Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What mouse should i purchase?

I'm looking to buy a new mouse so just starting this thread so people can give their recommendations to me and others...

Someone suggested the Logitech MX Revolution to me once and I'm looking into that, it's just the price and USB Wireless side of it that is stopping me from buying it.

So I'm looking for a Wireless mouse, prefer bluetooth but one that has buttons that can do what a Mighty Mouse can do and a mouse thats buttons are compatible with the Mac etc...

ALSO: What is better USB Wireless or Bluetooth - I'm just thinking more of getting bluetooth so there is more USB Ports spare but that isn't a major issue.

I would avoid any wireless mouse that requires a dongle to work. In my mind, it's crazy for a Mac user to have to use anything other than Bluetooth to connect the mouse.

I buy everything Apple, so of course I've got the Bluetooth Mighty Mouse. I'm happy with it. The roller ball can get clogged but after the last clean that my friend did, it's been great for months.

The lack of a wire on a wireless mouse has a subtle, but noticeable effect on usability. Firstly, it's never snagged. You feel more freedom of movement. You can move it a few metres away and still use it. I like the weight that the batteries give the mouse. It feels more substantial and not full of air. The inertia makes me feel more connected to the mouse movement.

Apple's Mighty Mouse has good power management. It goes to sleep automatically, not like another mouse I've used in the past, and this means better battery life.

Microsoft mice have good build quality. Not sure about the Logitechs, but I have had trouble getting the buttons to work in the past. Apple's of course has the best integration.

I hope this helps.

I have the Microsoft Wireless Mouse 7000 (it has a name something like that, all grey/metallic) and it works a treat, I definitely avoid the wireless dongles seems like such a primitive way to do it when bluetooth is just sitting there begging to be used.

Yeah i'm kinda avoiding the Mighty Mouse at all costs.

I just received my new WIRED Mighty Mouse and sent the faulty one back and have no intentions of using the new one. I'm currently using a ball mouse actually.

So a BLUETOOTH WIRELESS Apple Mouse is off the agenda here, for me anyway. Maybe the best looking mouse, but I'm looking for a mouse that doesn't require cleaning all the time and one that doesn't get clogged up in the scroll ball. IMO Apple succeeded in the design of the Mighty Mouse but not the performance - i even feel moving the MM isn't pleasant and sometimes need to lift the mouse and replace it on the surface to continue moving because the cursor either doesn't move, flickers back and forth and sometimes i move it a little and the cursor goes from one side of the screen to the other instantly.

SO... any other mouses?

I got the logitech V470 (i think) BT wireless mouse, which appears to be designed specifically with mac in mind - comes with mac software, makes a point of mentioning macs on the packaging.

Unfortunately, it sucks - the tracking is just slightly slow.. or accelerates oddly - or something. It's really hard to identify, but basically the mouse is a pain in the butthole to use. It can't be fixed by messing with the OS X system prefs - but can apparently be sorted with a 3rd party driver, which I'm not paying for.

Bluetooth on my MB is broken now anyway ('bluetooth is not available'), so the mouse is just sitting there.

Bad purchase..

Jeremy

Edit : OK, it might be usable for web browsing, but certainly not for graphics or CAD related work.
    Join SqueekyTee (by Rushfaster) using this invite code!
    norobots.net.au - My blog.
    - Lots of macs : MB (black) C2D 2Gb, eMac 1.42Ghz 1.5Gb, eMac 700Mhz, Sawtooth AGP 400Mhz, iBook 800Mhz, iMac 350Mhz, iPod mini, iPod Touch 8Gb and one pretty disorganised life

WoWTopia Guest

Apple MIghty Wireless MOUSE

Seriously, get a wired mouse. Suggest a gaming mouse with laser opticals as the tracking is better and the quality is superior..

Using a wired mouse is refreshingly pleasant after using my bluetooth mouse (anyone agree with me here?)

