Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Australia... The Movie

So a quick search reveals no thread about it, I figured it was worth some discussion. My prediction is that the greater Mactalk community will be cynical and critical of the film without having seen it.

Personally I can't stand Baz Luhrmann, anytime I've seen him in an interview he just comes off as a pretentious wanker. Sure, Romeo and Juliette was slightly original and brought the works of Shakespeare to a new generation. Moulin Rouge on the other hand was annoying and it took far to long to get to the good bits (the singing... the rest of the film was just filler for the songs).

I heard someone describe Nicole Kidman as "asexual" on the radio this morning which I tend to agree with. I can't remember ever thinking she was good in anything.

Hugh Jackman will always be Wolverine to me, I guess it remains to be seen if this is good for his career or not.

All in all I know we can't say anything without seeing the film itself. Personally I don't intend on spending money on this (if I was going to pay to see anything at the moment it would be Bond.)

Has anyone seen it? Does anyone want to? Are you going to be dragged along by your significant other under thread of death?

that's a big post for not saying anything

Personally I really liked strictly ballroom, loved Romeo and Juliet and put MR in the worst movies I have ever seen file.

As for australia I'm completely uninterested. It looks like it's been made for Hollywood only.
    Kuma's Tales now on Tumblr

I really hope it has people going 'STREWTH!' every five seconds, and plenty of waving flies off their faces.

If it doesn't, well, that's un-Australian.

I'm quite a fan of Baz's films. They are always quite stunning visually. He has such a unique directorial style.

Granted his films aren't for everyone, but I quite like his blend of comedy and heightened drama.

He does come off as a bit of a wanker, but I just leave that down the fact they he comes from "the theatre".

It's been hyped so much, advertising has been shoved down our throats constantly, I just wonder if it's going to live up to all that...

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
    As for australia I'm completely uninterested. It looks like it's been made for Hollywood only.
    It's quite interesting the number of people who had said that. From my perspective, its probably the most Aussie hollywood co-funded film thats ever been made. Unlike Happy Feet and Moulin Rouge, which weren't catering for Australian audiences specifically.

I'm sure to some extent it will play up the cliches, but that's what you expect from a Baz film.

I'm just sick of the News ltd. and general media flogging it

I have the distinct pleasure of seeing it next Saturday, a (female) friend was all 'ohhh its 3 hours of Hugh!' I replied 'ohh its 3 hours of mind numbing torture' so she forced me into seeing it at Gold Glass with her shout for snacks, so at least I can sleep easily if its crap.

Apparantly 'crikey' is very over used in the film

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
    that's a big post for not saying anything
    My partner used to work for a politician, I learn from the best

I don't think "Australia" is any more overexposed than "Quantum of Solace". Bond is everywhere too...We're probably just noticing the "Australia" publicity more because we're in Australia and because we're not used to an Australian film having such a high profile. I'm sure Bond is getting equally flogged in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by cjuiz View Post
    I'm sure Bond is getting equally flogged in the UK.
    With the added bonus that Bond is probably more true to life about the UK than Australia is about... Australia.

I am going to see it - but don't have overly hopes for it. I will see it on the imax for all that scenery.
    I personally dislike Kidman in any big budget production - it is like she turns off any acting ability if she gets paid more than a lettuce leaf and stale twistie.
    For me Hugh Jackman will always be Gaston!
    My carbon footprint is PRADA.
    If you are bored, find me on iChat, visit my web page, read my uninteresting blog, Tweet me, and if all that fails - yell to get my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by half goon half god View Post
    I really hope it has people going 'STREWTH!' every five seconds, and plenty of waving flies off their faces.

If it doesn't, well, that's un-Australian.
    Drunk teenagers, zinc cream and Australian flag capes.
    AUSTRALIA.

Baz's films are wonderful examples of visual extravagance and always look magical and I like them for that aspect, but everything else doesn't reach the same heights. However I am looking forward to seeing Australia the movie and expect it to be better than the average american crap we're normally subjected to at the box office. Good luck to him I hope it is well received.
    Bennettnz
    Macbook Pro 13"/Mac Pro 2.66ghz quad/imac 24" x 3/iMac 21"/iMac 17"/G5 1.8 ghz/eMac 1.25ghz/Apple TV/iPad/iPhone... iDebt massive - (thanks Steve!)

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    Drunk teenagers, zinc cream and Australian flag capes.
    AUSTRALIA.
    LOL. They could have just showed 5 episodes of Home and Away/Neighbours in one block, and had Nicole and Hugh as guest stars and nobody probably would have noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    LOL. They could have just showed 5 episodes of Home and Away/Neighbours in one block, and had Nicole and Hugh as guest stars and nobody probably would have noticed.
    Oh yeah, would have been a lot easier and satisfied the poms and yanks way more

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    With the added bonus that Bond is probably more true to life about the UK than Australia is about... Australia.
    Everyone knows that Australia is a period film right? It's set in the 1930's...I don't see how its so un-true to life when its based during the time of an actual event in Australian history...

I thought Bond was set in Bolivia? What does it have to say about the UK? Also Australia is about romanticising the country and outback, nothing wrong with that. I'm going to see it and I'm looking forward to it. I think it is shot and lit wonderfully.

I also hope we see more of these big budget film productions being made in Australia.

I just wish they'd come up with a better name than...Australia...so superficial. That in itself turns me off seeing it. I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but jeez you think they could have tried just a little bit!

It's so obvious that the media has been paid to cover this. Last night it was the first news item on 7 and 9, came before a story about a horrific car accident, sigh. I'm honestly not at all interested in this, looks boring.
    Alu MacBook 2.4GHZ | iPhone 4 32GB (Telstra) | iPod Classic 80GB (1G)

I will go see it but I don't hold high hopes for it. Due to the hype connected to it people will expect it to be more and if it not it will noise dive faster then a qantas plane.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast