Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
    tcimac's Avatar tcimac is offline Tell the truth--there's less to remember.

Default Best Modem/Voip Set Up

I am a new customer to Maxo VOIP service and I have had some trouble with the ATA and my setup.

Alex at Maxo has been really helping me out but it would seem I have environmental issues with my set up and am getting the following when I have the ATA conencted;

1. Someone rings me and internet loses active connection.
    2. During call get intermittent white noise.
    3. Person hangs up, I hang up - white noise continues whenever I pick up handset until I reboot modem.

Alex has tested the ATA and all seems OK.

So I am looking at overhauling !!!

I currently have a TP-Link 1 port wired modem, Uniden WDECT Phone (desktop base station and cordless) All connected phone jacks have Line filters.

Now I am in the market for a wireless modem so do I go with a Netgear DG834G plus the ATA or a suggested Billion 7401VGPM ?

Anyone want to offer advice and/or comments, troubleshooting tips or just my planned 'overhaul'? Thanks
     Macbook Pro 13" | C2D | 2.4Ghz | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD | 750GB HDD  iPad Mini 16GB WiFi  AppleTV 2 | Google Nexus 4 |

I have seen Netgear modems cause quite a few issues with ATA's connected, usually haveing the correct ports forwarded fixes it but not always.

Billion 7401 is a decent device, or if you can find one an Open 824RLW 4 port is quite good and very cheap at times too! (Being a rebadged Billion 7404) but I'd advise to stay away from the 3 port version.
    MacPro 3,1 Octo 2.8 | 24" iMac C2D 2.16 | MacBook C2D 2.16

Aladdin's Avatar Aladdin is offline Drink Coffee - Do Stupid Things Faster

tcimac, how exactly have you got your system set up? Which connects to which?

i.e. is it your modem that's at fault here? Hard to say without more specifics.
    Rise & Shine: the early spoon gets the morning wood.

tcimac's Avatar tcimac is offline Tell the truth--there's less to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    tcimac, how exactly have you got your system set up? Which connects to which?

i.e. is it your modem that's at fault here? Hard to say without more specifics.
    I set it up exactly how advised by Maxo. Let me think,
    Scrap that... I just thought about it and I think I know what I did wrong

I put a double adapter on the ADSL connection of my filter and then connected cables to the phone jack on the ATA and on the Modem.... Maybe that's it?? OMG if that is what is wrong I am such a toolhead :o
     Macbook Pro 13" | C2D | 2.4Ghz | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD | 750GB HDD  iPad Mini 16GB WiFi  AppleTV 2 | Google Nexus 4 |

if you do go for an all in one device the Billions are great, i run about a dozen of them in various voip environments and they are great.

Hey!
    Looks like I made a mistake by not ascertaining the kind of Line filter you had. I assumed it was a single port filter, so when I asked for you to plug a line with a filter into the ATA, you did as I asked, but plugged it into the wrong port (marked ADSL).

At least we've both learnt something from this