PDA

View Full Version : Do you own a MacBook Air and a iPad? And if so, why?

kevinnugent
20th March 2011, 12:23 PM
I came within inches of pulling the trigger on a 11" MBA at our local JB HiFi this morning. I thought I just "needed" it. I have a MBP 15" that I have hooked up to a big arse screen for my desktop computer and I also have a 32gb wifi iPad.

I really do like the look of the MBA's though.... what are the pro's and con's of each?

Can I justify having both ... especially with the new iPad 2 coming out in a week. (I think I may actually skip this version and go straight to iPad 3 next year).

skyhawkmatthew
20th March 2011, 12:41 PM
My family bought a 64GB Wi-Fi iPad from the States (a friend happened to be over there at the time) when they were first released, and bought an 11" MacBook Air soon after they came out. The iPad gets used largely for school textbooks, light note taking, video content and web browsing; the Air for heavier computing tasks like AccountEdge, Aperture and Facebook scrabble (Flash :)) when we are travelling.

SRG
20th March 2011, 12:43 PM
I have both. The Air is used at home and the iPad is my out and about unit. Can do most things on the Air and we really run OzRacing on it during the week. However for some things you need a computer. I find both work together well for my needs.

I am also a opposition analyst for St Kilda and I use the iPad to takes in game notes.

Of course I also have a macbook pro but that really goes used at race weekends etc and for video stuff we do.

Do I need them all no but they all fill a need. If I had to pick one it would be the Air it is a great piece of kit.

glacierdave
20th March 2011, 01:43 PM
I have both.

My iPad is largely a consumption device. I keep up with twitter and my email from time to time, play games, watch media of various sorts, read books, great when travelling as the form factor is much friendlier (not having a clamshell to open).

The MBA is a "do much more" device. Much better for anything that needs typing and any task where it's more convenient to run multiple tasks at once and refer from one to the other.

I'm working towards having my MBA and my iMac being fully sync'd for everything I care about - that means that I can sync iPhone/iPad to either device and it works fine. So, MBA has an added benefit when I'm away in that I can sync new stuff to my IOS devices as needed.

I've had the MBA for a month or two now and I really wouldn't be without it. Have had the iPad for longer and wouldn't be without it either.

When travelling, I take both but for different reasons.

Having said that, I have no daily commute at all so my usage may not be relevant to others.

David