Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Question Can anyone tell me is there going to be a ACMT exam in Australia this year?

Hi everyone

I am a junior computer technician from New Zealand. Currently I am doing my self paced study on ACMT, but unfortunately there isn't any related exams will be holding in NZ. So I just wonder if you nice guys can give me any info on that in Australia

Anything will be appreciate

Thank you

P.S. I just found this link Accessing Pearson VUE Service Exams

DOES IT MEAN I DO NOT NEED TO GO TO A TRAINING CENTER AND CAN STILL DO THE TWO EXAMS ?
    Last edited by lynnman; 5th January 2014 at 12:22 PM.

Apple changed their certification process for techs about a year (or more?) ago.

Previously, you needed to complete an ACMT certification in person at a Prometric testing centre for your initial certification. After that, you had to complete an annual recertification exam that was done online.

The annual recertification no longer applies. Instead, Apple now expects techs to certify on various technologies and systems individually (e.g. one exam for IOS devices, another for Retina MacBook Pro, another for iMac, and so on). These are all open book online exams.

I haven't had to research the initial certification process lately but I believe it has also become an online exam (or two).

If you're currently working for an Apple Authorised Repairer, they should be able to sort you out with access to GSX. You'll find heaps of relevant technical and training material available to you for free on GSX.

How you prepare for those exams is your choice.

If you're a motivated self-learner then you can just study the manuals and other material on GSX and you're good to go.

If you're more a hands-on learner then hassle your employer to learn more under their guidance.

If you're a structured learner then you may benefit from taking an instructor-led course. Check out places like Dimension Data (in Australia, anyway) among others.

David

wow thank you very much for your kind reply. There is another thing I also need to sort out. I need a Apple TechID to access the exam booking system, but every time I try to apply for it using all 3 my Apple ID, the system always gives me an error 'Access for your type of Apple ID is not supported.' Do you know anything about this?

It's a while since I had to set up my Tech ID but, from memory, it has to be a completely separate entity to any existing Apple ID. Typically, it'll be on an email address provided by your employer and they'll also help organise the Tech ID and access to GSX.

If you aren't currently employed, try setting it up on a new Apple ID. It should get you a Tech ID but you won't have access to GSX.

David