PDA

View Full Version : TraceRoute Programs

Daz34
8th August 2004, 11:36 AM
does anyone have any suggestions as to the best free or commercial network tracing programs.
I have had a go at Neotrace and was wondering if there is anything better out there.
I'm new to the networking admin stuff, I'm studying IT at TAFE.
BTW Neotrace said appletalk forums went via tokyo adelaide and Washington DC?
Does that sound right?? :unsure:

Disko
8th August 2004, 11:38 AM
open terminal and type: traceroute appletalk.com.au

Thats how you do a trace route. Network Utility in your utilities folder also has that function. Not sure if it should be going through adelaide...

Currawong
8th August 2004, 07:27 PM
Without pushing this too off-topic, there are many connections between the USA and Australia, so packets could take multiple routes.

Gothikon
8th August 2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Aug 8 2004, 11:38 AM

Thats how you do a trace route. Network Utility in your utilities folder also has that function. Not sure if it should be going through adelaide...
For the terminal challenged

Double-click on Network Utility under Applications -> Utilities, also does finger, whois and a few other things. I used to use a graphical trace route utility in OS 9, it was cool seeing the route on a map.

Daz34
8th August 2004, 09:39 PM
Yes,sorry, I meant are there an graphical , map sort of programs...
I had a go at traceroute in net. utilities, that was pretty good...thanks.
I didn't really think; I already had such a tool.
:ph34r:

pipsqeek
8th August 2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Gothikon+Aug 8 2004, 08:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Gothikon @ Aug 8 2004, 08:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Disko@Aug 8 2004, 11:38 AM

For the terminal challenged

Double-click on Network Utility under Applications -> Utilities, also does finger, whois and a few other things. I used to use a graphical trace route utility in OS 9, it was cool seeing the route on a map. [/b][/quote]
Very geeky
Steve