they either
    a) Release Lion before hand
    or
    b) Put a pre-order system in, saying they'll ship on the release of Lion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast