PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing VLC

On-Site-Tec
2nd November 2005, 10:45 PM
Hi,

Id like to know how to best speed up VLC so I can play most of my avi files on my iMac G3 400. It plays them but drops lots of frames.

This might sound like a completely STUPID idea, but is it even possible to slightly overclock the CPU in this iMac? Not that it would be a great idea, seems to get a little hot.

Also im mirroring the display onto my LCD TV, so how can I set VLC to streach the image upwards so it is in the proper aspect on my 16:9 TV?

Thanks.

Matt.

nard
2nd November 2005, 11:15 PM
I'd steer clear of overclocking but FWIW you can fix the LCD problem by choosing "Overscan" from the Displays item in System Preferences. (I'm assuming that you're using S-video or composite video to connect the display.)

On-Site-Tec
2nd November 2005, 11:31 PM
Im using VGA out on the iMac, its a DV SE model.

I basically want just the proper aspect ratio for playback and disabling things that slow VLC down like post processing etc.

kit
3rd November 2005, 06:57 AM
That computer just plain won't play movies at an adequate frame rate unless they're vanilla AVIs. Over-clocking wouldn't help either; it's mostly a video card thing.

As for VLC stretching the image, does Preferences > Video > Output module > macosx > Stretch Aspect Ratio work?

Byrd
3rd November 2005, 07:51 AM
Overclocking is a soldering job - not a simple task.

Haven't got a Mac in front of me at present, but to into VLC preferences, click on 'advanced' and check anything that says 'hurry up'

JB