Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Peter Mount is offline Web Developer http://www.petermount.com

On the other side and the previous side looks decidedly beige

Default Insurance for laptop

Hi

What do people normally do for having insurance for their laptops? I've got contents insurance with RACV. Am I right in assuming it's not possible to have insurance outside the home, apart from the car?

Thanks

G'day Peter,

My Powerbook is covered under my "Contents" cover. It is covered, whether at home, or on the go away from home.

Most insurers realise that people want this kind of cover, and offer it. Same thing for things like digital cameras etc.

It of course does cost extra, but I think it was maybe an extra $50 for the year in my case, with Suncorp Metway.
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

I am covering my new MBP for theft, lost in transit, car break in and stuff. Not wildly expensive, especially for the entire cover of a new MBP.

I always factor in insurance for stuff like a laptop because its not covered by standard home contents insurance if its out of the house when something occurs, and laptop theft is ridiculously high in Australia.
    Macbook Pro, 15 inch, 4gb Ram, 200gb 7200rpm, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 256MB vram.

iPod Nano 3rd Gen, Black, 8gb :: iPod Shuffle, Orange, 1gb :: Shiny new iPhone, Black, 16gb

The important thing to realise with any kind of insurance for computer systems is that to ensure you use specific contents insurance. That is, you insure the computer exactly for what it is -- make, model and configuration must be on the insurance cover documentation. If you just say 'computer' you are covered for a basic value (usually $2,000).

Contact an insurance broker.

I've got a quote from Protecsure. It wasn't too expensive. Does anybody know what they are like? They are at:

protecsure.com.au

Thanks

I did a lot of research and found out that Ansvar is one of the best. I did get contents insurance from them and i have already had a hassle-free claim processed with them. They are really good. I would give them a big
    Trades: thorevenge, thatfilthyspringbok, TERII82, BigAD, curientai, blackiridium, hmc, af3556, simo, Huy,Alessiman, tonyberinson, glennb, brains, rogerthatv2, itsmeyd, howie1108, imacattack, Trillian, Landog

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mount View Post
    I've got a quote from Protecsure. It wasn't too expensive. Does anybody know what they are like? They are at:

protecsure.com.au

Thanks
    that's who i use, although haven't needed to claim from them (touch wood!)

i think they had the best policy that i could find for my needs (in car a lot/ overseas cover), beyond what's available through home contents.

whoever you choose, you must read the fine print.

good luck!

When you change laptops, do you need to inform them of the change? I change gear pretty often, so is the process pretty easy?

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    When you change laptops, do you need to inform them of the change? I change gear pretty often, so is the process pretty easy?
    when i asked them about this, they said they ended the policy and refunded you. then you got a quote for your new one.

best to check with them again though.

Quote Originally Posted by der View Post
    when i asked them about this, they said they ended the policy and refunded you. then you got a quote for your new one.
    Ugh, that sounds like a hassle to do every few months (yeah, thats how often I change gear)

Would be nice if it could be done online, I can fill in a form and have it all done for me.

I have all my camera gear insured as part of my home contents but for anywhere in Australia. There are limits on this as far as amount for each item etc. When I first took this out (well over ten years ago) I really shopped around and found AMP to be the cheapest and most convenient for this type of insurance. Every few years I shop around again to see what else is available but at this stage I'm still with AMP. I have made one claim in this time when my wife dropped her camera and they were very easy and quick to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    Ugh, that sounds like a hassle to do every few months (yeah, thats how often I change gear)

Would be nice if it could be done online, I can fill in a form and have it all done for me.
    Assuming you instead put it on an existing policy (ie with home/house/car cover) then they would terminate the old laptop, and put the new one on.

This could then cause an adjustment in your premium, depending on x y and... um... z.

If the insurer were worth their salt, they would not close your policy and set up a new one each time you changed... they would add the new item first, then delete the old one, allowing them to keep the existing policy. Of course, for sales reasons, telesales staff often like to set up new policies... makes their stats appear better to stupid middle-management.
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Quote Originally Posted by der View Post
    that's who i use, although haven't needed to claim from them (touch wood!)

i think they had the best policy that i could find for my needs (in car a lot/ overseas cover), beyond what's available through home contents.

whoever you choose, you must read the fine print.

good luck!
    I actually wound up going with ANSVAR. I got a couple of recommendations for them. Either way I hope I never have to make a claim.

Have fun.

do I need a invoice of the laptop?

I am thinking to get a insurance with my new macbook and a mobile phone bought from overseas. But I do not have a house and content, or car insurance.

It might work out to be quite expensive if you have to insure them as standalone items, rather than adding them to an existing contents policy.

Try ringing an insurance broker rather than specific insurers. He or she will be able to shop around on your behalf.
    Live life with Blue Sun

Mine and my brothers laptops are insured under our parents home insurance. I don't think it would of been too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
    It might work out to be quite expensive if you have to insure them as standalone items, rather than adding them to an existing contents policy.

Try ringing an insurance broker rather than specific insurers. He or she will be able to shop around on your behalf.
    thanks a lot, ringing an insurance broker is a really good idea which i forgot is available :P

Quote Originally Posted by princearthur View Post
    thanks a lot, ringing an insurance broker is a really good idea which i forgot is available :P
    Unfortunately many of them refer you to the insurer that gives them the biggest kickback commission than the one necessarily best for you!

I have my MBP insured under a AAMI house and contents policy with an extra away from home cover, I think it cost about another 50 odd dollars on top of my policy, cant tell you how good they are, as I have never made a claim....

I have also be looking at travel insurance (a must when traveling overseas), Medibank private look to have great deals on electrical items i.e. laptops

Interesting, I'm under AAMI and they advised me that laptops aren't covered. I am under their Renter's "Home & Contents" insurance - which covers theft and fire, under $10,000. But that's just the furniture and appliances. I added the "Extras cover for valuable portables" - but that doesn't include laptops or devices with cellular capabilities (ie. a mobile phone). This only covers watches and jewellery.

I have asked them twice about adding to my premium for my electronics. Just spent big on my MBA and associated gadgets, would like to have them insured! But I am looking into Protecsure - they seem very reasonable and have a good broad coverage. I got an online quote...but haven't quite gone through with it...waiting for AAMI to reply with their suggestion on upgrading my Home & Contents insurance.
    | MacBook Air 11" | Mac Mini 2011| iPhone 5 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB | iPod Nano 4GB | iPod Hi-Fi | AirPort Extreme |
    | Traded | Huy | Alessiman | DagrtheSnide | alan7948 | iCameron | chris | dsiew |

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast