Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!

View Poll Results: Final Cut Express or Aperture 2?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Final Cut Express

6 42.86%
  • Aperture 2

8 57.14%

Default Final Cut Express or Aperture 2

I have a decision to make. Final Cut Express or Aperture 2.

I got given some money for my birthday (happens to be today), but I don't know which one I should get.

I have Aperture 1.2 at the moment, and I have used Final Cut a while back, and am addicted to both.
    adamd
    iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPod nano, iPod Touch, iPod mini, G3+G4 iMac, G4 PowerMac

I vote FCE, but only because I am a video guy, not stills...

Basically though it comes down to what you really want to be doing... film or stills.

Happy Birthday
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    I vote FCE, but only because I am a video guy, not stills...

Basically though it comes down to what you really want to be doing... film or stills.

Happy Birthday
    Thanks. The other debate is, Digital SLR or Video Camera. So, I'm guessing whatever I get here will be what I get in terms of hardware.

I seriously am into both Photography AND film.
    adamd
    iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPod nano, iPod Touch, iPod mini, G3+G4 iMac, G4 PowerMac

Do you have a better stills camera or video camera?
    No point getting Aperture if you are using an Ixus 40
    No point getting FCE unless you have a decent camera (say a HV20/30 as a minimum - I'm biased as I have one of these).

I would get Aperture 2 as the upgrade is pretty cheap.
    Something about Jimby.

You could always pick up an older version of FCE off eBay for a couple bucks...

And could consider "not quite SLR" cameras as they are considerably cheaper, yet offer pretty good functionality... I have a Fuji Finepix S9500. Cost around $600. Looks like an SLR, loads of controls, but a fixed lens. The Olympus D SLR I was looking at was going to be double that with a basic lens kit...
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Quote Originally Posted by adamd View Post
    got given some money for my birthday (happens to be today)
    Hey, me too, Happy Birthday mate, it's a great day

I voted Aperture, because I am just getting back into Photography after about 15yrs or so, so I might be a bit biased

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    The Olympus D SLR I was looking at was going to be double that with a basic lens kit...
    I have an Olympus E500 DSLR camera and my advice is to avoid it if you are on a budget. Even though the set is good value with two lenses any further lenses are considerably more expensive, and cheap versions are not available unlike Canon for example.
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

Quote Originally Posted by Lutze View Post
    I have an Olympus E500 DSLR camera and my advice is to avoid it if you are on a budget. Even though the set is good value with two lenses any further lenses are considerably more expensive, and cheap versions are not available unlike Canon for example.
    That's in fact the camera that we were considering getting... My fiancée has an OM10, and just received her dad's OM1 as well... though we don't use any of them now we have the Fuji.

From memory, and this was late 2006, the E500 was going to cost around $1100 without lens, or around $1600 as a bundle with 2 basic lenses. That was our entire budget for camera equip after our breakin, so thats why we went for the Fuji not-quite DSLR. It gives great pics... still learning all the different options... (Manual? Real Men don't read manuals... until they REALLY need to read a manual..)

Quote Originally Posted by grfxninja View Post
    Hey, me too, Happy Birthday mate, it's a great day

I voted Aperture, because I am just getting back into Photography after about 15yrs or so, so I might be a bit biased
    Thanks
    adamd

im using an olympus E500 as well :P with aperture 2

as others have mentioned, we cant really help you decide until you know what you would rather do.....

but i vote aperture
    2.16ghz 2gb 160gb MacBook - Leopard os
    4gb iPod Nano 1G
    8gb iPhone
    2.0ghz C2D white 17" iMac
    successful trades: ilostmypassword, jeremy_warnock, FBTN

Aperture 2.

Then next year get FCS.

Aperture.

Why?

Why the hell not.
    I am the tech savvy at-risk youth.

I have decided to get both...

Trying to get them both before Easter

Thanks to everyone who voted
    adamd

Good choice

If I could afford both and the proper cameras for them then I would get both. But I can't even get a decent camera to work with FCE HD.