Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Stripping Intel code from Leopard on Powerbook

Hey Guys

I'm just trying to make a bit of breathing room on a G4 Powerbook.
    I used Monolingual to strip out localisations (755Mb!) and noticed it has an option to remove Intel code.

I'm running 10.5 - haven't upgraded to 10.5.6 yet.

Can I safely use monolingual to remove the intel code? What about PPC 64-bit and all the other non-relevant ones?

Cheers
    Jeremy
    Join SqueekyTee (by Rushfaster) using this invite code!
    norobots.net.au - My blog.
    - Lots of macs : MB (black) C2D 2Gb, eMac 1.42Ghz 1.5Gb, eMac 700Mhz, Sawtooth AGP 400Mhz, iBook 800Mhz, iMac 350Mhz, iPod mini, iPod Touch 8Gb and one pretty disorganised life

----------------

Quote Originally Posted by vecsty View Post
    How much HD space do you think you will save??
    I don't know. How often do you think I'll use the intel code on a PPC mac??
    Join SqueekyTee (by Rushfaster) using this invite code!
    norobots.net.au - My blog.
    - Lots of macs : MB (black) C2D 2Gb, eMac 1.42Ghz 1.5Gb, eMac 700Mhz, Sawtooth AGP 400Mhz, iBook 800Mhz, iMac 350Mhz, iPod mini, iPod Touch 8Gb and one pretty disorganised life

Oooh this is good information! Let's hope someone technical can answer this post's question.
    2005 15" PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz (1st Mac purchased on the day iTunes AU opened!); 2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro (16GB RAM; Nvidia 750M); iPad 3rd Gen 64GB w/ cellular

I used Xslimmer and found nearly 4GB of space by ditching languages and PPC code from all my apps. The savings are dependant on what apps you have and whether they can be slimmed or not.

As for Monolingual ... I didn't even know it stripped the excess code. Best way to check might be make a backup of some apps and try it out.

Be aware that if you want to upgrade to an Intel machine in the future and migrate your apps to the machine you will be screwed.

I would be very careful doing this... if it were me, I wouldn't touch any system libraries. There may be other repercussions from modifying said system libraries. There isn't much to lose (or risk) by stripping apps themselves though.
    "The need is not for, say, half a million -inch drill bits. The need is that there are ten million -inch holes that need to be drilled." - Robert Noyce
    www.nickforge.com

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

Easy, just go through Macintosh HD\System and delete anything which has "PowerPC" in the file name. Remove any references to "Airport Base Station" too if you don't need one of those

Just remember to backup you important apps and check they work before binning the updates, Xslimmer does a pretty good job of blacklisting apps, but sometimes some slip through. Some apps checksum themselves to protect against tampering, and this shows up as so.

Its an awesome way to save space, just be safe
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,
    ``,,`,,` `
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,

As long as you have a backup and are prepared to take the time to restore if necessary, what's the harm in trying?