Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Thread: iMovie probs

Default iMovie probs

is it just me or is the current iMovie a bloated pain-in-the-neck to use?

I'm trying to do 3 things:

import about 2 hrs of footage in DV format off an older Sony digicam that uses tape

edit into approx 30 minute segments

export to quicktime so I can burn it to a dvd - preferably using iDVD - but that's not essential - (video cd would be better.)

the total files amount to 18 gb - so I'd kinda like to shrink it down a tad too.

is there an app that is more straight forward than iMovie - or am I simply missing something?
    have viewed the Apple tutorials, but stuffed if I can make it function with the trimming feature and all - and it takes so flippin' long!

I'm currently exporting one section of the footage from within iMovie to Quicktime and it's saying it still has 95 minutes to go - & it's been churning away for 20 mins now & heating up my Alu MacBook like crazy!

gotta be an easier faster way - surely to murgatroid
    I intend to live forever - so far, so good

I don't think things get simpler than iMovie - except (for me) older iMovie (circa 2004). If you're talking about iMovie 08, it's been discussed a few times - people either love it or hate it.

Video footage = BIG FILES. That's life... just hurry up and edit it, burn it, then delete the files off your computer. (Or back them up somehow - even just keep the tapes)
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    I don't think things get simpler than iMovie - except (for me) older iMovie (circa 2004). If you're talking about iMovie 08, it's been discussed a few times - people either love it or hate it.

Video footage = BIG FILES. That's life... just hurry up and edit it, burn it, then delete the files off your computer. (Or back them up somehow - even just keep the tapes)
    yep thanks for that - I've already got it all off onto an external hd.

looks like it's back to the tutorials for me from your comments
    I intend to live forever - so far, so good

Slightly off topic, but how is your audio synchronization? I ask because my father in law is trying to use iMovie 08 to edit about 4 hours of footage from his recent holiday.
    He is finding that at the end of 4 hours, the audio is out by about 40 seconds or so.
    Something about Jimby.

Install iMovie 6

Problem Solved

Much eaiser to use imo

iMovie HD 6

Quote Originally Posted by iCameron View Post
    Install iMovie 6

Problem Solved

Much eaiser to use imo

iMovie HD 6
    Disagree. For getting stuff off your Camcorder, basic editing (i.e. trimming etc), and creating, e.g., a QT file iMovie 08 is far easier to use and more than capable.

However it does not have the same functionality with regards to editing that iMovie6 ha, i.e. it is dumbed down.

However iMovie6 vs Movie08 has been done to death...your mileage obviously varies
    Kushti

Quote Originally Posted by leon View Post
    Slightly off topic, but how is your audio synchronization? I ask because my father in law is trying to use iMovie 08 to edit about 4 hours of footage from his recent holiday.
    He is finding that at the end of 4 hours, the audio is out by about 40 seconds or so.
    Was it imported as 1 big chunk? If so, I'd suggest re-import the footage in smaller bits.. maybe 1/2 hour tops...

You'll never get it in sync again... well, without much hassle.
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    Was it imported as 1 big chunk? If so, I'd suggest re-import the footage in smaller bits.. maybe 1/2 hour tops...

You'll never get it in sync again... well, without much hassle.
    He does it in one big chuck. He is kinda annoyed as he thought a Mac with iMovie was going to be easy. He went out and dropped 3k on a 24" iMac 3.06GHz with 8800GS to do his video conversions. Now he has lost interest. Don't think he would have the patience to import them as separate clips. In his words "It should just work".
    Something about Jimby.

He does it in one big chuck. He is kinda annoyed as he thought a Mac with iMovie was going to be easy. He went out and dropped 3k on a 24" iMac 3.06GHz with 8800GS to do his video conversions. Now he has lost interest. Don't think he would have the patience to import them as separate clips. In his words "It should just work".
    Obviously as someone who went thru uni with some experienced tutors to train me, I'd only ever consider importing one take at a time... not. Sure for a film that makes sense, but most home movies don't work that way.

But if he can just break them up a bit smaller than 4 hour chunks.... ! Should make performance better in general too...

I've had no problems with iMovie '08 and audio sync, but I haven't ever imported that much footage in one go. What sort of camera is he importing from (i.e. DV, memory card, HDD, etc)? With DV your audio can end up out of sync if you use 12-bit audio on the camera instead of 16-bit. This is a problem generated by the camera, not by iMovie.

Pretty sure the audio desync bug is a long standing QuickTime bug to do with PAL video or audio streams. It bit me in the ass a few years ago now, shameful to see that it's still in there.