Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default iBook store finally available in Australia

A few titles are certainly not as cheap as I would have hoped they would be.

In those cases, I would rather buy the actual book!
    | Alumimum iMac - 20" - 2.66Ghz | 13" MacBook Pro - Unibody 2.26Ghz | iPad2 32Gb WiFi | iPhone4 16GB | iPod: 2G Touch 8Gb, 2G Shuffle, 4G 20Gb | AppleTV |

Quote Originally Posted by Phillo View Post
    A few titles are certainly not as cheap as I would have hoped they would be.

In those cases, I would rather buy the actual book!
    My thoughts exactly. Although I have over 100 titles in iBooks, they are ePubs from other publishers that I've imported to iBooks via iTunes, and most of those were US$6 each, or less, if purchased in bundles.

OMG, the long wait equals my huge disappointment, it's a good thing I can't read.
    27' iMac 2.8 i7 8gb 2tb, MacBook Pro, Power Mac G5, iPhone 4 32gb, iPod Classic 80gb, iPad 3G 64gb, Airport Extreme, Drobo.
    www.faberman.com

had a browse earlier, I got the hardback version of JWH's book for the same price as the ebook. cant even lend the ebook to someone after I've read it.

huge disappointment

Not a bad start IMO. A little overpriced, but a decent catalog. We're used to the Kindle store, which is hard to beat in terms of volume of content right now. Apple will need a lot of time to come close to parity.

I'm having a bit of a conniption. Sir Tony Martin's last book, A Nest of Occasionals, is on the iBookstore!
    Successful transactions with tintinaujapon, sillydog701, decryption, ken-f, macmine, LaPastenague, Jordan M, leon, NathR32, trickcycle, froggy, scruffie, benerrol, hawker, midnight_e, loc04t, fission.

Publishers seem to think we don't notice that there aren't as many middle-men in eBooks compared to physical… Either they think we are dumb, they are dumb, or it's a bit of both.
    Yagan Kiely
    Website || IMSLP || Pirate Party Australia
     2008 MacBook Pro 15" — 2010 MacBook Air 13" — iPhone 4 (32gb) — iPad 3G 64gb— etc.

Holy crap! With those prices I will still be buying my books with my US iTunes account. Also my Amazon US account as well as I can then get them on my iPad as well.
    Intel iMac 24" 3.06ghz 4GB 1TB HD
    MacBook 2.16 Core 2 Duo 2GB ram 200GB HD

Well seems there may be some issues with communication early and there could have been a lot more books at launch Publishers fume at Apple iBookstore launch | The Australian
    An Aussie Online Sports Book store http://www.lockerroombooks.com.au

Great that it is working but disappointing that prices still a lot higher than what overseas users have to pay.

Is there a way to review titles and prices from my MBP through either iTunes or Firefox rather than using my small screen (iPhone).

I'm on the verge of purchasing an iPad with this years tax return and I'm in two minds whether I wait for iPad V2 or get one now. I looked earlier today at iBook and only saw a couple of dozen authors in the SciFi section, mostly none I had heard of and was seriously disappointed. But maybe it was just my iPhone not showing all it could get. Having some descent titles would certainly push me into an iPad now.

Well, I've had a fit. Those prices are ludicrous. I *wanted* to buy from the books store but that's just insane. I'll buy dead tree versions before I'll buy those. eBooks will be acquired from other sources.

The pricing seems to be all over the shop.

$20 on the iBook store for A Nest of Occasionals is cheaper than at Readings or Borders ($30), but John Howard's bio is $33 on the iBook store, $30 at Big W it's $30. Argh.

It is good to see some AU content though! Not even the Kindle has decent Australian content on it.

I think the samples will come in handy. I've just downloaded the first few chapters of John Birmingham's new book, they'll be what sells me on actually purchasing. Just depends on the price as to whether I'll buy on iBooks or bookdepository.co.uk.

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

Local publishers really are tossers. For years purchasing books online has been pointless as they are the same price in the online store as they are in a bookshop, and you have to pay postage! No wonder it never took off except for someone living back of Boulia.

And now they are busy trying to shaft the ibookstore by insisting on similar prices. A free leg up to Amazon and an acceleration of the demise of local publishing. The publishers have to realise they aren't operating in a sheltered workshop anymore.
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8

I haven't checked out the local pricing, but I have a few books now from the Kindle store. The prices there seem quite good, but the most impressive thing for me in the spontaneity that the electronic books offer. You finish one book, go the Amazon, find a title, buy and it's in the ipad. Living in Cairns I miss the Borders and other big stores in Melbourne and it makes a big difference to someone like me. You don't have to be out back to like the access.

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

Yes, I have used borders and the kindle app. I find I use the kindle app all the time as amazon has the widest selection and usually the best prices. Somehow I don't think I will be buying through the ibookstore too often.
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8

Vzzzbx's Avatar Vzzzbx is offline There is a god and his name is NOT Bob Ellis

The publishers don't want to make sales at all, do they? Borders has the same degree of overpriced content. It's ludicrous.

Yes but the Amazon Australian book store has ok pricing, John Howard for example is $16.99 so this has a bit to do with Publishers and Apple. No doubt Apple are taking a cut and that is getting added in.

Amazon actually pitches it the other way you choose your price but the commission to them is less if it is cheaper. So you can charge higher but they take more. Hence they get the price down.
    An Aussie Online Sports Book store http://www.lockerroombooks.com.au

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast