Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default TNT - anyone else have issues with them and delivery of Apple products?

Not sure that this is co-incidence or not. in the past TNT have been the only reliable courier I can get to come to my place. Only an hour from Melbourne but rural area and couriers hate wasting the time to come 10 minutes out of the township to deliver.

So, ordered new macbook pro after Christmas. Throw in a public holiday and have a later than usual delivery date, which I expected. Received shipment info and over a period of 7 days, it went back and forth between 3 depots and then nothing. Started to call TNT and was told I would receive return phone calls and it would never happen. Stayed home for 5 business days when I finally had to get the hell out of the house and do things like go to work.

After 10 days was told that it was lost. They did nothing so I contacted Apple. Apple were concerned enough to get on to them through their own department that deals with TNT. Day 12 received notification that delivery was to be that day and it finally arrived at 5pm. Apple called me 2 days later and said to ask "J" (my hubby that signed for it) where the MBP was because he signed for it. WTF? Bit late. Better late than never, 9 days after TNT originally said it was due for delivery.

So Apple person I was dealing with rang me day 15 and said she would like to apologise for the inconvenience and offered something to the value of $50 from the Apple store online. I chose headphones and they were shipped the next day. With expected delivery the 15th. Here we are today and still no delivery. I called TNT early morning, because I cannot stay another day home waiting for $35 headphones. I'm on the road for work so cannot have delivery to workplace. They tell me that Apple will call me by 10am. No phone call. Tracking info also shows back and forth between 3 depots and then nothing since the 16th. Both times items have arrived in Melb from Sydney overnight.

With few exceptions, TNT (in common with most of the major courier companies, I might add) has no employed delivery staff. In general, this is something that's sub-contracted out. Sometimes to an owner/driver who handles delivery within a certain territory and sometimes to a more local freight company (which might also be handling local deliveries for other major courier companies).

From what I gather, these subbies are being paid a small amount per parcel delivered. That might be economical for the likes of TNT but it means that a parcel that isn't easily delivered on the first go quickly becomes a pain in the ar$e of the poor delivery driver at the end of the delivery chain.

Not wanting to cast aspersions particularly, but some of these subbies are also possessed of a minimal amount of care factor. They aren't really trying all that hard. Sad, but true. (I should add, there's also any number of subbies who really put in a fantastic "above and beyond" effort too.)

It sounds to me like you're the victim of one of these situations. I own a couple of businesses that regularly receive interstate freight (multiple times each week) and I've had the same problems with some of our local delivery guys from time to time. Some are great, some not. There's often little you can do but deal with it.

For us, that sometimes mean we have to go to whatever depot the driver works out of and pick up goods ourselves rather than relying on delivery. Perhaps that might work for you too?

David

The few times we used TNT through Apple we got stuffed around as well :/
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

No complaints here. The big enclosed TNT truck with a TNT employed driver has always delivered promptly in our rural town, Muswellbrook, NSW. Reading your experiences gives me cause to appreciate my delivery bloke's prompt efforts. If Apple says it'll be delivered on Friday, it's delivered on Friday or even Thursday.

No complaints from TNT here, they're here at the same time of day (between 12:30 & 1:30) whenever we order something and they're always great to deal with. Australia Post on the other hand, if it's anyone but our regular delivery driver we can expect a card in the mailbox even if we're home, sometimes we don't even get that and go to the post office to find it's been sitting there for a week.

Apparently it's lost at a depot, as it was last time. They are looking for it. I can't blame the driver because it was last sent to the other side of town's depot.

Just got off the phone to Apple and they are going to resend another one tomorrow. He said if the lost one turns up, then don't worry about returning. Pity they never said that about the MBP!

We used to use TNT as our courier at work. Finally, after screwing up very badly with an urgent international delivery of some very expensive equipment, we gave up on them. Lost and late packages were a regular occurrence.

Seriously, TNT are a joke. I'm surprised that Apple uses them.
    Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two...

Cheap would be why. I've quite often had to go to the depot in Melb to get a $15 or less item. Probably would be cheaper to buy it again sometimes when you think about fuel.

Auspost are completely useless, I've had registered parcels that require signatures sitting at our front door when we were right there, no knock no nothing. I've even opened the door when I heard them and catch them out. At one stage our things used to be delivered across the road to the non english speaking tenants there who just accepted everything. It wasn't until I went and showed them my name and asked I found a stash of things long overdue. I raised that with Auspost and it didn't happen anymore. Had cards left in the mailbox when again we were home as they couldn't be stuffed walking 2m from the mailbox to the door to actually deliver it.

In my office complex they do heaps of deliveries up the 5 floors so would do well out of it as they can dump heaps at once. They get really annoyed when someone has moved one suite over and try and make you take their delivery, rather than knock next door. Also one guy doesn't even bother going into any suite, he throws them at the door and walks away whether anyone is there or not.
    Successful trade with: Clockwork.....(and what a trade!)

So frustrating dealing with any of them I agree - that's why when we had relative success with the local TNT guy, we thought we were on to a good thing.

Today it's issues with local PO. I don't understand when Aus Post say they are losing money due to emails. The local PO cannot cope with parcel post or anything to do with their services. I received an email today telling me to go in and pick up something tracked via AusPost but local PO won't hand it over without a card...which means I'll be lucky to get that tomorrow...or at all due to them often forgetting to leave cards. They won't leave anything here that will not fit in a regular letter box.