PDA

View Full Version : Wireless not working-help?

youngin
25th March 2011, 11:00 PM
Hey guys,

this has been happening for a few weeks now.. my MBP 10.5.8 is abour 2 years old now, never had any issues till recently.

Started by dropping internet connection, i used to just turn the Airpont ON/OFF and it was ok. Then once, a week or so ago it wouldn't connect AT ALL, no matter what i did. Restarted the comp, it worked for a while and dropped out again. Last time around i had to delete the Airport completelly (this was after i finally decided to use a DSL cable, and neither the ISP nor NETGEAR support staff could help me configure the comp). After i created a new Airport connection it was working for about week or so until tonight, not it won't connect via Airport no matter what i do.

Weird thing is while the browser (Safari) tells me that i'm not connected to the internet, the Airport tells me it's connected to my network with full reception.

No idea what to do...

Any suggestions??

Many thanks! :)

glacierdave
26th March 2011, 07:38 AM
I'd suggest working through some diagnostic testing to work out exactly what type of problem you're dealing with.

Possible problems:
- Airport on your MBP is faulty
- Configurations for your Airport are faulty
- Interference from other stuff nearby (other wireless networks, cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, etc)
- Router is faulty
- Internet connection is faulty

Until you know which one(s) of these is relevant it's a little difficult to know what to do next.

MacTalk - Networks and You - Part 4: Basic Troubleshooting (http://www.mactalk.com.au/content/networks-you-part-4-basic-troubleshooting-1361/)

This link is for some basic network troubleshooting, but you might also get value from some of the other articles in the series in terms of narrowing down the type of problem.

David

youngin
26th March 2011, 02:14 PM
I'd suggest working through some diagnostic testing to work out exactly what type of problem you're dealing with.

Possible problems:
- Airport on your MBP is faulty
- Configurations for your Airport are faulty
- Interference from other stuff nearby (other wireless networks, cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, etc)
- Router is faulty
- Internet connection is faulty

Until you know which one(s) of these is relevant it's a little difficult to know what to do next.

MacTalk - Networks and You - Part 4: Basic Troubleshooting (http://www.mactalk.com.au/content/networks-you-part-4-basic-troubleshooting-1361/)

This link is for some basic network troubleshooting, but you might also get value from some of the other articles in the series in terms of narrowing down the type of problem.

David

hey David,

well i've narrowed it down a little..

Possible problems:
- Airport on your MBP is faulty- possible, as i've deleted and re-installed the airport a few times, still nothing
- Configurations for your Airport are faulty- shouldn't be as i've configured it with the ISP support staff, also it worked fine for ages
- Interference from other stuff nearby (other wireless networks, cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, etc)- doubtful for a number of reasons, have been using the same phones, and microwave ovens for years, also my house is somewhat isolated from other properties so no network interference (altho that has never been an issue at the old address
- Router is faulty- the other computer in the house (PC) is connected without issues
- Internet connection is faulty-as above

i suppose the only thing i have left to do is try and trouble shoot it.. i get a little mesage in network connections saying "Airport has a self assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet". Pretty sure it says something along the lines of "connected" when it's working properly..

cheers

glacierdave
26th March 2011, 05:13 PM
A self-assigned IP address is what happens when your computer can't get an IP address from somewhere else so assigns one of it's own.

What that means is that your Airport couldn't reach the router.

Personally, I'd start by connecting your Mac via ethernet cable instead of wi-fi and see if it all works.

If it does then the underlying networking on your Mac is basically fine and, most likely, so is the underlying network configs on your router.

That still leaves the wireless link - it can fail for all sorts of reasons. Interference is one of the reasons. A configuration issue is another. Perhaps the router just went faulty and isn't working properly any more (it does happen).

Basically, you need to lock down exactly which bit is causing the problem because that then tells you where you have to look for a solution.

Trying ethernet connectivity by-passes Wi-Fi and, therefore, tells you something about the problem.

If you have a spare router, try using that instead - if everything works fine with that and not with the other then you have a router problem.

You can also try creating a new user profile and seeing if it also has problems with Wi-Fi - that'll help you figure out what type of computer-related issue you've got (if it's a computer issue at all).

David

youngin
26th March 2011, 10:53 PM
A self-assigned IP address is what happens when your computer can't get an IP address from somewhere else so assigns one of it's own.

What that means is that your Airport couldn't reach the router.

Personally, I'd start by connecting your Mac via ethernet cable instead of wi-fi and see if it all works.

If it does then the underlying networking on your Mac is basically fine and, most likely, so is the underlying network configs on your router.

That still leaves the wireless link - it can fail for all sorts of reasons. Interference is one of the reasons. A configuration issue is another. Perhaps the router just went faulty and isn't working properly any more (it does happen).

