PDA

View Full Version : iPad2 early impressions!

aero_nz
25th March 2011, 11:00 PM
Post your early impressions here.

For me I love the new form, much more manageable with one hand.
Safari is significantly faster (note I never used a ipad1 on 4.3).
Cameras are not good from what I've seen so far.
Great to have an iPad back.

Looking forward to seeing how the extra horsepower effects multi tasking etc.

This was of course typed on my ipad2 :)

Dutch H
25th March 2011, 11:36 PM
Have to wait 3 weeks...

Would love to hear how people hook an iPod/iPhone dock stereo to their iPad??? A female 30-pin dock connector to a male 30-pin dock connector?

Fedgrub
25th March 2011, 11:44 PM
Really love it. Pretty much agree with the initial post.

braex27
26th March 2011, 01:09 AM
I have had it now for about six hours, and I think it's brilliant. This is my first iPad - it's just so smooth - I've uploaded my e-readers, and my e-books - some apps - a few games - I am set!!!!

Echo63
26th March 2011, 03:29 AM
Have to wait 3 weeks...

Would love to hear how people hook an iPod/iPhone dock stereo to their iPad??? A female 30-pin dock connector to a male 30-pin dock connector?
I have an extrememac iPod dock that will take my ipad1 quite happily, I do need to get one of those cables though, for my iPhone in an otter box case

Jinkst
26th March 2011, 04:45 AM
I'm loving it. Can definitely tell there has been a speed boost which is great. Feels lighter and easier to hold. Home sharing works a treat which was a biggie for me. Smart cover is useful too. Haven't tried it with my iPad first gen dock yet but will today at some stage. If it doesn't fit it's not that hard getting a new one so no drama there.

Overall I'm quite impressed with the upgrade from my first gen :)

Joey1983
26th March 2011, 06:17 AM
New form factor is great, much easier to hold and feels so thin.
Speed bump is awesome, Safari's a lot better (more than one tab in memory at once yay!) and even The Daily almost feels usable now...

Smart covers are interesting, still getting used to it but every now and then it gets a bit annoying and I just take it off. Luckily they come off and back on very easily so no big deal.

Over all very happy, worth the 7hr wait.

iphonedev
26th March 2011, 07:12 AM
I am super excited with my iPad 2

Loving it

Quick qn: have you guys put a protective film or something for the back? Is that available in Chaddy? I bought the smart cover but I really want the back to be free from scratch

Cheers guys

Mac Monk
26th March 2011, 07:58 AM
Awwwwwesome!

- I think the outside dimensions are slightly smaller which is how the outer holding area has been reduced ( screen stays the same obviously), but I sold my old one so can't do a measure, perhaps someone else can. It looks smaller in my hard candy case.
- slick to hold
- black is passť, white is the new black.
- bristling fast
- god it's good to have my baby back.

kristincarol
26th March 2011, 08:18 AM
I love love love my new iPad 2. And I've just now confirmed that playing Angry Birds on it when using the HDMI adapter to connect to big screen tv is as fun as I expected :)

Had a bit if a play with some Real Racing HD and Asphalt 6 HD as well and those games were super awesome on the big screen tv as well

Stez
26th March 2011, 08:28 AM
I love love love my new iPad 2. And I've just now confirmed that playing Angry Birds on it when using the HDMI adapter to connect to big screen tv is as fun as I expected :)

Had a bit if a play with some Real Racing HD and Asphalt 6 HD as well and those games were super awesome on the big screen tv as well

If that's super awesome, what would you call this? 'Real Racing 2 HD' for iPad 2 to Gain 1080p Video Out With Dual Displays - Mac Rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/25/real-racing-2-hd-for-ipad-2-to-gain-1080p-video-out-with-dual-displays/)

If other games start to pick this up, iPad will be the ultimate portable console.

aero_nz
26th March 2011, 09:52 AM
Just been playing Real Racing 2 HD the graphics are awesome and the controls seem much more fluid (not sure if it's ipad2 Gyro or the new app version)

Also can't say enough about the form change. It may only be slightly lighter and thinner but it makes a big difference to holding in one hand for me it's now comfortable!

Jinkst
26th March 2011, 09:58 AM
I knew I forgot to buy something yesterday! Will def have to pick up a HDMI adapter soon to get some of the stuff going on my TV...

LithgowLights
26th March 2011, 10:35 AM
Well I had to wait till I got home as the staff member who served me too the unit, said it was activated & handed to back to me in the box. Got to the car & guess what - Not fracking activated. I was NOT a happy camper during the 3hr trip home (Which did include Hogs Breath at St Mary's which did help a bit). Lined up at 4am, got home at 10pm and only then could I play with the iPad 2.

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 AM ----------

Have to wait 3 weeks...

My son does that with his iPhone as the dock on his stereo wont take a phone in a case at all. I just confirmed that it will also charge the iPad and iPad 2 as well, plus play music through the stereo. I guess its just a matter of weather the dock can supply the current to charge the iPad compared to an iPhone or iPod

AT home I have 8 iOS devices to plug into one PC (Only sons iPhone is synced to another PC), and I just have 4 Apple cables running from the back of the PC onto the desk - first come first served/charged/synced here lol

aero_nz
26th March 2011, 12:44 PM

How are you plugging into the tv, with a really long hdmi cable?

kristincarol
26th March 2011, 12:57 PM
How are you plugging into the tv, with a really long hdmi cable?