Oh, and also apparently mice with a RF dongle (not using bluetooth) do not suffer from the lag I experienced with mine..
    Join SqueekyTee (by Rushfaster) using this invite code!
    norobots.net.au - My blog.
    - Lots of macs : MB (black) C2D 2Gb, eMac 1.42Ghz 1.5Gb, eMac 700Mhz, Sawtooth AGP 400Mhz, iBook 800Mhz, iMac 350Mhz, iPod mini, iPod Touch 8Gb and one pretty disorganised life

I'd take an RF mouse over a BT one. I find with my V470 there's just that little bit of lag - kinda like playing an FPS with 80ms instead of 30ms ping. I've switched to an MX620 and its like I'm using a corded one, just a bit heavier. I hate charging docks so this mouse worked out well.

I have a Logitech MX 620 wireless and it works great. The dongle sits nicely in the USB port of my Alu keyboard so you can barely even see it -- only a couple of mm and only if you're looking for it. Seems to work great in games, I like the forward/back buttons while browsing, and the friction-adjustable scrollwheel is handy (though I have mine set about 1/3 friction to stop accidental page movement).

[QUOTE=jubilantjeremy;703675]Using a wired mouse is refreshingly pleasant after using my bluetooth mouse (anyone agree with me here?)QUOTE]

I can.

I use a Logitech Notebook Wired Mouse and sometimes the responce is a lot more comfortable than wireless.
    Support MacTalk by shopping at the Apple Online store via this link!
    MacBook Pro 15" UniBody: i7 2.2GHz|16GB|1TB HDD + 128GB SSD

troll
    n. A supernatural creature of Scandinavian folklore, variously portrayed as a friendly or mischievous dwarf or as a giant, that lives in caves, in the hills, or under bridges.

Quote Originally Posted by WoWTopia View Post
    Apple MIghty Wireless MOUSE
    Congratulations on reading the thread!

I'm using a Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 at the moment. It's not bad. I'd definitely agree with the recommendation of going with bluetooth, just because of the lack of USB dongles.

Quote Originally Posted by half goon half god View Post
    Congratulations on reading the thread!

I'm using a Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 at the moment. It's not bad. I'd definitely agree with the recommendation of going with bluetooth, just because of the lack of USB dongles.
    +1 for this mouse. I use it on my eee pc (Win XP) and it's great! I have a wireless mighty mouse for my iMac. Both mice work perfectly well (right click a bit challenging at times with the wireless MM but I'm used to it)...

I like to use my MS Habu-yes it's a gaming mouse designed for PC's using Razer's technology but works fine as a standard mouse in OS X without any drivers needed.
    Mac mini and iPad: Mac mini (Mid 2011) Core i5 2.3 GHz 2GB RAM, Thunderbolt Display, Mac OS X 10.7, iPad 32GB (Wi-Fi), Apple TV (160GB)

Or take another pick from our buddies @ Try & Byte.

There are many good mice out there, crap ones too. I have tried bluetooth, USB Dongle wireless Logitechs, I personally like the MX Revolution, works very well in Mac OS X and all the buttons could be programmed for just about what ever you want, though I found myself going back to a wired mouse G5 Logitech as I like playing a lot of games, you just need to get USB overdrive to use all the features with a G series gaming mouse in the Mac side of things

I love to use the mx1000 mouse from Logitech. Its an older mouse and hard to get but I love this mouse than any other model. The bluetooth mouse I use for my notebook is Logitech v470.
     Steve Jobs: Stay hungry. Stay foolish.

I know your looking for a BT mouse but I just recently acquired a Logitech VX Nano. Definitely the BEST mouse I have ever used. Way better than the BT one I was using before. The USB dongle is tiny, I almost forget it is installed now. Just don't get sucked into paying $149.95RRP. You can get these as cheap as $82 from the likes of UMART / MSY / PCGOGO type wholesalers.

Cheers
    Evad

I've got Logitech V470 its bluetooth, and pretty cool... Around $60
    /\ Twitter /\ Flickr /\ Youtube /\

Suitcase somewhere between Melbourne and Brisbane

Quote Originally Posted by jleetj View Post
    +1 for this mouse. I use it on my eee pc (Win XP) and it's great! I have a wireless mighty mouse for my iMac. Both mice work perfectly well (right click a bit challenging at times with the wireless MM but I'm used to it)...
    +1

It's a nice mouse, and on the smaller side which I like. I've briefly compared it to the Wireless Mighty Mouse, and noticed the MS was lighter as well. I also like the little carry pouch it comes with
    Brisbane Cocoaheads | App Fission | Tune Locator - find nearby radio stations on your iPhone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast