Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Talking Where can I get a skin Before Monday?

hey everyone,
    I'm getting an iPhone 3G tomorrow, and switching to a data plan will be completed on Tuesday so I want to be able to use it as soon as this is finished. Applying a skin takes 2 days so I want to get a skin this weekend..

I might even buy two of them, so I can have one as backup

Does anyone know anywhere in Sydney where I can get a bestskinsever skin or Zagg skin? Or maybe someone on this forum has one spare they arent using and you're willing to sell it?

Jonno

Why not go to any phone shop, Apple reseller, or Apple Retail store, pick up some cheapy screen protectors, then buy the really good ones online, most likely for cheaper than it would be otherwise?

Edit: Applying a skin takes two days? I'm a little confused about how complicated you think the procedure is. Or do you mean it takes that long to ensure it's perfect?

Screen protectors don't protect the back though.. And when I do get the skin it will take 2 days to apply, so I wont be able to use my iPhone for 2 days.. So I'd rather apply it this weekend (while my phone is being unlocked) so then it's ready to go by Tuesday or so..

Thanks for the idea though

Quote Originally Posted by ZacG View Post
    Edit: Applying a skin takes two days? I'm a little confused about how complicated you think the procedure is. Or do you mean it takes that long to ensure it's perfect?
    Not sure if you've ever applied a bestskinsever skin, I have applied 3 in the last 6 months. You have to dip them in soapy water to make them sticky, then apply one side, smooth out the bubbles, check on it ever hour or so, leave it to dry overnight and then the next day you do the other side and wait another night for that to dry.. And I usually like to leave it another day after that to ensure it is fully dried, otherwise the skin can start to peel off..

Whoa. Just... whoa. For me, a screen protector is a cheap little thing that will get scratched before my screen does, then I'll just peel it off and apply another.

Clearly I'm doing it wrong.

do you want a cover or a skin?

skin normally means a vinyl pattern that goes on it for decorations

cover/case is like a hard/silicone case for protection

or, did you mean something like the bodyguardz, a transparent material that covers the whole phone?

If you did, they only take up to an hour to apply, and a couple hours to set. These are available here.

Will take a couple days for you to get it, and you wont be able to get it in time for the weekend.

HTH,
    Beau
    (Soon to be) iPhone 6+ 128GB | '14 Retina Macbook Pro | & a Couple iPads and iPods..

bestskinsever is pretty much the same as bodyguardz. but bestskinsever is based in the US and to buy a full-body skin from them is $7.99 + about $1.50 postage..

But I would like it before the end of the weekend..

Does anyone on this forum have a spare bodyguardz/bestskinsever/Zagg full-body skin they would like to sell? If so, please let me know

Thanks everyone :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno92 View Post
    Not sure if you've ever applied a bestskinsever skin, I have applied 3 in the last 6 months. You have to dip them in soapy water to make them sticky, then apply one side, smooth out the bubbles, check on it ever hour or so, leave it to dry overnight and then the next day you do the other side and wait another night for that to dry.. And I usually like to leave it another day after that to ensure it is fully dried, otherwise the skin can start to peel off..
    umm, not entirely true.

bestskinsever are the cheapest option, and as such dont contain near as much accessories as something like the bodyguardz or the ZAGG invisibleshield. Quality is also far worse.

I have fitted 3 2.5G iPhone bodyguardz, , 1 iPhone 3G bestskinsever, 4 iPhone 3G bodyguardz, and 2 iPhone 3G invisibleshield.

If oyu do it properly, it should only take you a MAXIMUM of 12 hours to get the whole thing finished and usable.
    (Soon to be) iPhone 6+ 128GB | '14 Retina Macbook Pro | & a Couple iPads and iPods..

Quote Originally Posted by boddiz View Post
    umm, not entirely true.

bestskinsever are the cheapest option, and as such dont contain near as much accessories as something like the bodyguardz or the ZAGG invisibleshield. Quality is also far worse.

I have fitted 3 2.5G iPhone bodyguardz, , 1 iPhone 3G bestskinsever, 4 iPhone 3G bodyguardz, and 2 iPhone 3G invisibleshield.

If oyu do it properly, it should only take you a MAXIMUM of 12 hours to get the whole thing finished and usable.
    oh, cool. Can you rate these 3 different skins (BSE/IS/BG) for:
    -ease of application
    -how long it lasts

bestskinsever is pretty much the same as bodyguardz. but bestskinsever is based in the US and to buy a full-body skin from them is $7.99 + about $1.50 postage..

But I would like it before the end of the weekend..

Does anyone on this forum have a spare bodyguardz/bestskinsever/Zagg full-body skin they would like to sell? If so, please let me know

Thanks everyone :-)
    dont bother with the bestskins ever.

if you are still after two, get a bodyguardz from here.

Works out to be about $50, but in return, you get are supporting australian businesses, you get a far superior product, and much more accessories.

BSE are mailed in a envelope. most get bent in transit, especially international.
    Bodyguardz come in a body, with application spray, two front+back protectors, instructions, squeegee, They are also based in Australia.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by boddiz View Post
    dont bother with the bestskins ever.

if you are still after two, get a bodyguardz from here.

Works out to be about $50, but in return, you get are supporting australian businesses, you get a far superior product, and much more accessories.

BSE are mailed in a envelope. most get bent in transit, especially international.
    Bodyguardz come in a body, with application spray, two front+back protectors, instructions, squeegee, They are also based in Australia.

HTH
    cool, thanks for the tip. So, does anyone have a spare bodyguardz skin they are selling?

Thanks again, mate. Appreciate it.

oh, cool. Can you rate these 3 different skins (BSE/IS/BG) for:
    -ease of application
    -how long it lasts
    BSE:
    - ease of application 2/10
    - long it lasts 5/10
    Crappy product, no accessories, plain stupid.

IS:
    - ease of application 4/10
    - long it lasts 8/10
    Good product, but really dear. pretty hard to apply. Lasts a good amount of time, great accessories

BG
    - ease of application 7/10
    - long it lasts 8/10
    Great product, good value for the money. Easier than the rest to apply. Skin may go very slightly yellow after overexposure to sunlight. Great accesories.

So, does anyone have a spare bodyguardz skin they are selling?

Bodyguardz for iPhone 3G - complete set (2 sets inside) never been used, i just bought this last time as extra but im still using my first set and still good.

up to $29+postgae at the moment.

click here for link

I've seen NextByte sell BodyGuardz for $40 for the iPhone 3G, which is a couple of dollars more than buying from scratchproofcovers, but you don't have to worry about shipping!!

I just got the Bodyguardz and can say that i reckon they're better than the Zagg IS (both versions for iPhone 3G), but I reckon the BodyGuardz is a 'bit' more fiddly to put on, but that's why I prefer them to the new and improved Zagg IS (I think the front cover that now protects the top and bottom bezel was a bad idea, though it makes the back easier to apply!)
    15" MacBook Pro C2D 2.6Ghz 6Gb RAM, 320GB 7200 HDD, 512 VRAM & 23" Cinema Display
    3g iPod 30GB & 4g iPod photo 60GB & 512Mb shuffle & 2g shuffle & iPod touch 8GB
    & 3G iPhone 16Gb

flickr

Why not try GrooveShield Form - Hard-shell case for iPhone 3G

I have one of these protecting the back and anti-glare dlo surface shield for the front. Doesnt bulk up the phone and makes it less slippery as well.

Cheers.
    iMac Core 2 Duo 24 " 4.0GB, 4TB Drobo , iPod Touch 16GB, Black iPod 5G+ 80 GB, 1GB iPod Shuffle, Mac Mini G4, AppleTv, AppleTV2, AirportExpress, AirportExtreme, 2 TB Time Capsule, 32GB White iPhone 3GS, 32 GB 3G iPad, MacBookPro 13" i5 2.3Ghz.

Quote Originally Posted by yinyang View Post
    I've seen NextByte sell BodyGuardz for $40 for the iPhone 3G, which is a couple of dollars more than buying from scratchproofcovers, but you don't have to worry about shipping!!

I just got the Bodyguardz and can say that i reckon they're better than the Zagg IS (both versions for iPhone 3G), but I reckon the BodyGuardz is a 'bit' more fiddly to put on, but that's why I prefer them to the new and improved Zagg IS (I think the front cover that now protects the top and bottom bezel was a bad idea, though it makes the back easier to apply!)
    Yeah - go this route.

You get it instantly as well (provided your local NB has them in stock) and then you're ready to go!