Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Text printouts quarter size on A4 page

I usually print out Word and PDF documents on an A4 page using File>Print at the top of the menu bar. I always use this method as I have more control over settings.

Over the last few days, my printouts are being reduced to quarter size (very small text).

If I click on the print icon within Word, the printout is the correct size. But within Acrobat, using the Print icon, the printout is reduced.

I have doublechecked all my settings. Word and Acrobat print preferences are set to 100% and A4. Preview size is correct. View actual size is correct.

I am using a Brother DCP-115C MFP. The driver has been reinstalled (v1.20). The print output size is not adjustable on the printer itself.

Running Leopard 10.5.2. I have repaired permissions. Nothing on the Mac has been changed recently.

Any advice appreciated.

For even more control in both apps, have you gone to: File -> scroll down to: Page Setup...

Well - maybe. This step is optional.

On my Mac, when choosing File>Print directly as I do, it is also possible to choose Page Setup to make the settings, and then confirm them before actually printing. Exactly the same control. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Anyway, still the same -100%, no scaling, A4 - prints out quarter size.

Trying switching your User Account.

Open System Preferences -> click on Accounts and create a new "Test" Account.
    Then switch Accounts and see if the same problem occurs there too.

I can't remember if it was solved, but somebody here recently (within the last couple of months, I think) had a similar problem, with print scaling getting progressively smaller despite the settings. Try finding that thread ...

[edit] Never mind ... found it, and it dies with no fix.

Was gonna say - that's me...

And no - no resolution found, except that my folks got a new printer, and that fixed it... (was a HP deskjet... now a Canon).

No idea what was happening, as I'm in Brisbane and they're in rural Vic...
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Aladdin's Avatar Aladdin is offline Drink Coffee - Do Stupid Things Faster

Single or multi-page print?

Try printing a 2 page pdf, for example - does is print on 2 pieces of paper at quarter size?

Any trouble with pdf printing using Preview?

Also, in Adobe Reader (I presume that's what you're using), have you got 'print multiple pages on sheet' selected?
    Rise & Shine: the early spoon gets the morning wood.

Problem still not solved.

I’m using Acrobat Professional and MS Word (from Office 2004). Irrespective of whether I’m printing single or multipages, the output is still reduced to quarter size on an A4 sheet when using File>Print.

Using Preview, PDF printouts are OK, but I’d rather use my Acrobat Professional (more control). And I still need to use MS Word.

I tried a Test Account – still the same problem.

I’ve just tried using the same documents on my G4 PowerBook which is an exact clone of my G4 desktop – same Leopard 10.5.2 , same software, same versions. Printouts using File>Print are correct and perfect.

All my other applications are working perfectly and printing out correctly as required – Final Cut Studio, Adobe Creative Suite2 (e.g. Illustrator) MS Office (e.g. Excel) etc,

So it looks like something’s happened within the past week somewhere within my Leopard install on my desktop G4.

What about deleting the prefs file? Does that 'fix' the problem?

Does Office 2004 have that self-healing trick? Either that or can you wipe out Office (do you have App Zapper?) and re-install afresh.

I'm sorry, but this is why most of us don't use Office & frankly why I won't have anything MS on my Mac, no matter how well it appears to work.

In print box choose layout. Check that pages per sheet is 1 and not 4 which is what it sounds like yours is set at.??
    laptop, desktop, music player and phone

I've checked and double checked the layout over and over - it's all correct. Not multiple pages on one A4. I've trashed the preferences, repaired permissions. It's interesting that my PowerBook prints OK. And Preview prints OK.

I'm not as paranoid about Microsoft products as you are "Rant" - I've been using Office for Mac since 1998, and Word since 1985 (!). Never a problem until now, and we're only talking about a printout problem, not an actual software problem. It must be remembered my printing problem is also with Acrobat - an Adobe product - nothing to do with Microsoft.

Anyway, all very weird. I really appreciate all the feedback and suggestions. Looks like it's something to do with Leopard or my Brother printer.

There's always file corruption, which as a MS user, you've probably had to deal with - if the file gets too big or has too many graphics in it, or the 12th of the month is a Friday and a full moon...

The usual is to Save As, or create a blank document, then copy & paste the 'content' over.

Adobe comes a close second to Microsoft in my book, so I'd be looking at fresh installs or at least throwing out the prefs files... I take it the printing problem is actually only with Acrobat?

If the same problems are encountered on a secondary Test Account then the corruption lies directly in your Leopard System folder.

I would be inclined to Delete / Uninstall / Trash both MS Office and Adobe Acrobat - completely, and then reinstall both.

If you don't know how to get at every part of both Applications to completely Trash them, then it might indeed be simpler to purchase App Zapper as Rant has suggested.

If that fails, time to back up all your goodies, erase the HD and reinstall OS X from scratch, plus all applications from scratch.

Leopard in its current state is dodgy at times, which is why I won't use it for graphics, including PDFing artwork.

Still using Tiger (Mac OS 10.4.11) here - with one test box running Leopard, with nothing serious on it and even there I see it screw up on really simple tasks.

Talking Solved after 6 months!

Just an update after 6 months. Problem solved.

I've been copying and printing everything from my Powerbook since last December (no print problems from PB).

So for the last 6 months the problem was still either my desktop G4, Office 2004, and/or the Brother drivers.

Last week I trashed the 4 year old Brother MFP, and purchased a new Canon Pixma MP480 MFP ($88).

Uninstalled Office 2004, then reinstalled it. Office 2004 (and everything else) now prints perfectly. Perhaps an expensive ($88) solution, but it seems it was the Brother printer and/or drivers that didn't like Office 2004, and everything else I tried printing from.Perhaps the Brother was just too old.

The Canon Pixma works brilliantly with everything on my Macs - highly recommended.

Regards

Robert