Basically, you need to lock down exactly which bit is causing the problem because that then tells you where you have to look for a solution.

Trying ethernet connectivity by-passes Wi-Fi and, therefore, tells you something about the problem.

If you have a spare router, try using that instead - if everything works fine with that and not with the other then you have a router problem.

You can also try creating a new user profile and seeing if it also has problems with Wi-Fi - that'll help you figure out what type of computer-related issue you've got (if it's a computer issue at all).

David

ohh sorry i forgot to say that ethernet cable works fine, i'm typing this with it connected. Don't think anything is wrong with IP address or modem/router, this Mac is connected via cable and the other laptop is connected wirelessly.

I've tried everything within my Mac wisdom to work out what's wrong with the Airport connection but i'm getting nowhere.

Might be worth taking it to Apple store...?

cheers

glacierdave
27th March 2011, 09:01 AM
To check:

- This computer, connected via cable, everything works fine.
- Another computer, connected via Wi-Fi, everything works fine.

Is this correct?

Are the locations of the two computers markedly different? i.e. the one that always works is always in one location and the one that fails is somewhere else entirely?

If not, then it looks like you're dealing with a fault on your Mac.

Try booting from your install DVD and connecting to Wi-Fi from there. See if it works (you'll have access to Network Utility from the install DVD so you can do testing).

If you've got an external hard drive that's more or less spare try installing a fresh operating system on it for your Mac. Boot from it and see if you still have Wi-Fi issues.

If both (or either) of these tests shows no problems then you're likely to be dealing with some kind of software issue - either some application that's running or some network configuration issue.

If these tests also fail then it's more likely to be a hardware fault.

David

youngin
27th March 2011, 09:01 PM
To check:

- This computer, connected via cable, everything works fine.
- Another computer, connected via Wi-Fi, everything works fine.

Is this correct?

Are the locations of the two computers markedly different? i.e. the one that always works is always in one location and the one that fails is somewhere else entirely?

If not, then it looks like you're dealing with a fault on your Mac.

Try booting from your install DVD and connecting to Wi-Fi from there. See if it works (you'll have access to Network Utility from the install DVD so you can do testing).

If you've got an external hard drive that's more or less spare try installing a fresh operating system on it for your Mac. Boot from it and see if you still have Wi-Fi issues.

If both (or either) of these tests shows no problems then you're likely to be dealing with some kind of software issue - either some application that's running or some network configuration issue.

If these tests also fail then it's more likely to be a hardware fault.

David

yep that's spot on. the other comp is a laptop and works fine everywhere, my mac used to fine anywhere in the house too.

i don't have an external HD so i guess i'll try booting it from the CD, altho i've never tried that before.

thanks!

Mac Monk
28th March 2011, 11:32 AM
If you get the chance you can try taking the laptop to a wireless cafe and see if airport works there. That will eliminate software and computer faults if it works.

youngin
28th March 2011, 05:54 PM
If you get the chance you can try taking the laptop to a wireless cafe and see if airport works there. That will eliminate software and computer faults if it works.

yeah i've been meaning to do that, time's been an issue ;)

youngin
4th April 2011, 09:41 PM
well i'm currenty at mates house typing this from my computer, so it's deffinitelly not a computer fault.. whew!

not to work out why the hell it won't connect to my home network! :mad:

youngin
27th April 2011, 07:57 PM
Seems like this issue of mine won't go away.. after i typed the previous post i connected back to my home network and it worked fine for some time.. until today!:mad:

i am curious as to what people think? is it worth it taking it to a mac store? is there a way to scan the computer for bugs? it really is the computer issue

any help/advice appreciated

Steve_D
27th April 2011, 08:19 PM
Weird thing is while the browser (Safari) tells me that i'm not connected to the internet, the Airport tells me it's connected to my network with full reception.

Ok im going to go out on a limb here and suggest that its not your Mac. As you have proven that it will work on other networks.

But suggest that its either your network cable that connects your modem to your Airport is buggered. (may have been snagged on something or just wear over time).

OR

Your modem itself is on its way out.

I have dealt with similar issues in the past where the Netgears drop network connections on just one port. This then results in the network dropping out but the airport still giving a clean signal to the Mac. You will notice that when it does this the airports light will flash orange.

Try change the network port on the back of your modem (im guessing that its a 4 port) and see if that fixes the issue, it will help if you reboot also so to get a clean base to start, ie no bung code left behind.

If this turns out to be the problem it will be the matter of replacing the modem with a new one.

See how that goes and let us know if it worked.

youngin
1st May 2011, 02:55 PM
Ok im going to go out on a limb here and suggest that its not your Mac. As you have proven that it will work on other networks.

But suggest that its either your network cable that connects your modem to your Airport is buggered. (may have been snagged on something or just wear over time).

OR

Your modem itself is on its way out.

I have dealt with similar issues in the past where the Netgears drop network connections on just one port. This then results in the network dropping out but the airport still giving a clean signal to the Mac. You will notice that when it does this the airports light will flash orange.

Try change the network port on the back of your modem (im guessing that its a 4 port) and see if that fixes the issue, it will help if you reboot also so to get a clean base to start, ie no bung code left behind.

If this turns out to be the problem it will be the matter of replacing the modem with a new one.

See how that goes and let us know if it worked.

Nah it's connected wirelessly mate, i have another computer at home that's using wireless internet without any problems. As for changing the ports i don't see how that will help the wireless issue? The cable IS plugged into port 4 you're right, and then it's plugged into my Mac, that's working fine. It's how I'm typing this. IT's when i disconnect the cable and try connect wirelessly that it stuffs up.. :confused:

idiesel
1st May 2011, 06:54 PM
Have you tried changing the wifi channel of your base station? You might be getting interference from nearby wi-fi of your neighbours who are all probably on default channel. That band might be getting to much interference because of the traffic.

youngin
1st May 2011, 11:37 PM
Have you tried changing the wifi channel of your base station? You might be getting interference from nearby wi-fi of your neighbours who are all probably on default channel. That band might be getting to much interference because of the traffic.

No actually i haven't, thanks for the suggestion. :)

Abaddon
2nd May 2011, 12:45 PM
As a matter of interest what sort of wireless network is your router running? Is it an 802.11g or n? I was running an old netgear g router and my macbook's wireless connection got progressively worse, as more and more networks came online in the neighbourhood. I switched to an n router and haven't had a problem since. I put it down to the macbook being optimised to work on an n network rather than a g network, as like you we had other laptops that ran without problems.

youngin
2nd May 2011, 07:57 PM
As a matter of interest what sort of wireless network is your router running? Is it an 802.11g or n? I was running an old netgear g router and my macbook's wireless connection got progressively worse, as more and more networks came online in the neighbourhood. I switched to an n router and haven't had a problem since. I put it down to the macbook being optimised to work on an n network rather than a g network, as like you we had other laptops that ran without problems.

i don't really know how to find that..?

i ended up calling apple support and the bloke got me to empty all the caches and create a new network location ( i also changed the router channel). that seemed to do the trick, i am now connected wirelessly again (we'll see for how long........)

idiesel
2nd May 2011, 10:43 PM
As a matter of interest what sort of wireless network is your router running? Is it an 802.11g or n? I was running an old netgear g router and my macbook's wireless connection got progressively worse, as more and more networks came online in the neighbourhood. I switched to an n router and haven't had a problem since. I put it down to the macbook being optimised to work on an n network rather than a g network, as like you we had other laptops that ran without problems.Or if you had switched to a different channel you would have had a similar result - minus the extra speed ;p

Abaddon
2nd May 2011, 11:42 PM
Or if you had switched to a different channel you would have had a similar result - minus the extra speed ;p

:D Dammit why didn't I think of that :p

Seriously I wasn't exaggerating when I said EVERYONE in the neighbourhood. ;)

idiesel
3rd May 2011, 09:38 PM
I know what you mean. I had to switch channels when my iMac was dropping out all the time. I took my laptop for a walk around the house and picked up over 10 WiFis - and this is in residential Sydney, not some apartment block.

youngin
4th May 2011, 12:10 AM
I know what you mean. I had to switch channels when my iMac was dropping out all the time. I took my laptop for a walk around the house and picked up over 10 WiFis - and this is in residential Sydney, not some apartment block.

so can it be really put down to that? how is it that my sister's 100yo PC laptop has never had such a problem or any wireless issues :confused:

Steve_D
4th May 2011, 08:38 AM
She more than likely has had issues. But windows has been able to fake it well enough that it's not noticed.

idiesel
4th May 2011, 08:55 PM
so can it be really put down to that? how is it that my sister's 100yo PC laptop has never had such a problem or any wireless issues :confused:

I believe so. The Windows laptop never lost connection, even when I had it sitting next to the iMac and on the far side of the router too!
Like I said, I switched channels and have not had a drama since - going on +9 months now.

Abaddon
5th May 2011, 12:34 PM
I believe so. The Windows laptop never lost connection, even when I had it sitting next to the iMac and on the far side of the router too!
Like I said, I switched channels and have not had a drama since - going on +9 months now.

Ditto, my wife could quite happily browse through her vista laptop (vista for !!#$#@ sake!), while I had to reset my connection due to drop out. All while sitting 2 feet away from each other.

youngin
6th May 2011, 06:31 PM
^^^Not dispuiting that, just never had a wireless issue

yep well here's hoping!

cheers :)