Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How do I copy a DVD?

Hey All,

Just got a quick question, I'm wanting to be able to copy a few of my DVD's for backup purposes and have no idea how to do it?

Obviously some are Dual Layer, so how do I go about it...what programs are there that are cheap or even better free to use?

I used handbrake although it was only copying one episode on the DVD's.

Thanks,

Adam.

WTF is Harmonytech? | The iBook Saga. | Successful Trades: Currawong, Byrd, xedos, Decryption, Greenie, Mivory
    sudo chmod 327 /etc/car/subaru

Thanks checking it out now!

Im getting this error.

Any ideas?

Do you have read-write access to your Downloads folder? Check using Get Info - look down the bottom where it says "You can..."

Yep it has Read & write and tried to open it on the desktop too but still not working.

Have you tried re downloading the file? Or a new version of stuffit?
    Kushti

You could try Drive-In.
    The "backup" is stored on hard disk rather than DVD. So depending on your intent may or may not solve your specific problem.

Its by the Flip4Mac people. It makes a complete copy of the dvd, maintains the copy protection of the disc, and finger prints it with your email address. Works very well. And since your not circumventing any copy protection features no one will give you a hard time about it.

http://www.flip4mac.com/drivein_download.htm

Chris
    MacBookPro 15", iPhone 3G

Successful trades : Cool Smiley, wally4000, macrob69, kaisersozay x2, gilligan911,
    step_andy, neo, mac_man_luke, Clockwork, iMarty, Simo, natakim, chocho, ARB, macman, Goodbye, gregh
    nightelves, suryo, TheKeddi

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ram View Post
    Have you tried re downloading the file? Or a new version of stuffit?
    Yeah I have tried, still not going through for me...might have to try a few other things.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjc View Post
    Yeah I have tried, still not going through for me...might have to try a few other things.
    Here, you can get it from my server:

http://zarabeth.com/temp/mtr.zip

Though, I don't see why you're having issues wth the macupdate.com link. It worked fine for me.

Mac Ram Have you tried re downloading the file? Or a new version of stuffit?
    There is no need for Stuffit here to expand the zip file (or any zip file) on macupdate.com. Tiger has a built-in expander called BOMA Archiver which will expand .zip files when double clicking on them.

Dave

Toast 8 does it fine

as for unstuffing, the terminal can do it all, if stuffit is giving problems

and as for recompressing/burning ^ Toast 7 can do it too. Toast 8 is not necessarily required.
    why are you reading this?

I've been using Burn for all of my DVD copying... I do have an external USB DVD-ROM drive connected to my Mini though, so direct copy is possible. It's available here:

http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/
    Use Google Analytics? Own a Mac running 10.4? Dashalytics might be handy...

I just tried the Drive-in software but my front row doesnt find it in the video section it actually thinks there is a dvd in the drive and reads it from there?
    24" iMac "YEAH BABY!" iPod Nano 2nd gen Pink. Pre ordered Apple TV.

similar to the OP's question, if i use MTR to make a backup to a HDD, can i then take that backup and burn it (say, using Toast 7) to a blank DVD so that is it playable?

DVDs are great technology, but they're not as hardy as the old VHS tapes which were somewhat more kidproof - DVDs scratch a heck-of-alot easier than what it takes a 3yo to pull the tape out of a VHS cassette.
    twitter :|: mwot MT profile :|: mwot

mwot: yes you can

If the DVD is larger than 4.2GB (which most commercial DVDs are) then you need to use Dual Layer discs. Or, use an application like DVD2OneX which can automagically make it fit on a single layer DVD by transcoding the MPEG-2 stream into lower quality to fit onto a single layer DVD, but it still looks identical to the original on a regular TV (an LCD/plasma will probably show up the quality difference).

thanks, decryption.

i'll be backing up the kids' DVDs. for playback, only need the main feature and the quality doesn't need to be anything special.

i'll try out the app you suggest - esp as my iMac can only burn single-layer DVDs (asaik).

can DVD2one copy a DVD using a single drive, or must i have two - one for the DVD, the other for the recording media?

i tried ripping an image file using MTR, which opens and plays fine in VLC. i thought i could perhaps then use MTR to make the images, then use DVD2one to burn a playable copy onto a DVD. but DVD2one does not recognise the resultant .vob file. wrong output setting in MTR??

Do an entire disc rip in MTR, then open up the entire folder (i.e: select the folder, not the VOB file) in DVD2One X

thanks. that seemed to do the trick. i had a couple of other probs (DVD2oneX not recognising some filesets or something), but sorted them out eventually.

am now playing my first copied DVD in the DVD player right now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast