PDA

View Full Version : Apple Store Brisbane City

Rogerthatv2
26th March 2011, 08:47 AM
Hi all, I heard from a little, well informed birdy last night that Apple have a site now in the Brisbane CBD. My little birdy won't tell me the exact site but as she says I cannot keep a secret...:naughty:

Will keep you posted as I find out more.

Cheers Daniel

kevinnugent
26th March 2011, 02:38 PM
Any timing information, Dan?

Fedgrub
26th March 2011, 02:50 PM
Awesome!

entropy
26th March 2011, 03:14 PM
Wintergarden flagship store I bet

Rogerthatv2
26th March 2011, 03:24 PM
Soon is all I know and that it is not in the winter garden, it has a very prominent position but. I will be attempting to get more info tonight.

Fedgrub
27th March 2011, 09:05 AM
Find anything out?

maclab
29th March 2011, 07:34 PM
Replacing Borders?

kevinnugent
29th March 2011, 09:18 PM
That Borders site would be A+

maclab
30th March 2011, 10:17 AM
That Borders site would be A+

Would be a bit ironic too :-)

Steeley
30th March 2011, 11:45 AM
Maybe also in that new building on Albert and Margaret? brisbane city - Google Maps (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=brisbane+city&aq=&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=61.370254,94.746094&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Brisbane+Queensland&ll=-27.471934,153.027459&spn=0.003827,0.005783&z=18&layer=c&cbll=-27.472652,153.028236&panoid=-fEuL09LcFnmcK_Z9pgUAg&cbp=12,356.71,,0,-9.94)

It seems to have a fair bit of glass now in true Apple style.

Apoptosis
30th March 2011, 12:08 PM
Seriously, the last thing I need is an Apple store 20min from where I work and live!! Haha.

kevinnugent
30th March 2011, 01:14 PM
Maybe also in that new building on Albert and Margaret? brisbane city - Google Maps (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=brisbane+city&aq=&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=61.370254,94.746094&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Brisbane+Queensland&ll=-27.471934,153.027459&spn=0.003827,0.005783&z=18&layer=c&cbll=-27.472652,153.028236&panoid=-fEuL09LcFnmcK_Z9pgUAg&cbp=12,356.71,,0,-9.94)

It seems to have a fair bit of glass now in true Apple style.

Could be. Not the "best" part of town really though.

benwong
30th March 2011, 01:26 PM
I'd like to see it in Macarthur Central where Dymocks was. It's a nice building with lots of space. Just out of the mall, but still in a high traffic area.

Rogerthatv2
30th March 2011, 06:03 PM
It's not the borders store and that is about as much info that my wife will give me...

Fedgrub
1st April 2011, 02:23 PM
Come on man... In a relationship you are meant to share everything... lol

kevinnugent
1st April 2011, 04:40 PM
Yeah, in a relationship maybe, but I think Daniel's married. :)

Rogerthatv2
1st April 2011, 05:59 PM
Spot on Kevin, and to a lawyer as well... screwed is the word...:cool:

Apple_4_Brisbane
1st April 2011, 10:34 PM
I've heard it will open at the MacArthur Chambers site - the old Dymocks store - cnr Queen St & Edward St.

Shaxbon
1st April 2011, 10:35 PM
Hmmm I've thought this might have been the case for a couple of weeks now, primarily due construction/renovations going on on the Mall.

If any of you travel up to the top of Queen St Mall up to George st, there used to be an old Coffee Club and right next to it a Brisbane Hair Dressers (which also went down stairs).

It's had 7 foot walls around it for a number of weeks now, while its not in a prime location, its still on the Mall (Brisbane's busiest street).

I would think the only other alternative would be Borders, but unless its going to be turned into a major flagship store, it'd be significantly too much floor space for them, it'd be bigger than NYC and even London's Regent St.

Exocet
2nd April 2011, 10:29 AM
It wont be the Coffee Club.

Apple_4_Brisbane
2nd April 2011, 02:04 PM
That site on cnr Queen Street Mall and George St is going to become a branch of St George Bank

I doubt REDGroup are looking to close down any Borders in capital city CBDs just yet, so I reckon that's a no goer.

The only obvious one to me (aside from Wintergarden which has already been ruled out) is Macarthur Chambers

Fedgrub
3rd April 2011, 12:45 AM
It's likely, but MacArthur is so disjointed from the center.

entropy
3rd April 2011, 11:25 PM
I think MacArthur would be good, although the entrance may not be apple style. The facade would be heritage listed.

Rogerthatv2
4th April 2011, 05:40 AM
There are many stores out there that are built into something with far more heritage to it then Brisbane offers, I am still hopeful it will be in a better location then MacArtur Central...

Paris Opera - Apple
http://cdn.materialiste.com/materialiste/img/apple-store-opera-paris/apple-store-opera-paris-1.jpg

Or London Regent Street - Apple
http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/europe/uk/england/london/west/london-w1/regent-street/apple-store-london/apple-store-london.jpg

And there is many many more. I quite like the look of the old meeting the new, works quite well and Apple seem to get it right. I was lucky enough to peek into the Paris Opera store just before in opened, it looked incredible. The store at the Lourve is equally as impressive.

I have not given up hope, still trying to get it out of her, I just need to trick her up so she spills it.

Cheers Daniel

maclab
5th April 2011, 12:04 AM
Hmmm I've thought this might have been the case for a couple of weeks now, primarily due construction/renovations going on on the Mall.

If any of you travel up to the top of Queen St Mall up to George st, there used to be an old Coffee Club and right next to it a Brisbane Hair Dressers (which also went down stairs).

It's had 7 foot walls around it for a number of weeks now, while its not in a prime location, its still on the Mall (Brisbane's busiest street).

I would think the only other alternative would be Borders, but unless its going to be turned into a major flagship store, it'd be significantly too much floor space for them, it'd be bigger than NYC and even London's Regent St.

If its the site i am thinkng of, St George Bank is going in.

yinyang
7th April 2011, 11:53 AM
I doubt REDGroup are looking to close down any Borders in capital city CBDs just yet, so I reckon that's a no goer.

well that situation has now changed.

maybe Apple will take that corner of Albert & Elizabeth - three floors of Apple goodness....!

possibly :)

rac2703
12th April 2011, 09:49 PM
maybe the old discount shop that closed down on Queen st. just outside the Malls stage, its a decent size and right on the Mall

McBanjo
14th April 2011, 06:21 PM
I know a guy who knows a guy who apparently said it'll be in the newly refurbished Wintergarden.

the8thark
19th April 2011, 07:53 PM
This would be a really good if there was an Apple Store in Brisbane. I'd so go there. I've not yet been to an Apple store. Only reseller stores. I would even hake the effort to go there on the store grand opening day. That's only about 1 hour from where I live.

kevinnugent
19th April 2011, 11:09 PM
This would be a really good if there was an Apple Store in Brisbane. I'd so go there. I've not yet been to an Apple store. Only reseller stores. I would even hake the effort to go there on the store grand opening day. That's only about 1 hour from where I live.

There *is* one at Chermside.... are you way way out in the West or somewhere (I would have said South, but there's one in Robina too).

Shaxbon
20th April 2011, 12:17 PM
There seems to be a big renovation going where the Pen Shoppe was on the top of Elizabeth st, opposite the Myer centre.

Additionally, on Elizabeth St, theres this new facade basically opposite the Wintergarden next to Dick Smith that has a white overhang.

But Im not too sure if Apple would want to be located in that area of Elizabeth st as its pretty run down!

SRG
20th April 2011, 02:33 PM
Australian Financial Review has them linked with the Borders store, no doubt all parties would make a good deal for Apple there to ensure a new tennant quickly and to limit the claim on the Administrator for breaking the lease.

They also link them with the macArthur site.

If it helps Savills handles all Asia Pacific Apple stores so if you know anyone who works for them!

the8thark
21st April 2011, 12:21 AM
There *is* one at Chermside.... are you way way out in the West or somewhere (I would have said South, but there's one in Robina too).
Yes I live "way out in the west" as you put it. I live in Ipswich technically. So yeah nowhere near Robina or Chermiside. I'd like to have a Brisbane CBD one. But if not. I can always get myself to the Chermside one at a stretch.

Exocet
28th April 2011, 04:49 PM
MacArthur Central looks to be a goer:
https://img.skitch.com/20110428-bea9c6ck2x9nppwj1225n68tc8.jpg

Development Application A003063677

Apple_4_Brisbane
28th April 2011, 04:56 PM
^^
Cannot explain my excitement having seen this!! Can't wait!!
Camping out for iPhone 5 launch anyone?

yinyang
28th April 2011, 05:00 PM
So this is the older Dymocks then - that's what I'm guessing from the steps on the bottom left of the plan

Steeley
28th April 2011, 05:15 PM
That's perfect! Duck into JB-Hifi and BigW before heading into Apple and price match away! Too easy!

Apple_4_Brisbane
28th April 2011, 05:18 PM
Yep that's the one. Home to the tacky Book Stars store at present

Steeley
28th April 2011, 05:24 PM
For the kids playing at home: macarthur chambers brisbane - Google Maps (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=macarthur+chambers+brisbane&ie=UTF8&hq=macarthur+chambers&hnear=Brisbane+Queensland&ll=-27.46839,153.026998&spn=0.001837,0.00287&z=19&layer=c&cbll=-27.468336,153.026946&panoid=qc72dQlrMRtTzsjEc84CDA&cbp=12,88.34,,0,-14.3)

jellway
28th April 2011, 05:44 PM
BCC DA Application (http://pdonline.brisbane.qld.gov.au/masterview/modules/applicationmaster/default.aspx?page=wrapper&key=A003063677)

PDF of plans (http://pdonline.brisbane.qld.gov.au/masterview/modules/documentmaster/viewdocumentftp.aspx?key=pDGvyFzSN3bRInR%2bnu%2fwU yaNqCF7I6hJPGgS2TkA56I9jqT3pcWv7hv6IRjOBOYz)

Exocet
28th April 2011, 05:54 PM
News post and summary coming shortly.

Rogerthatv2
28th April 2011, 07:02 PM
My wife just confirmed it as well, she said I guessed it once and thought that I had picked it up but it went over my head. Happy days but I still think we are quite a few months off. Good site but and will be a good size store with a bit of class to it. Looking forward to it.

Phormic
28th April 2011, 08:30 PM
What a lovely old building. Gotta hand it to Apple. They don't do anything by half.

Exocet
28th April 2011, 08:31 PM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/696628/macarthur/Macarthur_central.jpg
A development application was lodged today with the Brisbane City Council for MacArthur Chambers, a 1930s English Renaissance styled building draped in history and located in the heart of the Brisbane CBD. In the application made to council, the retail tenancy covering the ground floor, mezzanine and basement are set to be overhauled and restored to their former glory.

A review of the architectural drawings supplied show immediately recognisable hallmarks of Apple's retail style. Areas for the Genius Bar, Kids Corner and iPod and iPhone accessories can be found alongside Apple's trademark sugarmaple tables and characteristic stools. A section drawing showing the store's Queen Street frontage includes a coyly reserved square area for "internally illuminated store signage" directly above the entryway which will feature twin reconstructed glazed doors.

The renovation includes a mammoth $3.84m simply to demolish the existing renovations which were completed in the 1980s and again in 2001. The project seeks to "create a high quality retail outlet which showcases the architectural qualities of the original Assurance Chamber and adds contemporary elements of comparable quality."

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/696628/macarthur/Screen%20shot%202011-04-28%20at%208.08.10%20PM.png

Recent Apple Stores such as Covent Gardens in the UK, and Paris Opera in France have shown Apple to embrace and enhance the existing heritage fabric of their sites rather than simply throwing a façade of aluminium and plaster in front of them.

The MacArthur Chambers renovation includes several clues to the potential tenant, including
a "uniform stone floor finish" and adjusting the space to house "the new feature stairs", floor to ceiling retail display shelfing, and most convincingly a trio of wall-mounted displays equidistant from one another and sitting behind a long "bar" complete with stools.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/696628/macarthur/Screen%20shot%202011-04-28%20at%208.09.33%20PM.png

The development application is yet to be assigned to a planning officer for assessment, and given the significant heritage listing attached to the site it may take some time. However, once approved the project is expected to take three months to complete.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/696628/macarthur/Screen%20shot%202011-04-28%20at%208.17.16%20PM.png

So here's to Apple's 11th Australian Store, in a setting which will prove to be certainly its most exquisite yet. For further reading you can check out the floor and section plans (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/696628/macarthur/urdesJraLD.pdf) and for more specific information about the work being done to restore the interior, this document (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/696628/macarthur/urdesJraLD.pdf) gets interesting from about page 16 onwards. The entire development application can be viewed online at the Brisbane City Council website (http://pdonline.brisbane.qld.gov.au/MasterView/modules/applicationmaster/default.aspx?page=wrapper&key=A003063677).

kevinnugent
28th April 2011, 08:31 PM
That's going to be one purty Apple Store, alright.

Phormic
28th April 2011, 08:42 PM
There's a lot amount of office space upstairs. Many Apple stores now also have a "Briefing Room", specifically to attract business customers.

Exocet
28th April 2011, 08:47 PM
Downstairs, actually - the first page of the plans is the basement.

yinyang
28th April 2011, 09:06 PM
What a lovely old building. Gotta hand it to Apple. They don't do anything by half.

well with the amount of cash they have in reserves, AU$4m isn't very much lol!!

supafly
28th April 2011, 09:09 PM
Nice, looks like a great location. Should do better than the failed DYMOCKS

Phormic
28th April 2011, 09:20 PM
well with the amount of cash they have in reserves, AU$4m isn't very much lol!!

What do you mean? It's about 0.007% of their cash and long term securities!

alzzla
28th April 2011, 09:20 PM
I remember going into that building when it was a Dymocks store. Its reasonably sized, and it'll be bigger then the Apple store at Chermside. Be interesting to see what it looks like when done.

kevinnugent
28th April 2011, 09:25 PM
I think the $4m figure was to just trash the existing reno's. I'm sure they are spending more than that. I worked in that building when it was a Metropolitan Permanent Building Society branch. It was nice then, now it will be amazing.

the8thark
29th April 2011, 01:50 AM
I am so going on it's grand opening day. And getting some photos of myself there. I think it'll be fantastic. I just hope Apple tell us the grand opening day before it happens so we can be there.

I do worry about all the Apple resellers though in Brisbane. I hope they don't die out cause of the new Apple store. I know elsewhere when the Apple Store came to town a lot of the resellers lost business. A lot of business.

scar68
29th April 2011, 07:38 AM
Great info Exo. Your sources have served you well :)

Very very impressive set up and cap ex.

With all the buildings in Melb CBD, with their varied styles sizes and locations, you would think there would be one that ticked all the Apple check boxes and finally gave us a CBD store. I know there is one for 3205, Sth Melb but I wouldn't expect it to be as grand as this new Brisbane outlet.

I went to a store in Glasgow that was also in an older building that they refurbished. Apart from the beautiful design and functionality I was amazed at the detail/$ they put into preserving and recreating the historical features of the existing building. Very few retailers would bother with the level of detail Apple come up with. It really makes their stores in older buildings all the more special.

Fedgrub
29th April 2011, 09:18 AM
I'll definately be there. Really glad to hear that they are building it in a heritage building rather than their usual glass box. Adds an extra touch.

Don't care about Brisbane's NextByte to be honest, I've only had horrible experiences there. The staff were always rude to me, so I stopped going there a while ago. I would have more sympathy if they treated their customers with respect.

supafly
29th April 2011, 09:55 AM
I'll definately be there. Really glad to hear that they are building it in a heritage building rather than their usual glass box. Adds an extra touch.

Don't care about Brisbane's NextByte to be honest, I've only had horrible experiences there. The staff were always rude to me, so I stopped going there a while ago. I would have more sympathy if they treated their customers with respect.

100% agreed! I had the most ridiculous thing ever happen to me there about 2 years ago. I went in at 4:55pm to buy a set of inner ear headphones because I had lost my old pair that morning when getting off the train. I lined up in the queue and by the time it was my turn to be served it was 5:10pm and they tried telling me that I had to pay an extra $10 on top because I was getting 'special treatment' outside of business hours.....the whole thing was ridiculous which ended with me putting the headphones back and never returning.

They also took a look at a friends Macbook Pro and tried charging him a $200 premium because he took it in on a Saturday.

pyrite
29th April 2011, 10:20 AM
Nice coverage Exo :)

Fedgrub
29th April 2011, 11:02 AM
100% agreed! I had the most ridiculous thing ever happen to me there about 2 years ago. I went in at 4:55pm to buy a set of inner ear headphones because I had lost my old pair that morning when getting off the train. I lined up in the queue and by the time it was my turn to be served it was 5:10pm and they tried telling me that I had to pay an extra $10 on top because I was getting 'special treatment' outside of business hours.....the whole thing was ridiculous which ended with me putting the headphones back and never returning.

They also took a look at a friends Macbook Pro and tried charging him a $200 premium because he took it in on a Saturday.

It's that kind of shit that makes me so apathetic about their future.

MattJelonek
29th April 2011, 11:03 AM
Apple eyes prime Brisbane building MacArthur Chambers for new flagship store | Courier Mail (http://www.couriermail.com.au/property/apple-eyes-prime-brisbane-building-macarthur-chambers-for-new-flagship-store/story-e6frequ6-1226046675746)

Exocet
29th April 2011, 11:49 AM
Apple eyes prime Brisbane building MacArthur Chambers for new flagship store | Courier Mail (http://www.couriermail.com.au/property/apple-eyes-prime-brisbane-building-macarthur-chambers-for-new-flagship-store/story-e6frequ6-1226046675746)

A link-back would have been nice, but meh.

decryption
29th April 2011, 11:57 AM
Jen Dudley knows better... :(

the8thark
29th April 2011, 11:24 PM
Seems we (as a forum) were credited for finding the info. Woot :).
No link back to the forums though. But oh well. Makes me even happier to be back on these forums.

alzzla
30th April 2011, 03:13 PM
Seems we (as a forum) were credited for finding the info. Woot :).
No link back to the forums though. But oh well. Makes me even happier to be back on these forums.

Well heres another site thats spreading the news. And ironically I read this site for info first. lol
http://http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/04/29/apple_looking_to_historic_wwii_brisbane_building_f or_next_australian_retail_store.html

At least he links back to us as the original source.

the8thark
30th April 2011, 06:36 PM
No link to us.

AppleInsider | Apple looking to historic WWII Brisbane building for next Australian retail store (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/04/29/apple_looking_to_historic_wwii_brisbane_building_f or_next_australian_retail_store.html)
Yes link to us.

Apple eyes historic WWII site for Brisbane store | MacNN (http://www.macnn.com/articles/11/04/29/would.be.largest.store.in.australia/)
Yes link to us.

Apple Store set for Brisbane CBD (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/business/brisbane-set-for-a-bite-at-the-apple-20110420-1doop.html)
No link to us.

Apple takes large bite in Brisbane (http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/apple-takes-large-bite-in-brisbane-20110429-1dzm9.html)
No link to us.

Apple planning huge Brisbane, Australia Apple Store (http://www.tuaw.com/2011/04/29/apple-planning-huge-brisbane-australia-apple-store/)
No link to us.

New Apple Store to open in historic Brisbane - International Business Times (http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/139505/20110429/new-apple-store-to-open-in-historic-brisbane.htm)
No link to us.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/04/apple’s-next-marquee-store-to-be-in-brisbane/
No link to us.

New Flagship Apple Store Coming to Brisbane, Australia - Mac Rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/29/new-flagship-apple-store-coming-to-brisbane-australia/)
Yes link to us. (Kinda insulted this is a page 2 news story there.).

Apple planning new retail store in Brisbane, Australia | MacNews (http://www.macnews.com/2011/04/29/apple-planning-new-retail-store-brisbane-australia)
No link to us.

Apple takes large bite in Brisbane (http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/apple-takes-large-bite-in-brisbane-20110429-1dzm9.html)
No link to us.

# Proposed: Macarthur Chambers Renovation (Apple Store Brisbane) - SkyscraperCity (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=76870479)
(Not an article but it shows the entire plans for the proposed Apple Store.)

Apple eyes for WWII HQ in Brisbane? | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/apple-eyes-for-wwii-hq-in-brisbane/story-fn7celvh-1226046699858)
No link to us.

Apple Plans Largest Australian Store In Brisbane CBD | iPhather (http://www.iphather.com/apple-plans-largest-australian-store-in-brisbane-cbd/)
No link to us.

Apple Plans Largest Australian Store In Brisbane CBD (http://www.macstories.net/news/apple-plans-largest-australian-store-in-brisbane-cbd/)
No link to us.

Apple eyes for WWII HQ in Brisbane? | thetelegraph.com.au (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/apple-eyes-for-wwii-hq-in-brisbane/story-fn7bsi21-1226046699858)
No link to us.

Apple planning huge Brisbane, Australia Apple Store | iphone4tutorials.com (http://iphone4tutorials.com/iphone/apple-planning-huge-brisbane-australia-apple-store)
No link to us.

Apple planning huge Brisbane, Australia Apple Store | Ergopro.com (http://ergopro.automatedbusinessgenius.com/apple-planning-huge-brisbane-australia-apple-store/)
No link to us. And they incorrectly quote someone else for breaking the story.

Apple Plans Largest Australian Store In Brisbane CBD | I Has Apple ! (http://www.ihasapple.com/2011/04/apple-plans-largest-australian-store-in-brisbane-cbd/#comment-3445)
No link to us.

Apple Plans Largest Australian Store In Brisbane CBD (http://cydevice.net/Thread-Apple-Plans-Largest-Australian-Store-In-Brisbane-CBD)
No link to us.

And so on and so on.
So many sites refuse to give proper credit to Exocet for breaking this news. They either give credit to other sources incorrectly or don't give any credit at all to anyone. Sad really. If I did that at tafe of University I'd be busted for plagiarism. Not properly quoting the references in which information was found.

Exocet
30th April 2011, 06:45 PM
To be fair, if they credited SkyScraperCity they've done the right thing. The plans (among many others) were linked there initially. Once I realised what they were for I got to work on my news post, by the time I got back to SSC they'd reached the same conclusion as myself around the same time.

jellway
30th April 2011, 08:05 PM
http://www.ifoapplestore.com/db/2011/04/29/heritage-building-will-host-new-australia-store/

Credited

Neo Utopia
30th April 2011, 11:05 PM
Good choice, it's a central location and is a beautiful old building. I'll be going there a lot.

thetron
1st May 2011, 12:55 AM
This would coincident with Apple recruitment drives that happen every 6 months. For some reason they want to build up staff between robina and chermside. This I found to be quite odd

Funny thing I mentioned outloud in the career expo "Queen Street" would be an obvious target. Didn't get the job either.... Probably cause I was a windows guy and my google search scared Blayne (who does the recruiting in QLD for Apple)

Both Robina and Chermside what apples defined as the "Suburb Stors" in the career expo

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

Btw anyone notice the construction company name at the bottom.... Geyer....

Geyer= Gayer!!!

Is someone pulling a joke?

Exocet
1st May 2011, 12:31 PM
They're a respected architectural firm who have designed hundreds of retail sites around australia. What's your point?

jellway
1st May 2011, 12:42 PM
Btw anyone notice the construction company name at the bottom.... Geyer....

Geyer= Gayer!!!

Is someone pulling a joke?

Juvenile much?

It's actually pronounced Gi-er

Lutze
1st May 2011, 12:43 PM
It would almost be funny if it turns out to be a Microsoft photocopy store ;)

jellway
1st May 2011, 12:45 PM
It would almost be funny if it turns out to be a Microsoft photocopy store ;)

Yeah or a T-life

Shaxbon
2nd May 2011, 02:14 PM
Yeah or a T-life

heh I think I would cry.

But for some reason the Phone companies have this idea of putting multiples of their stores on the Mall, rather than focusing on size.

There would be atleast; 2 Telstra, 2 Vodafone, 2 Three and Perhaps 3/4 Optus stores (Optus just opened a new one near Post Office Square).

Lutze
2nd May 2011, 02:22 PM
heh I think I would cry.

But for some reason the Phone companies have this idea of putting multiples of their stores on the Mall, rather than focusing on size.

There would be atleast; 2 Telstra, 2 Vodafone, 2 Three and Perhaps 3/4 Optus stores (Optus just opened a new one near Post Office Square).

Most of those stores will not be Telstra, Vodafail, 3 or Optus owned though. They are almost all resellers - that's not because I've seen them, that's just how the market is.

DeKa
2nd May 2011, 03:06 PM
Most of those stores will not be Telstra, Vodafail, 3 or Optus owned though. They are almost all resellers - that's not because I've seen them, that's just how the market is.

Vodafone own theirs (they bought them all back - http://www.insideretailing.com.au/Latest/tabid/53/ID/5620/Vodafone-to-buy-back-chains.aspx ) but there are lots of resellers. Not sure on other carriers stores.

the8thark
20th May 2011, 10:34 AM
I found a new link on the subject.
http://www.ifoapplestore.com/db/2011/04/29/heritage-building-will-host-new-australia-store/
The guy who runs the site is supposedly the know it all of Apple retail. And in the link he linked back to us ad the ones who broke the story.

WooHoo :)

kevinnugent
3rd June 2011, 11:39 AM
Anyone go past this place on a semi regular basis? With a camera?? :)

yinyang
3rd June 2011, 11:42 AM
still a crappy bookshop....!!

Alec Fraser
3rd June 2011, 11:48 AM
Anyone go past this place on a semi regular basis? With a camera?? :)

I catch the bus home from there every now and then, and as yinyang said, it's still just a crappy book store. I'm checking every time I go past now though...it'll be an excellent place to kill time (and my bank balance :( ) waiting for the bus ;)

yinyang
3rd June 2011, 01:39 PM
still a crappy bookshop....!!

well what was true two days ago is now no longer the case....

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3633/5792501670_70c0297030_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/albertyinyang/5792501670/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/albertyinyang/5792501670/) by yinyang (http://www.flickr.com/people/albertyinyang/), on Flickr

Let the refurb begin is all I can say....!!

spargo
7th June 2011, 12:31 PM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/696628/macarthur/Macarthur_central.jpg
A development application was lodged today with the Brisbane City Council for MacArthur Chambers, a 1930s English Renaissance styled building draped in history and located in the heart of the Brisbane CBD. In the application made to council, the retail tenancy covering the ground floor, mezzanine and basement are set to be overhauled and restored to their former glory.

A review of the architectural drawings supplied show immediately recognisable hallmarks of Apple's retail style. Areas for the Genius Bar, Kids Corner and iPod and iPhone accessories can be found alongside Apple's trademark sugarmaple tables and characteristic stools. A section drawing showing the store's Queen Street frontage includes a coyly reserved square area for "internally illuminated store signage" directly above the entryway which will feature twin reconstructed glazed doors.

The renovation includes a mammoth $3.84m simply to demolish the existing renovations which were completed in the 1980s and again in 2001. The project seeks to "create a high quality retail outlet which showcases the architectural qualities of the original Assurance Chamber and adds contemporary elements of comparable quality."

Recent Apple Stores such as Covent Gardens in the UK, and Paris Opera in France have shown Apple to embrace and enhance the existing heritage fabric of their sites rather than simply throwing a façade of aluminium and plaster in front of them.

The MacArthur Chambers renovation includes several clues to the potential tenant, including
a "uniform stone floor finish" and adjusting the space to house "the new feature stairs", floor to ceiling retail display shelfing, and most convincingly a trio of wall-mounted displays equidistant from one another and sitting behind a long "bar" complete with stools.

The development application is yet to be assigned to a planning officer for assessment, and given the significant heritage listing attached to the site it may take some time. However, once approved the project is expected to take three months to complete.

So here's to Apple's 11th Australian Store, in a setting which will prove to be certainly its most exquisite yet. For further reading you can check out the floor and section plans (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/696628/macarthur/urdesJraLD.pdf) and for more specific information about the work being done to restore the interior, this document (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/696628/macarthur/urdesJraLD.pdf) gets interesting from about page 16 onwards. The entire development application can be viewed online at the Brisbane City Council website (http://pdonline.brisbane.qld.gov.au/MasterView/modules/applicationmaster/default.aspx?page=wrapper&key=A003063677).

I heard via an unrelated matter that the lodged preliminary approval for building work was approved by Council delegate last week. The heritage issues have been dealt with as part of the prelim approval.

Expect it to get underway soon enough. Store opening by xmas?

the8thark
7th June 2011, 08:50 PM
This is fantastic news. Bring it on I say. I can't to be walking in this store. But with Lion on the MAS I don't know what I'll there. I'm sure I'll find something though :).

yinyang
20th June 2011, 02:32 PM
just an fyi - the Macarthur site has now had all its windows blacked out at street level and upstairs.

so work could be starting soon....!

the8thark
20th June 2011, 06:57 PM
It looks like work will start soon. Which is great news. I can't wait to see this store. And how pretty it will be inside.

LCGuy
27th June 2011, 08:06 AM
Currently in Brisbane for the week, walked past it on Saturday, apart from one sign, all the BookStars signage has come down. Bring it on. :D

yinyang
14th July 2011, 02:57 PM
There is a lot of noise and stuff coming from behind the blacked out windows of the Macarthur site.

thorntonp
14th July 2011, 03:16 PM
Don't get too excited - opening date is not till March 2012. (I know the building manager)

the8thark
14th July 2011, 10:41 PM
Well at least March 2012 is a date. We can pen it in to be there at the grand opening.

Primm
15th July 2011, 09:24 AM
That's only a bit over 7 months. I'm excited!

kevinnugent
23rd July 2011, 08:37 PM
From the plans, there is a LOT of work to be done. I can wait until March.

the8thark
23rd July 2011, 09:27 PM
I can wait too. But it'll be an anxious wait. I so want to be there on opening day and fighting the crowds for a good glimpse of the store. I'll probably be the first Official Apple store I've ever been to. Have not yet been to any. Since I heard the announcement of this Brisbane store I decided to make this one my first. To experience the wow factor.

MacTime
3rd August 2011, 12:05 PM
You can now apply for a job at the 'Brisbane - Brisbane' store on the Apple Website under 'Stores accepting applications'.

Alec Fraser
3rd August 2011, 03:14 PM
I can wait too. But it'll be an anxious wait. I so want to be there on opening day and fighting the crowds for a good glimpse of the store. I'll probably be the first Official Apple store I've ever been to. Have not yet been to any. Since I heard the announcement of this Brisbane store I decided to make this one my first. To experience the wow factor.

Although I'm a regular at the Chermside store, I'm tempted to line up to see the city store...might have to call in sick on opening day ;)

the8thark
3rd August 2011, 06:28 PM
Although I'm a regular at the Chermside store, I'm tempted to line up to see the city store...might have to call in sick on opening day ;)
Yep :). We both will be in the line up for the grand opening. Should be fun.

kevinnugent
3rd August 2011, 08:35 PM
I'll be there. This could be a special store.

bawpcwpn
9th August 2011, 12:58 AM
Glad to see they are accepting applications. Would love to work at an Apple Store.

the8thark
23rd August 2011, 01:30 AM
Photo taken on Sunday of the site of the new Apple Store.
Taken by me.
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/3090/bris.jpg

knightcruiser
2nd September 2011, 08:49 PM
Window Open, maybe someone is painting and needs fresh air
http://i.imgur.com/ZYaod.jpg (http://imgur.com/ZYaod)

PrincessHayley_xo
4th September 2011, 07:42 PM
Oooh I saw it last time I was in Brisbane. As someone who is moving to Brisbane from Melbourne, it'll be great to be one up from Melbourne in something - CBD Apple store location :naughty:

the8thark
6th September 2011, 02:16 AM
Oooh I saw it last time I was in Brisbane. As someone who is moving to Brisbane from Melbourne, it'll be great to be one up from Melbourne in something - CBD Apple store location :naughty:
One up?

I've been to Melbourne and can list many things Brisbane has better. And the Melbourne people can list many things they have better then Brisbane.
Each has their pluses and minuses. Enough to say each is one up in many things from the other.

knightcruiser
6th September 2011, 07:47 AM
http://i.imgur.com/XpXRx.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/dKLgI.jpg

There is an apartment hotel on top of Mac Central. That side door is the Hotel Entrance, it is similar in appearance to the "Front Door". Either side is where the proposed Apple Store will be.

knightcruiser
6th September 2011, 05:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/sQGym.jpg

There may be an issue with signage. There was a Macarthur Chambers Sign, which has gone.

knightcruiser
7th September 2011, 09:24 AM
I spent a couple of hours onsite taking photos and generally looking at how the Apple Store will become part of the landscape.

1. Macarthur Central, Macarthur Apartments, Carpark and the BOQ Building appear to belong to a complex, bounded by Queen, Edward and Elizabeth Streets along with the GPO.

2. Macarthur Central has a strategy of attracting "High End" Retail, "High St" on their website, to the complex, Watch Retail does dominate along with Jewellery. An Apple Store is congruent with this path.

3. There is this jarring point of contact with the Old and the New parts, which is well concealed, but noticed, if you have a good look at how the structures are joined together.

4. Part of the Heritage Building is Hotel and Part is Retail under the Macarthur Central Area.

5. Macarthur Central is overtopped by the BOQ Building.

6. Shingle Inn Coffee and Cake Shop is one island of "Heritage" inside the Macarthur Central Retail which was transplanted from another site.

PrincessHayley_xo
15th September 2011, 10:02 AM
One up?

I've been to Melbourne and can list many things Brisbane has better. And the Melbourne people can list many things they have better then Brisbane.
Each has their pluses and minuses. Enough to say each is one up in many things from the other.

I was joking. I actually prefer Brisbane (hence why I'm moving there, besides a few other reasons) but it'll be nice to list something on my list on why Brisbane is better that's Apple related.

You're right though. I don't think either city is "better" it's just what you personally prefer.

the8thark
17th September 2011, 07:00 AM
I agree. Your joke was funny. And each place has their own unique charm.

mitchy181
2nd November 2011, 12:59 AM
A friend of mine said that his dad was on the law firm helping apple secure the old boarder's building. apple doesn't normally do refurbs rather start from scratch and have there famous glass panelling. i doubt its the macarthur building as it cannot be changed to glass as its heritage listed. we will just have to wait and see.

Alec Fraser
2nd November 2011, 05:31 AM
A friend of mine said that his dad was on the law firm helping apple secure the old boarder's building. apple doesn't normally do refurbs rather start from scratch and have there famous glass panelling. i doubt its the macarthur building as it cannot be changed to glass as its heritage listed. we will just have to wait and see.

a) it's Borders
b) have a look at the stores around the world, particularly those in Europe. There are plenty of stores in the same vein as the Macarthur St store. For example the Regent St store in London:
http://images.apple.com/uk/retail/images/store_photos/photo_regentstreet.jpg

Rogerthatv2
2nd November 2011, 05:40 AM

Then your friends Dad works for the same law firm as my wife and he may have is information wrong, from her info and the info posted above the above the location is spot on. I also believe that the best looking Apple stores in the world are some that Apple have transformed from an old heritage listed building into a new old meets new looks, ala London Regent St or my favourite, Paris Opera.

knightcruiser
4th November 2011, 07:35 PM

Might be useful to read the DA, there is a link on this thread. There is mention of removal of renos and restore to original.

countmacula
24th November 2011, 09:02 AM
Is there anyone in the know - with an update on this store?

knightcruiser
9th December 2011, 03:22 PM
Is there anyone in the know - with an update on this store?

I will be using the website for another task, thanks.

kevinnugent
12th January 2012, 09:08 PM
Anyone been cruising past lately?

entropy
12th January 2012, 09:30 PM
Walked past last week. Nothing to see. As in I couldn't tell if anything was going on.

spargo
13th January 2012, 09:22 AM
Walked past last week. Nothing to see. As in I couldn't tell if anything was going on.

The best view, if any, would be from the CommBank building offices, or the Tatts Club where you could look in through windows above the blacked out covers. I've recently been on both but forgot to look. Meh..

There is a service entry from the carpark and loading areas of the building, so you wouldn't likely see fit-out workers coming and going from the street.

Relax people. It will be finished, when it is finished.

thorntonp
13th January 2012, 12:30 PM
Due for completion in March.

My building manager also manages McArthur Central.

spargo
13th January 2012, 02:29 PM
Due for completion in March.

My building manager also manages McArthur Central.

Sounds about right based on approval date etc. Cheers.

entropy
13th January 2012, 06:23 PM
Just in time for the ipad3 launch!

michaeljohn.mac
18th January 2012, 05:34 PM
Indooroopilly Shopping Centre has just been approved for a $450 million expansion to include 120 new stores and a David Jones..with that kind of expansion there may be a possiblity that an Apple Store could be considered there too. Almost the same distance from CBD to Chermside as CBD to Indro.

Awesome news on the completion by March.

Can your friend confirm it to be Apple? or was this already established from the Plans submitted to Council?

entropy
18th January 2012, 06:27 PM
That is quite likely given the proximity to UQ etc.
anyway, Carindale refurbishment and expansion is well on its way to being finished and I seem to remember some mention (http://www.mactalk.com.au/19/93660-carindale-brisbane-slated-apple-store.html) of an Apple Store going in there, so I would expect Indrops would get one too.

sectioneight
31st January 2012, 10:50 AM
Slow news day over at BNE times
Brisbane Apple Store For CBD Expected To Open Soon | 2012 (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/technology/technology-news/apple-set-for-citys-core-20120130-1qp7p.html)

kevinnugent
9th February 2012, 07:28 PM
Who's the builder on this project? I see Kell and Rigby - the firm that built the Sydney Apple store has gone bust today.

kevinnugent
10th February 2012, 01:24 PM
Company crisis could delay Apple's arrival (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/business/company-crisis-could-delay-apples-arrival-20120210-1se9f.html)

raccoon70
20th March 2012, 08:29 AM
Has anyone heard any new news about this store?
I went pass on saturday and had look through one of the windows in the basement, it was just bare concrete walls and floor, so I'm not sure if any work is being done.

newbris
25th March 2012, 12:37 PM
Apologies if this has been already posted but over on SkyscraperCity Timothy has posted about ANOTHER apple store in Fortitude Valley's M&A development on Ann St:

He references this article on the builders website: Happy Valley: Retail and Commercial tenants swoop on M&A - Laing O'Rourke Australia (http://www.laingorourke.com.au/news/2012/happy-valley-retail-and-commercial-tenants-swoop-on-m-a)

SkyscraperCity post: #UC: M&A - McLachlan & Ann - 23st/78m, 13st/54m & 9st/28m (mixed use) - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=962238&page=7)

entropy
25th March 2012, 08:23 PM
Apple has started advertising for store managers, retail staff and geniuses (Genii?) etc. for both Brisbane City and Carindale (I presume as it just says SE Brisbane). Jobs were posted 23 March 2012.

This is awesome. One store a block from work, another 900m from home!

knightcruiser
7th April 2012, 04:40 PM
Any News ?

maclab
27th April 2012, 08:04 PM
Anyone heard any banging going on in there again?

knightcruiser
29th April 2012, 05:55 PM
This is a major Apple Store not only in Australia and ....

Biallystock
29th April 2012, 10:07 PM
If it was to be somewhere in Brisbane surely that would have to be somewhere that at least has the substations periodically under water?

That's legislated under Queensland planning isn't it?

yinyang
30th April 2012, 12:49 PM

lots of sanding machine type noises coming from the basement level last week.....

raccoon2
6th June 2012, 01:50 PM
Anyone have any news about the opening of this store?

knightcruiser
7th June 2012, 10:41 PM
Anyone have any news about the opening of this store?

There are some other forums which may help, with a google search, and ifoapplestore is normally very good with inside information.

Checking Apple for job offers is another source of news. One of the local newspapers tends to follow this as well.

raccoon2
8th June 2012, 01:42 PM
There are some other forums which may help, with a google search, and ifoapplestore is normally very good with inside information.

Checking Apple for job offers is another source of news. One of the local newspapers tends to follow this as well.

I've been watching the Whirlpool Forum on the Brisbane Store. They have been advertising Jobs for the Brisbane City store since October 2011.

PX125e
19th June 2012, 12:11 PM
It was going to be the MacArthur central building. The company performing the fit out went into receivership. If its ever finished it will be amazing. retrospective pressed metal ceilings, 3 floors, air ducting coming from the basement through the tables and that special glass staircase.

kevinnugent
9th July 2012, 09:38 AM
Any work proceeding, or have they mothballed the site?

entropy
9th July 2012, 07:57 PM
Apparently it's still happening, but later in the year. Carindale next month though.

entropy
8th August 2012, 05:47 PM
This article about the Carindale opening of the renovations (http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/east/final-stage-of-westfield-carindale-ready-to-go/story-fn8m0sve-1226445719058) on Thursday says "New retailers will include fashion stores David Lawrence, Leona Edmiston, Bardot and Factorie, with a giant Apple store pencilled in to open later this month."
A
I guess everyone will spend a week or two going ohh, Ahh at black panels covering up a large slab of the new area.

Alec Fraser
8th August 2012, 06:21 PM
I'm curious to see what "giant" equates to...surely Carindale can't house a George St sized store ;)

entropy
8th August 2012, 09:45 PM
Seeing as it is probably where Target used to be, it will depend on how much of the old Target store it takes up. All I know is that it is 900m from home. I would imagine it is the same size as Chermside though. The big one in Brisbane will be Macarthur Chambers in the city.

maclab
9th August 2012, 10:36 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48040751@N06/7746001750/

Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48040751@N06/7746001750/)

Target is now a hallway, the Carindale Apple store will be located up towards the new section on the ground floor next to Marcs

Rogerthatv2
16th August 2012, 07:24 PM
Picture already above, looked very close peaking in today...

James Croft
21st August 2012, 11:35 AM
Just got this in my email:

http://content.screencast.com/users/jwcroft/folders/Jing/media/35aade5e-96ac-4e60-98c9-32b8b83afa76/2012-08-21_1134.png

Opening this weekend!

Topher87
21st August 2012, 11:38 AM
I just got the email from apple saying it will be opening on saturday.

I walked past last night, and they had the doors wide open. With lots of work going on. All of the stock was on the shelves, and most of the tables were being put together.

I took a few photos, none of them really add anything, but I will upload anyway. Inside the store was so bright that it was difficult to capture a photo that showed anything important. Not to mention I took them while walking.

It just looks like a regular apple store, from what I could see, about the same size as the chermside apple store.

I have attached the best photo, I have a couple more New Apple Store Carindale (http://ucrackifix.com.au/2012/08/new-apple-store-at-carindale/), but honestly they aren't really worth looking at, you do not see much. Even this one isn't that great. I was worried if I stopped, and pulled out my phone they would just close the doors.

http://ucrackifix.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/IMG_18601-225x300.jpg

entropy
21st August 2012, 08:25 PM
Ahhh! 900m from home and I am away this weekend!

mouseless
21st August 2012, 09:35 PM
Sadly, the Carindale thread is closed. So here we are in downtown brisbane??

knightcruiser
31st August 2012, 07:12 PM
Any advice on the state of play with the CBD Store ?

knightcruiser
11th October 2012, 12:36 AM
Does anyone know what is happening ?

A significant amount of works has occurred and now not much ?

mouseless
12th October 2012, 01:25 PM
Brisbane is huge for Apple. Probably as much happens here as Sydney, truth be told (and no, that's all will be told).
The rest of that building is office space. This is a BIG job for Apple. The store is the least of it.

Anyone tracked how long the European building conversions took on IFO Apple Store?

entropy
12th October 2012, 07:06 PM
This whirlpool thread (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1683628) has some speculation that the site is abandoned. Doubt that is true.

rav3n
12th October 2012, 09:18 PM
Hope not, but its been very, very quiet in recent times.

dmeston
12th October 2012, 10:10 PM
I've also heard its abandoned in the CBD with preference and new site over at Newstead / Valley . Better design opportunities apparently.

knightcruiser
15th October 2012, 04:58 AM
This whirlpool thread (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1683628) has some speculation that the site is abandoned. Doubt that is true.

No activity for months apparently

kevinnugent
4th November 2012, 09:02 PM
Still nothing?

maclab
5th November 2012, 11:18 AM
Still nothing?

Apparently its still in progress, but not sure if its going to be ready by xmas .... I know some people who are in the know.

rav3n
6th November 2012, 04:25 PM
Apparently its still in progress, but not sure if its going to be ready by xmas .... I know some people who are in the know.

I too know someone in the know, and they tell me that apple have appointed SJ Higgins group to complete the building and they are on track for a late february-early march opening.

kevinnugent
6th November 2012, 07:36 PM
It will be an awesome store when completed.

knightcruiser
7th November 2012, 11:12 PM
Any updates on what is happening ?

Alec Fraser
8th November 2012, 09:57 AM
Any updates on what is happening ?

Latest update is 2 posts above yours...

knightcruiser
22nd November 2012, 09:13 AM

Apple has ceased building, at this stage not continuing.

Alec Fraser
22nd November 2012, 02:41 PM
Bummer :(

entropy
22nd November 2012, 02:45 PM
KC, that register article is from February when the original contractors went belly up. Are you saying you have had personal communications with someone in the know separately to the article the whirlpool people have linked to, or more desirably connected to the project?

I walked past and had a look around last Friday. The place was deadly quiet with black plastic a couple of feet back inside from the windows. It definitely did not look like anything was going on.

knightcruiser
22nd November 2012, 04:07 PM
KC, that register article is from February when the original contractors went belly up. Are you saying you have had personal communications with someone in the know separately to the article the whirlpool people have linked to, or more desirably connected to the project?

I walked past and had a look around last Friday. The place was deadly quiet with black plastic a couple of feet back inside from the windows. It definitely did not look like anything was going on.

November 22 http://whrl.pl/RdnYCj

APPLE ABANDONS MACARTHUR CENTRAL BRISBANE
After discussions with the building people, Apple has walked away from the MacCentral location. Reasons are to do with too many conditions on what Apple can do with the store site.
Brisbane City Council has serious issues as yet unknown with Apple and the use of the building which are unresolved.
Sources – Two separate people.

July 19 http://whrl.pl/RdfWEi

Onsite nearby advice is nothing happening nothing going in
Meeting onsite suits and clipboards from MacCentral with builder,
on Tuesday, 5 persons
Hoarding is in much better shape but still not up to spec for a logo and name,
however

Does not look good after July 19

Apple bitten as builder goes titsup ? The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/16/kellandrigby_stiff_apple/)

The Register article cites that Apple signed a 10 year lease

entropy
22nd November 2012, 05:20 PM
Ok, I though you might have had a separate verification. So this is based on Dave Lister's sources that he has posted on whirlpool.

knightcruiser
22nd November 2012, 05:55 PM
Ok, I though you might have had a separate verification. So this is based on Dave Lister's sources that he has posted on whirlpool.

September 27 http://whrl.pl/RdkroQ

Unofficial advice is that Apple has abandoned the premises and will not proceed any further, this is not regarded as a high reliability source however.

Does not appear to be the person who lacks credibility

entropy
22nd November 2012, 07:31 PM
Yeah maybe I am in denial:)

rav3n
22nd November 2012, 08:54 PM
November 22 http://whrl.pl/RdnYCj

APPLE ABANDONS MACARTHUR CENTRAL BRISBANE
After discussions with the building people, Apple has walked away from the MacCentral location. Reasons are to do with too many conditions on what Apple can do with the store site.
Brisbane City Council has serious issues as yet unknown with Apple and the use of the building which are unresolved.
Sources – Two separate people.

Yeah im going to call bullshit on this. If bcc had issues why would apple have even bothered to start building?

Peter Wells
5th December 2012, 05:37 PM
From Al on twitter

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2012/11/22/apple-abandons-australia-store-project/

:(

rav3n
5th December 2012, 08:15 PM
From Al on twitter

Apple Abandons Australia Store Project (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2012/11/22/apple-abandons-australia-store-project/)

:(

I refuse to believe this. Unrelated but excuse me while I go sit in a dark corner and cry.

knightcruiser
8th December 2012, 09:40 AM
I refuse to believe this. Unrelated but excuse me while I go sit in a dark corner and cry.

155 days with nothing going on.

http://whrl.pl/Rdo3Qq

kevinnugent
10th December 2012, 06:09 PM
This will be very sad if it doesn't go ahead.

knightcruiser
20th December 2012, 04:49 AM
Might be worthwhile waiting a little bit

knightcruiser
9th January 2013, 08:55 AM
This will be very sad if it doesn't go ahead.

http://whrl.pl/RdqM9a

http://whrl.pl/RdqFjD

This is drawing a longish bow but worth having a look at

Points to note

The store under consideration is the largest in the Macarthur Central with a long frontage
The store shares a common wall with the pre-existing site at Macarthur Chambers
Examination of the plans of construction shows that removal of common wall in parts around the support post is doable
Once this is done the basement then has a shopfront and is able to be fully used

Is this fantastic and fanciful ?

gilligan911
11th January 2013, 10:08 AM
Contractor Reveals Store Project’s Complexity (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2013/01/09/contractor-reveals-store-projects-complexity/)

No new information on the apparent cancellation of the project (the article just refers back to the same November article cited above), but at least a few interesting photos.

rav3n
11th January 2013, 11:01 AM
Given that it says "completion:June 2012" and the fact that apple have allowed them to actually put those images up, doesn't that give a pretty strong indication this has been abandoned? Shame too as it looks like they were pretty damn close to completion.

Alec Fraser
11th January 2013, 11:41 AM
That just makes me sad :( Would've been an awesome store!

knightcruiser
25th January 2013, 05:56 AM
That just makes me sad :( Would've been an awesome store!

There is something happening onsite at the Macarthur Chambers Apple Store Site.

Addenda : Further advice there is action happening onsite.

kevinnugent
26th January 2013, 10:55 PM
Don't keep us in suspense!!! :)

knightcruiser
27th January 2013, 05:41 AM
http://whrl.pl/RdrQLn

Don't keep us in suspense!!! :)

Based on the amount of work, this might be a clean up to walk away and sub let to WordStars or BookStars

Nothing indicates any work intensity that was happening six months ago

knightcruiser
8th February 2013, 11:23 AM
http://whrl.pl/RdtIBI

Bush Telegraph has the Salvatore Ferragamo store, Queens Plaza, being replaced with an Apple Store. About 50 meters from Macarthur Chambers.

rav3n
8th February 2013, 11:27 AM
^That bloke has got too much time on his hands.
(To clairfy I mean the guy on whirlpool, not knightcruiser)

Peter Wells
8th February 2013, 11:34 AM
^That bloke has got too much time on his hands.

I love that magnificent bastard. :)

knightcruiser
10th February 2013, 02:41 PM
http://whrl.pl/RdtLeX

More on Queens Plaza

Alec Fraser
10th February 2013, 04:48 PM
Is it me or is that thread devolving into random creepshots of QueenSt mall?

rav3n
10th February 2013, 05:11 PM
Pretty much. Although I doubt Apple would move into QueenSt.

MrJesseRoss
10th February 2013, 06:25 PM
How did you manage to post a URL that didn't get recognised and turned into a useable link?

Edit: Oh I see. Because you changed it to purple (???)

knightcruiser
20th February 2013, 05:42 AM
How did you manage to post a URL that didn't get recognised and turned into a useable link?

Edit: Oh I see. Because you changed it to purple (???)

SkyscraperCity - View Single Post - #U/C: Macarthur Chambers Renovation (Apple Store Brisbane) (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=100434663&postcount=303)

Bit bare and open at present

tibook
14th April 2013, 07:02 AM
It would appear that they may have to re-commence work on this site

See the story across @ Appleinsider

Australian court orders Apple must complete retail space construction (http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/04/13/australian-court-orders-apple-must-complete-retail-space-construction)

Maybe theres hope yet :)

rav3n
14th April 2013, 10:03 PM
Doubt it. If i'm reading things right the courts have simply rulled that Apple must bring the store into a reasonable state whereby a tenant could move in, which I assume means Apple have left the building in a rather shitty state. If Apple were moving in here, they'd probably be here by now.

Orestes
15th April 2013, 12:27 AM
It just means that in order to leave their tenancy agreement they have to restore the store to some kind of condition that another client could actually move in. As I remember correctly they knocked out a couple of walls and removed the elevators that were in there as they were going to fit a trademark Apple more contemporary staircase. As it is no tenant could use the property without spending a lot of money themselves and the courts have ruled its not good enough.

It doesn't mean that it has to be returned to a standard Apple would be happy with, it just means that the building has to be returned to a usable retail space so as another client can use the space without spending a ridiculous amount of money completing the fit out themselves from what is a mess of a construction site.

knightcruiser
22nd May 2013, 09:06 AM
It just means that in order to leave their tenancy agreement they have to restore the store to some kind of condition that another client could actually move in.
It doesn't mean that it has to be returned to a standard Apple would be happy with, it just means that the building has to be returned to a usable retail space so as another client can use the space without spending a ridiculous amount of money completing the fit out themselves from what is a mess of a construction site.

Any advice on the progress of the make good ?

Cheers

KC

entropy
22nd May 2013, 08:29 PM
latest on the whirlpool thread (http://whrl.pl/RdAYCf)

the8thark
3rd July 2013, 12:39 PM
Does anyone know if this will actually go ahead or not? Cause it's been so long, and that building has been empty for all this time. I read the above link and it is all speculation. No real hard evidence as to whether Brisbane will get an Apple store. I think it'd be cool if we did. But hard to see it happening at the moment, cant find any actual evidence of work underway for it.

Does anyone else have any more info or opinions on this?

knightcruiser
3rd July 2013, 10:48 PM
Does anyone know if this will actually go ahead or not? Cause it's been so long, and that building has been empty for all this time. I read the above link and it is all speculation. No real hard evidence as to whether Brisbane will get an Apple store. I think it'd be cool if we did. But hard to see it happening at the moment, cant find any actual evidence of work underway for it.

Does anyone else have any more info or opinions on this?

Job Ads

derriere1111
4th July 2013, 11:19 AM
Job Ads

These job ads:

Apple - Jobs at Apple - Retail (au) (http://www.apple.com/jobs/au/retail.html)

New stores, new opportunities:

Rundle Place
Adelaide, SA
Highpoint
Melbourne, VIC
Brisbane
Brisbane, QLD

Alec Fraser
4th July 2013, 11:30 AM
That looks promising!

knightcruiser
5th July 2013, 04:07 PM
That looks promising!

Last known interior status http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=100434663&postcount=303

Alec Fraser
5th July 2013, 06:02 PM
Hmmm...that looks less promising...

Edit: although it was from February, so maybe there's still hope.

knightcruiser
11th August 2013, 06:33 AM
Apple Still Adverts for Staff in Brisbane

Rogerthatv2
12th August 2013, 04:25 PM
That could also be for Westfield Garden City, word in the street is that there is one opening there with the redevelopment. Garden City is soon to be Qld's largest shopping centre once the 400 million upgrade is complete and I have it from a very good, close source that Apple will be part of the action.

entropy
13th August 2013, 10:34 AM
Really? garden city is only just down the road from Carindale. I mean, it would be great to live in between two Apple stores, but I would think if you were going suburban malls, indooroopilly would be a very, very important centre, being out to the so far un serviced west, and near UQ.

bennyling
15th August 2013, 08:48 AM
Latest from the front:

Anyone seen any other source?

Alec Fraser
15th August 2013, 12:39 PM
Nice find Benny!

knightcruiser
22nd August 2013, 06:24 PM
Latest from the front:

Anyone seen any other source?

Built is the Builder

entropy
31st August 2013, 06:06 PM
Brisbane Apple Store construction back on track after delays and rumors of cancellation (http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/159285/brisbane-apple-store-construction-back-on-track-after-delays-and-rumors-of-cancellation)

DiGiTaLJaM
2nd September 2013, 10:03 PM
I've heard it will open at the MacArthur Chambers site - the old Dymocks store - cnr Queen St & Edward St.

Can confirm this is true as the freight company I work for are doing deliveries there this week.

knightcruiser
4th October 2013, 05:14 AM
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/digital-life/brisbane-apple-store-tipped-for-macarthur-central-20131003-2ux4k.html

It's Brisbane's worst-kept retail secret – and it's one step closer to reality.
Apple is yet to confirm it will open its first central business district store in the historic Macarthur Central complex, but industry sources widely believe it will be operational before Christmas.
Construction has begun on the prime, tri-level site on the corner of Edward and Queen streets, which was once home to a Dymocks bookstore and has been vacant since June 2012.
The tech giant remains notoriously tight-lipped on future retail sites and inquiries to its media team went unanswered on Thursday.

The company often waits until just days before an opening to confirm a new store is its own.
The site's owner, the Precision Group, was also contacted for comment.
Speculation has been rife the site would be transformed into the long-awaited tech space since development plans were submitted to Brisbane City Council in April 2012 and approved two months later.
A council spokesman said on Thursday the plans did not name Apple as the tenant.
Plans for the fit-out of the store, by Geyer Architects, show the interior escalators will be replaced by a large staircase

All good

kevinnugent
12th October 2013, 09:58 AM
Any further hints showing up?

rav3n
12th October 2013, 10:07 AM
Updated blueprints for the site from August, certainly looks like an Apple store.
http://www.ifoapplestore.com/photos/macarthur-chambers_plan-2013_big.gif

Alec Fraser
12th October 2013, 06:08 PM
The facade is now all covered up with room to work behind it, so it looks like they've moved on to working on the externals.

the8thark
20th October 2013, 05:29 PM
The facade is now all covered up with room to work behind it, so it looks like they've moved on to working on the externals.

I can agree with this. I saw this today in person. Black covering then scaffolding then one story of a black wood screen covering it all up.

susiegb
21st October 2013, 09:52 AM
Woohoo!! It'd be nice if it was open in time for the new iPad!!

knightcruiser
2nd November 2013, 09:48 AM
Macarthur Central is now placing bans on persons taking photos of the project.

Steeley
2nd November 2013, 12:48 PM
Macarthur Central is now placing bans on persons taking photos of the project.

lol good luck with that; so long as they're not on the premises there's sfa they can do to stop people taking photos

knightcruiser
2nd November 2013, 02:04 PM
lol good luck with that; so long as they're not on the premises there's sfa they can do to stop people taking photos

Well, anyone who walks by can take photos and put them online ...

However Macarthur Central may not be happy about this

iMic
5th November 2013, 06:03 PM
MacRumors went live with this story about an hour ago:

Apple Begins Hiring for First Retail Store in Brisbane, Australia - Mac Rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/05/apple-begins-hiring-for-first-retail-store-in-brisbane-australia/)

knightcruiser
3rd December 2013, 05:13 PM
http://i.imgur.com/NsraWCD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ceCqqut.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/BiwVhj0.jpg

Latest Photos

Apple Store Brisbane Night Photo by aliciasbf | Photobucket (http://s254.photobucket.com/user/aliciasbf/media/Apple%20Brisbane%209th%20November/AppleBrisbaneNight_zps15f82d27.jpg.html)

Thank you to the Whirlpool Thread

knightcruiser
7th December 2013, 06:56 AM
Finally appears near completion - Three dates for opening tossed around - Mid December soon - Early Mid January - 2rd Quarter 2014

knightcruiser
23rd December 2013, 04:10 AM
Tipping 10/11 Jan for an opening. Plenty of clear air and Xmas Sales NYs Eve out of the way. Bored hoards of persons running out things to do. Returning people from the Xmas Break....

10/11 January is best guess from the whirlpool site at present. Construction appears to have ended.

Brisbane CBD Apple store - Shops - Apple (http://whrl.pl/RdOgC7)

Latest pix from Skyscraper City

435 (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=109941591&postcount=435)

kerr
31st December 2013, 02:26 AM
Yep, couple weeks

http://m.brisbanetimes.com.au/technology/technology-news/macarthur-chambers-apple-store-confirmed-20131230-302bg.html

http://9to5mac.com/2013/12/29/apple-signage-says-new-flagship-brisbane-australia-store-opening-soon/

knightcruiser
31st December 2013, 03:17 AM
SkyscraperCity - View Single Post - #U/C: Macarthur Chambers Renovation (Apple Store Brisbane) (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=110107946&postcount=438)

The good people from skyscrapercity

knightcruiser
4th January 2014, 04:03 PM
First known mention of Dymocks as a suitable site

Apple Store Chermside - Shops - Apple (http://whrl.pl/Rb4PKA)

Now the present Apple Store in waiting

Brave soul making the call

Brisbane CBD Apple store - Shops - Apple (http://whrl.pl/RdO3Xj)

Tejas
11th January 2014, 12:28 AM
store will be open by 18/1

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting (http://tinypic.com/r/20zqvdy/5)

knightcruiser
11th January 2014, 02:57 AM
Sign now has Opening 18 January but https://www.apple.com/au/retail/brisbane/
https://www.apple.com/au/retail/storelist/

mouseless
11th January 2014, 06:39 PM
store will be open by 18/1

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting (http://tinypic.com/r/20zqvdy/5)

They don't take bookings for opening day. Too much other stuff going on. In the past, we've been able to walk up to the Genius bar on opening day, just no bookings.

rss123
15th January 2014, 09:12 AM
imgur: the simple image sharer (http://imgur.com/a/SCn8P)

zbaron
17th January 2014, 10:02 AM
It's open!

LCGuy
17th January 2014, 11:53 AM
pixplzthx :D

Alec Fraser
19th January 2014, 06:42 PM
pixplzthx :D

Brisbane's MacArthur Chambers Apple Store Unveiled: Exclusive Images - Reckoner (http://reckoner.com.au/2014/01/brisbanes-macarthur-chambers-apple-store-unveiled-exclusive-images/)

LCGuy
19th January 2014, 07:10 PM
Its beautiful. :o Really looking forward to seeing it next time I'm in Brizzy!

simonm
19th January 2014, 09:55 PM
I was going to say "pics or it didn't happen" but they were graciously provided...and beautiful too!

knightcruiser
20th January 2014, 03:18 PM
I was going to say "pics or it didn't happen" but they were graciously provided...and beautiful too!

Nice to see some pics of the Melbourne Apple Store when it happens :D