PDA

View Full Version : Weird SuperDrive behaviour

malfunction99
1st November 2005, 11:31 AM
Recently, my 1GHZ TiBook's SuperDrive has begun to act strange.

It refuses to recognise any disc inserted, instead automatically ejecting them with a few seconds of insertion. Disc-type isn't the issue, DVD's CD's etc are all ejected.

Likewise, its impossible to boot from the drive, it spits out the Tiger install CD and boots from HD.

Obviously the drive isn't completely dead, as the insertion/ejection process works - which leads me to wonder if the drive is the problem, or whether its something more serious, such as the logic board. Everything else is fine, the PB works fine except for the drive.

I'm reluctant to take it to NextByte (Bris) unless I really need to, as I only have another 3mths left on Flexirent before I can upgrade to a new model, and an over-the-phone chat put the repair at "probably" around the $500 mark "if its just the drive."

Given its almost 3yrs old, I don't want to spend more than I really need to.

I've thought about buying a new drive from UltraDrives.com - the UJ815B is only USD80 - and fitting it myself, but would welcome any advise on whether doing so is likely to fix the problem.

Thanks

astr0b0y
1st November 2005, 11:48 AM
It does sound like the drive is at fault, not the logic board.
Replacing the drive is fairly easy as long as you have the right tools.
Your Flexirent agreement may have equipment protection loaded on it - you should check this out as a repair option.

MidnightMan
1st November 2005, 12:15 PM
I'm 99% sure this issue requires replacement of the superdrive. I looked into it when my superdrive started spitting out some discs (not all), and any one who has had this issue had to have their superdrive replaced. MIne ended up being replaced too.

malfunction99
1st November 2005, 12:43 PM
Thanks Guys,

I'll order a new drive from Ultradrives.com and replace it myself. I got the guide from PBFixit, and it looks pretty simple.

Just had an idea though:- I've also got a 1.42 Mac Mini, which has the 4x Superdrive. It might be an idea to buy the 8x DL UJ845 (USD127) to stick in the Mini and then use the "old" Mini drive to fix the PB.

I've got the Mini's Service Manual (pdf) and it also looks simple.

This would give me a speed-bump as well as Dual-Layer support for the Mini for only USD50 more than fixing the PB alone - and both at about half the price of having NextByte fix "only" the PB.

Does this sound feasible?

Thks again for your advice.