PDA

View Full Version : Tweetbot

vernflan
15th April 2011, 07:23 AM
Anyone else got this for the for the iPhone? It's the best twitter app I've seen.

supafly
15th April 2011, 09:20 AM
Anyone else got this for the for the iPhone? It's the best twitter app I've seen.

Agreed!

Lutze
15th April 2011, 09:42 AM
You bloody mongrels!

I got sucked in by all the twitter praise for this. It's the first twitter client I've paid for and I'm really not happy.

1. No Landscape mode
2. No Push notification - yeah yeah boxcar this and that.
3. No iPad universal client (or Mac client for that matter)
4. and because of 3 there is no iOS sync

Account sync between iOS devices is something that I've wanted since I got my iPad.

babypoppop
15th April 2011, 10:17 AM
It's the first twitter client I've paid for and I'm really not happy.

personally, i would never pay for a social networking app. if the native apps weren't available, i'm more than happy to use the mobile web optimised sites. thankfully, they've developed native apps and made available for free. and, i'm happy with that.

tweetbot looks interesting, but i rather save my money for apps like games.

Comet
15th April 2011, 10:39 AM
You bloody mongrels!

I got sucked in by all the twitter praise for this. It's the first twitter client I've paid for and I'm really not happy.

1. No Landscape mode

Account sync between iOS devices is something that I've wanted since I got my iPad.

1 and 2 are going to be in the coming updates according to their blog so I wouldn't be too unhappy cause of that.

Apoptosis
15th April 2011, 11:01 AM
You bloody mongrels!

1. No Landscape mode

See:

Tweetbot is Missing Feature X!
Before you instantly dismiss Tweetbot from having every single feature on the planet, keep in mind that this is version 1.0. We have a big list of features that just didn’t make the first release. Some take longer than others or are just not as important. The bottom line is, we had to ship at some point. We felt Tweetbot in its current state made a good 1.0 and we decided to ship now instead of 2-3 months later. So please be patient with us as we continue to make Tweetbot a better client. Landscape support for composing, viewing images, websites, and videos is coming. We are also looking into our options for native push notifications. We’ve got a big list.

Fedgrub
15th April 2011, 12:47 PM
I think it's better to launch with a product that stands a chance at competing, rather than putting out a version that is years behind alternative clients.

Apoptosis
15th April 2011, 01:02 PM
I think it's better to launch with a product that stands a chance at competing, rather than putting out a version that is years behind alternative clients.

Pfft, it's not years behind...

fother
15th April 2011, 01:15 PM
It's fine. Very pretty, but feels a bit over-designed for me - conspicuously pretty, rather than just being a natural platform to work with (tweeting is work? hah).

Twitter app (now that the #dickbar is gone) feels a little more minimalist - the content dominates, rather than the UI elements.

But I've only been using tweetbot for a day though - will give it a week before deciding if I perfer it.

violaceous
15th April 2011, 04:03 PM
The design of the thing is fantastic, but it's a little on the awkward side in terms of control. I've been using it for two days now, and you do get used to it. The only thing it has over the official twitter client is the design and gestures, which more than makes up for the lack of native push notifications.

It's well worth the money, doesn't quite live up to the level of hype though.

Rust
15th April 2011, 04:52 PM
It looks interesting, still haven't made the jump yet. Been tempted though... I'm pretty happy with the official Twitter apps on iPad/iPhone for the time being.

yagankiely
15th April 2011, 04:56 PM
I think it's better to launch with a product that stands a chance at competing, rather than putting out a version that is years behind alternative clients.lolwat?

Jinkst
17th April 2011, 11:16 AM
It's a nice app. Very attractive UI. As Tapbots have said it is only the first version so it will get better in terms of usability. I'm used to using Echofon but have made the move and it's growing on me.

sirstaunch
17th April 2011, 05:18 PM
FlipBook all the way ;)

Fedgrub
17th April 2011, 06:41 PM
Pfft, it's not years behind...

lolwat?

Yeah, you guys are probably right it's not years... But it does feel that way considering these are quite basic features that should be included. They've moved from being a luxury to an expectation.

grfxninja
17th April 2011, 07:00 PM
…doesn't quite live up to the level of hype though.
I tend to agree with this statement. Every person on the planet was praising it to the max, so I bought because I figured it must be pretty good if the people I follow and respect think it's so good. Almost feel let down to a certain degree

…1. No Landscape mode
3. No iPad … client
I realise these are on their way, but still disappointed that v1 doesn't have landscape mode

You and me both…

In saying this, I realise Tapbots don't owe me shit, so who am I to complain…

yagankiely
17th April 2011, 09:00 PM
Yeah, you guys are probably right it's not years... But it does feel that way considering these are quite basic features that should be included. They've moved from being a luxury to an expectation.I've never used landscape apart from with video and photos (no excuse, but just letting you know). A large amount of Twitter apps don't have notifications, how is this an expectation?

tom5955
17th April 2011, 09:26 PM
It's pretty unfair to expect sync across devices when it's quite clear that the app only exists on the iPhone/iPod Touch.

I'd like it, but obviously it's not a possibility until it's ported to the other two devices.

yagankiely
18th April 2011, 03:27 AM
I'd say it's also unfair to expect them to launch with multi-device support.

To those who haven't been paying much attention to Twitter (the company, not the service) they aren't exactly making it fun for 3rd party devs after they acquired Tweetie.

Jinkst
18th April 2011, 07:48 AM
I've never used landscape apart from with video and photos (no excuse, but just letting you know). A large amount of Twitter apps don't have notifications, how is this an expectation?

Neither have I. Just as I don't use it for texting, Facebook, Safari, Mail etc. Landscape isn't a deal breaker for me. It's obviously a necessity on one apps, ie games, but really, it's not a concern to me. Notifications would be a higher want in my book.

gehenna
18th April 2011, 08:00 AM
I'm usually pretty slow to jump on bandwagons, but I noticed a lot of hype about this the other day and decided to give it a go since I've been unhappy with Twitter.app since it changed from Tweetie. I'm really liking Tweetbot. It's got a nice, smooth, intuitive UI with just enough new stuff to make it interesting, and just enough of the same stuff implemented slightly differently.

I'd say it's worth a go for anyone looking for a change from the Twitter app. Landscape doesn't affect me as I never use it for anything other than games/media.

Fedgrub
21st April 2011, 02:37 PM
I'd say it's also unfair to expect them to launch with multi-device support.

To those who haven't been paying much attention to Twitter (the company, not the service) they aren't exactly making it fun for 3rd party devs after they acquired Tweetie.

Hypothetically - Would you accept it if Apple brought out the next Mac lineup without any USB ports, and no optical drive? Or would you just accept it and still buy one, despite all other machines offering this support? I know what I would do.

And yeah I know Twitter is partially to blame for the difficulties, I just think they should have continued to develop it further before releasing it.

yagankiely
22nd April 2011, 02:49 AM
Hypothetically - Would you accept it if Apple brought out the next Mac lineup without any USB ports, and no optical drive? Or would you just accept it and still buy one, despite all other machines offering this support? I know what I would do.Optical drive? Yes, I wish they'd just get rid of all of them; I don't use CDs anymore, I don't use DVDs and Blu-ray was dead on arrival, but that's not really for this discussion. USB? Hardly a legitimate comparison to landscape (which not everyone uses and doesn't effect the usability of the app to any great extent) or notifications (which I'd speculate that most Twitter apps don't have and also doesn't effect the usability; Twitterrific and Twittelator come to mind), as USB is frequently used by many and is often a requirement for certain accessories, for example iPads, iPods and iPhones (and has only just begun it's death cycle). Additionally, USBs can't be added in a later free update that is without doubt likely to come.

I understand where you are coming from, but I just can't see it has anything that should be 'complained' about by anyone. Sure, let the dev know about things you aren't happy with, but complain?

BiRDBRAiN
22nd April 2011, 04:37 PM
Reasons to like over Twitter App:
1) No dickbar!
2) Doesn't skip tweets

Point 2 is a biggie for me because there is nothing more annoying than person X at work saying "hey did you see so-and-so's tweet on whatcha-call-it" and thinking to myself, "I've read all the tweets but missed that one".

In my line of work missing tweets from people I follow can sometimes mean missing out on stuff people expect me to know about, so this "feature" of the Twitter App really shits me.

Well done to Tapbots!

Fedgrub
22nd April 2011, 04:38 PM
Optical drive? Yes, I wish they'd just get rid of all of them; I don't use CDs anymore, I don't use DVDs and Blu-ray was dead on arrival, but that's not really for this discussion. USB? Hardly a legitimate comparison to landscape (which not everyone uses and doesn't effect the usability of the app to any great extent) or notifications (which I'd speculate that most Twitter apps don't have and also doesn't effect the usability; Twitterrific and Twittelator come to mind), as USB is frequently used by many and is often a requirement for certain accessories, for example iPads, iPods and iPhones (and has only just begun it's death cycle). Additionally, USBs can't be added in a later free update that is without doubt likely to come.

I understand where you are coming from, but I just can't see it has anything that should be 'complained' about by anyone. Sure, let the dev know about things you aren't happy with, but complain?

You raise a lot of good points there.

It's not that I am 'complaining', because they haven't released an app that's broken, it's just that it doesn't wow me like it is doing for other people. It just feels a little overrated. I definitely think in time it could become a powerful client, but for now there's nothing to make me switch.

grfxninja
22nd April 2011, 05:42 PM
2) Doesn't skip tweets

Point 2 is a biggie for me because there is nothing more annoying than person X at work saying "hey did you see so-and-so's tweet on whatcha-call-it" and thinking to myself, "I've read all the tweets but missed that one".

In my line of work missing tweets from people I follow can sometimes mean missing out on stuff people expect me to know about, so this "feature" of the Twitter App really shits me.

Well done to Tapbots!

I thought this was just me missing tweets… I had people asking if I saw their tweet on such-and-such and would reply with a blank stare LOL

yagankiely
22nd April 2011, 10:59 PM
You raise a lot of good points there.

It's not that I am 'complaining', because they haven't released an app that's broken, it's just that it doesn't wow me like it is doing for other people. It just feels a little overrated. I definitely think in time it could become a powerful client, but for now there's nothing to make me switch.And fair enough too. I wasn't directing that specifically at you; I have read people 'complain' elsewhere.

Dr_Inkduff
28th April 2011, 04:00 PM
Wow, didn't even know that the native one skipped tweets, I could have missed hundreds without even knowing :/

Downloading Tweetbot now... I heard the hype a while ago but decided not to go with it but you guys seem to have talked it up enough to warrant a purchase... Hopefully I end up agreeing :P