Yep, longer HDMI cable to reach to the other side of the room. Luckily the living room isn't that bit in my apartment so a 3m cable is enough

samanjj
26th March 2011, 02:06 PM
I was almost not able to get the iPad model I wanted. After 3 lines I was finally able to get one. Unfortunately i was not able to get one for my wife. I got all the accessories bar the dock. I dont really think that's necessary.

It's amazing. I am loving it. Also played the first real racing and have already been impressed. Very fun. We even had two iPad 1s and I can't really feel this is a version 2. The screen is also better. The hdmi out quality is amazing.

Stav64
26th March 2011, 04:23 PM
Im struggling to download the 4.3.2 ios update :S So slow i dont know if its me or the apple server?

James
26th March 2011, 04:43 PM
Im struggling to download the 4.3.2 ios update :S So slow i dont know if its me or the apple server?

Yup, same here. Painfully slow.

It must be all the new iPad2 owners busily updating their new babies. Like me.

;)

Stav64
26th March 2011, 05:47 PM
Download from iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download (http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/)

the instructions are at the top of the page, worked heaps better for me

purana
26th March 2011, 09:12 PM
Wow the browser is so bloody fast. Highly impressed. Great little device.

lexy101
26th March 2011, 09:21 PM
I love love love it!!!! It's so fast and responsive
I have downloaded a few Simpsons eps from iTunes, and not a problem at all, played flawlessly without any sticking! Safari and gmail load very quickly (3G telstra)

Can't fault it at this stage!

This is my first iPad, and it was worth the wait!!!!!

I love the smart cover too, a great innovation!! Now I just need a back protector!

Lewie
26th March 2011, 09:29 PM
Loving mine, glad i held off buying a ipad1.. Well worth the wait!
I'm hoping a hard shell case becomes available that still allows the smart cover to be used, has anyone heard of anything?

faberman@mac.com
26th March 2011, 09:39 PM
I just discovered something odd, when I place my iPad 2 on my bed, in certain places it turns itself off!

I apparently have magnets in the mattress cover, of which I knew nothing about previously, this made me lol

purana
26th March 2011, 09:42 PM
Loving mine, glad i held off buying a ipad1.. Well worth the wait!
I'm hoping a hard shell case becomes available that still allows the smart cover to be used, has anyone heard of anything?

Wallee v2 looks the goods.
http://www.thewallee.com/products/wallee-ipad-2-case (http://http://www.thewallee.com/products/wallee-ipad-2-case)

kevinnugent
26th March 2011, 10:43 PM
Wallee v2 looks the goods.
http://www.thewallee.com/products/wallee-ipad-2-case (http://http://www.thewallee.com/products/wallee-ipad-2-case)

Wow, what a great piece of simple design. And Australian! :) Noice!

grorr76
27th March 2011, 03:00 AM
I had a play with an ipad 2 today in london here and I have to say. There is no way enough there to want to move from the first one to ipad 2 . Also I dont think the 2nd ipad feels nearly as solid and well made as the first one. The buttons especially and the back feels plasticy in my opinion I dont think its the same material as the first one. Definitely wait for the 3rd iteration. Also note there were no lines here and stocks seem plentiful I saw stock in several department stores to.

pcbang
27th March 2011, 07:42 AM
grorr76,
was that the store in covern gardens?? ( Spell check )i was in the Uk at xmas and went to the mac store there.

I also believe that the new ipad for me doesnt warrant an upgrade. it may be fast and better for HD, but i only use the interenet on the ipad and use it to store my pics..
So i think ill wait for ipad 3 next year:) :) :)

dannyhilton
27th March 2011, 10:15 AM
I just discovered something odd, when I place my iPad 2 on my bed, in certain places it turns itself off!

Exactly the same thing was happening to me! Bloody Bio-Magnetic made me think I had a dodgy iPad.

Love it. Faster, lighter (can only just notice the difference) and so much thinner. The only downside is the buttons, dock connectors and things like that can be a bit of a pain because of the sexy curved back. But everything else is perfect. I love the white...

LeeLee
27th March 2011, 10:21 AM
loving it, the HDMI out adapter is an absolute must!
playing angry birds - or anything for that matter on 52 inches of screen is a wondrous experience :D

not overly fond of the smart cover as it leaves the back exposed, I noticed yesterday night a few mates came over and we all sat outside drinking beer and playing with our ipads (sad i know)
one guy turned his around on the table and it made the most delightful crunching sound and is now pretty scratched up on the back!
I will most definitely be looking for a full case option!

kristincarol
27th March 2011, 12:47 PM
loving it, the HDMI out adapter is an absolute must!
playing angry birds - or anything for that matter on 52 inches of screen is a wondrous experience :D

First thing I did with the HDMI adapter was play Angry Birds :D All the racing games (Real Racing HD, Real Racing 2 HD, Asphalt 6 HD, etc) are pretty awesome on a big screen tv as well :)

grorr76
27th March 2011, 08:16 PM
grorr76,
was that the store in covern gardens?? ( Spell check )i was in the Uk at xmas and went to the mac store there.

I also believe that the new ipad for me doesnt warrant an upgrade. it may be fast and better for HD, but i only use the interenet on the ipad and use it to store my pics..
So i think ill wait for ipad 3 next year:) :) :)

I was at the regent street store. The covent garden one is very special

LeeLee
28th March 2011, 09:36 AM
First thing I did with the HDMI adapter was play Angry Birds :D All the racing games (Real Racing HD, Real Racing 2 HD, Asphalt 6 HD, etc) are pretty awesome on a big screen tv as well :)

Ok ypu convinced me! I'm going to play a racing game right now hahaha