Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Recommend me a good QoS-capable router please?

Can someone please recommend me a router (or DSL modem with integral router) with QoS that:
    1) can prioritise data-streams by IP and port other than VoIP,
    2) isn't a whole PC (which includes micro-PCs like the Yawarra stuff, I want an off the shelf routerbox)
    3) isn't a Cisco, SpeedTouch or a Billion (all brands cursed with the Interface From Hell)
    4) has a reasonably idiot-proof web GUI
    5) doesn't require hocking the BMW like Drayteks do (ideally, maximum price of A$200)
    6) doesn't have wifi (although units with easily-disabled wifi will be acceptable)

I need to somehow ensure my Psymbiensis radio-stream gets an absolute guaranteed 16 KB/s up & down, out of our currently stable 15M/1M connection. At the moment, if any other machine on our home LAN does a download or some other sustained internet access, the radio-stream becomes choppy. I tried using a Billion 7402 but it seems to work for five minutes and then the entire DSL link freaks out as both up & down linkspeeds plummet.

I've got a Netgear DG834 (which can't do QoS) so either I replace it entirely, or get a suitable router and use the DG834 in bridge mode to disable its onboard router.

I have recollection of someone mentioning a particular Linksys router that can have some better third-party software squished into it, anyone care to elaborate?

Suggestions welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Brains View Post
    I have recollection of someone mentioning a particular Linksys router that can have some better third-party software squished into it.
    I've just been informed that my best solution is a Linksys WRT54GL (about A$95) with a copy of Tomato firmware loaded on.

Anyone care to confirm that, or suggest something different?

Smoothwall on a ye-olde P3 box?

See criteria 2) above

I see.
    Any reason why? (no criticism, just interested, I enjoy my smoothwall box)

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    I see.
    Any reason why? (no criticism, just interested, I enjoy my smoothwall box)
    Big
    Loud
    Ugly
    Expensive (to run)
    Overkill?

I'm interested in the Linksys with Tomato business too. Anyone run one?
    Join SqueekyTee (by Rushfaster) using this invite code!
    norobots.net.au - My blog.
    - Lots of macs : MB (black) C2D 2Gb, eMac 1.42Ghz 1.5Gb, eMac 700Mhz, Sawtooth AGP 400Mhz, iBook 800Mhz, iMac 350Mhz, iPod mini, iPod Touch 8Gb and one pretty disorganised life

Quote Originally Posted by jubilantjeremy View Post
    Big
    Loud
    Ugly
    Expensive (to run)
    Overkill?

I'm interested in the Linksys with Tomato business too. Anyone run one?
    Loud (no, not really, the P3's didn't have loud fans and as long as they're clean and it'll be fine, no louder than an iMac)
    Ugly (well yeah, you hide it somewhere if that concerns you)
    Expensive (meh, power is cheap and compared to the cost of buying a comparable router vs the power it will use as well as the fact you're re-using instead of buying new)
    Overkill (nevar! it will handle all you throw at it unlike the underpowered MIPS CPUs and low RAM in the little routers)

I've installed Tomato and wwrt on a WRT54G and was not pleased with the experience. I had it crash on me a few times and it wasn't as reliable as the stock firmware in general. The UI was nothing special either.

I purchased an AirPort Express and chucked in a Smoothwall box instead.

Some people like the wwrt and tomato firmware, so your opinion may differ to mine.

Can smoothwall be installed on any linux box, or does it have to be dedicated?

I mean can I set it up on my theoretical linux box alongside a web/file server, network sevices, VPN, P2P etc?

J
    Join SqueekyTee (by Rushfaster) using this invite code!
    norobots.net.au - My blog.
    - Lots of macs : MB (black) C2D 2Gb, eMac 1.42Ghz 1.5Gb, eMac 700Mhz, Sawtooth AGP 400Mhz, iBook 800Mhz, iMac 350Mhz, iPod mini, iPod Touch 8Gb and one pretty disorganised life

Hmm... You're not going to solve your problem by replacing your current router with a QoS enabled one, unless your radio stream is outbound (i.e. you're the producer of the stream).

If you're trying to download a stream, QoS is not going to guarantee bandwidth for your app. It'll only work for outbound traffic passing through your router (which would usually be the ACK's). If your radio stream is outbound, that traffic hits the upstream ISP with your priority packets marked (as EF?), the ISP will remark all your packets to best effort (i.e. 0), and your traffic will be queued along with all the other traffic, completely negating any benefits you would have had.

Your only hope is that you could mark your application traffic as EF (voice), and pray that your ISP accepts those markings (they should if you are on a VoIP plan).

Quote Originally Posted by becsta View Post
    Hmm... You're not going to solve your problem by replacing your current router with a QoS enabled one, unless your radio stream is outbound (i.e. you're the producer of the stream).
    I am. I generate the stream locally, and it heads from my little home server to my relay, based in a well-piped colo in San Diego. I need to ensure a reasonable stable 16 KB/s outgoing, and considering I've got 128 KB/s worth of upstream to play with, that shouldn't be too hard ... should it?

Your only hope is that you could mark your application traffic as EF (voice), and pray that your ISP accepts those markings (they should if you are on a VoIP plan).
    I wouldn't know how to mark traffic, but I am on a VoIP plan.

I've used a Billion 7402R2's QoS and it would actually work -- it let me assign top priority to just the stream originating from 192.168.0.142:2012 and make everything else 'best effort' ... but after five minutes, the Billion would freak and the DSL connection speeds would begin to plummet (Billion's line isolation is almost non existent, if you don't have a perfect copper pair, forget it ... and I'm in one of Sydney's oldest suburbs, with copper to match, unfortunately)

Definitely the WRT54GL with DD-WRT on it. There are specific versions of the WRT54GL that you'll need to get I believe. Linksys had a few revisions and some of them did not have enough ram to run DD-WRT. There are some routers by Buffalo that support DD-WRT, but they don't seem to be particularly available in Australia.

Check here for supported devices: Supported Devices - DD-WRT Wiki

Unfortunately I don't know much else and have no actual hands on experience with DD-WRT.

Quote Originally Posted by jubilantjeremy View Post
    Can smoothwall be installed on any linux box, or does it have to be dedicated?

I mean can I set it up on my theoretical linux box alongside a web/file server, network sevices, VPN, P2P etc?

J
    Smoothwall needs a dedicated box, which is how you should run a firewall anyways.
    You can get other Linux distros designed to run other services. as well as a firewall though. Check out Clarkconnect.