Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default New to Macs: iWork '08 vs Office '08 for Mac

In all my work places Ive used microsoft office,
    having switched to a new MBP 17 (for home) and working my around this new world of computing the Apple way
    I need to make a decision
    I have a
    trial version of iwork 08
    and a
    trial version of office 08 for mac

My whole family are use to the Microsoft way both in work and School
    and while we have a desk top PC which we now want to up grade to an iMac or Macbook

I would welcome some feed back to help me make a final decision

Hi

There is an excellent article on these forums by Andrew Wilson. If you select the articles under "menu" you should be able to find it quite easily.
    Kushti

I personally prefer iWork '08, having used both. But if you think that the whole family will prefer to use Microsoft Office then that's fine. One thing I was concerned about when I had lots of Office Documents and moved to pages was how I could move them over, but it's easy to view and save Office Documents in iWork. Another good thing about iWork is it is uncluttered, where as Office '08 has even more toolbars than before. I also find that when using spaces, Office 08 behaves erratically, where as iWork is fine.

If I were you, I would go with iWork because of it's usability and it's simplicity. If money is a factor I would also go with iWork as it's cheaper… There, thats my 2 cents.
    My Site - Email Me - Add Me on iChat
    Successful Trades: Simo, ClockWork, rob05, ladyspink, cmjl, thebookfreak58, Wally, Scooterpig
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by half goon half god View Post
    Ahh thankyou HGHG.

Whenever I try to link anything from my work pc it seems to go to a blank web page......
    Kushti

I am using Open Office very successfully. I also tried NEO office with no issues too. I save all of my documents as word xp or excel xp and have havent found any issues. If you have very complex document requirements you might find the odd wrinkle, but in my experience they are few and far between. You can't complain about the price of open office either!

I use iWork, find it really nice to use after being a long time micro$oft office user. The one problem is having to export the file so i can be opened in office. But everything else is nice to use.
    24" 2.8 iMac C2
    MacBook 2.4
    3GS iPhone

Come to think of it, the one thing that niggles me is the default double spacing in Pages. That kinda gets on my nerves when doing essays for school… Otherwise, iWork '08 is the best
    My Site - Email Me - Add Me on iChat
    Successful Trades: Simo, ClockWork, rob05, ladyspink, cmjl, thebookfreak58, Wally, Scooterpig
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by encryptionmatrix View Post
    Come to think of it, the one thing that niggles me is the default double spacing in Pages. That kinda gets on my nerves when doing essays for school… Otherwise, iWork '08 is the best
    You must have it changed in your perference, mine is single space. Though i have it set to 1.5 for essays. 1.5 spacing is much better then single as it is much easier to read.
    24" 2.8 iMac C2
    MacBook 2.4
    3GS iPhone

You know what's a better alternative to Office 2008 if you still wanted to use Microsoft's office suite? Office 2007 running under Windows virtulization. I was so disappointed with OfficeMac 08 vs 07 for Windows that mum uses Office 2007 under vmware's fusion and 'unity'. Word07 even loads faster than 08 on the Macbook using this method!
    Off course if she wasn't so accustomed to MS's offering I'd switch her over to Pages in a flash.
    2005 15" PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz (1st Mac purchased on the day iTunes AU opened!); 2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro (16GB RAM; Nvidia 750M); iPad 3rd Gen 64GB w/ cellular

iWork is great if you don't badly need major .doc compatibility. Mind you, I'm really hanging out for Open Office 3.0 to come out as a full app. why? because it'll be intel-based and also native. Open Office at the moment NEEDS X11. And from what I've seen of the beta I used the other day.. craps allover neo office