PDA

View Full Version : Broken key on PB 15"

StLuke
31st October 2005, 05:00 PM
I have a 2-year-old pb 15", and the apple/command key on the left-hand side came off last week. One of the plastic catches that holds it on has broken on the underside of the key, and there's not really any way of reattaching it.

Between Photoshop, Motion and World of Warcraft, that key has been pressed pretty much continuously for the past 18 months, so I'm not as angry about it as I could be :)

I have the key sitting on it's spot on the keyboard, and I can press and use it. It has no 'spring' though, and is loose in place. It's also going to get lost at some point, being small, loose, and taken all over the place with me.

Went into NextByte in Rundle Mall (Adelaide) they said it may be a kb replacement because they can't order specific keys. They also suggested checking a service centre in case they had a dead pb with a working keyboard they could use for a spare.

Went into AppleCentre Adelaide (Gouger St) who arranged a replacement key for me, but it didn't work: keypress was fine and springy, but my laptop didn't register when the key was pressed. The staff there said it was because the silicon underneath the key had torn, and so the entire keyboard needed to be replaced.

Anyone had this happen before? What are my options? Ideally, there's some way around paying $200 for a whole new keyboard when this one still works under the right conditions. Failing that, anyone have a dead pb with a working keyboard they want to unload? :)

Thanks for helping!
Luke

helloroto
31st October 2005, 05:58 PM
I accidentally took off my 'G' key a few weeks back, its annoying as hell. ;) You should be able to buy replacement keys and the plastic bits for underneath at PB Parts (http://www.pbparts.com)

Cheers,
Roto :blink:

EDIT: Wrong place URL referral ;)

arribadia
31st October 2005, 07:51 PM
Hey, I'm in Adelaide too!

Anyway, one question.. say if I have a problem with my Mac, but I didn't buy it from the local Nextbyte, can I bring it to them for service?

Thanks.

G Ess
31st October 2005, 08:00 PM
URL for PBParts

http://www.pbparts.com/shop/_al

PB Fixit Aluminium 15" parts here;

http://www.pbfixit.com/cart/catalog/catego..._15_page_1.html (http://www.pbfixit.com/cart/catalog/category_54_G4_Aluminum_15_page_1.html)

I bought a key for a pismo through PB Parts - just emailed them and asked about keys and they posted the correct one. I asked about a trackpad button for an aluminium powerbook and they said that they did not have enough small parts and that hey were avaialble only as part of the top case at the time. Keyboards may be the same for a while.

PB Fixit have guides on replacing parts also.

You can only ask!

Rayd
31st October 2005, 09:44 PM
if you dont want to spend money, you can do what roto did before he reached into his wallet, that was: *roto presses little nipple where G key use to be

helloroto
31st October 2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by ipod_man@Oct 31 2005, 09:44 PM
if you dont want to spend money, you can do what roto did before he reached into his wallet, that was: *roto presses little nipple where G key use to be
ROFL!!!!!! iPod_man shoosh!!!

Byrd
31st October 2005, 10:18 PM
If you've damaged the silicone cover on the keyboard, there may little chance you'll be able to fix it bar getting a whole new keyboard. The silicone sheeting of the keyboard is important (and unfortunately irreplaceable).

I've got a Clamshell iBook keyboard here if you want some keys off it, not sure if they would fit however.

JB

StLuke
1st November 2005, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the quick responses, everyone!

Rot/G Ess:
PBparts and PBfixit are excellent resources, but replacing the entire keyboard will end up being as expensive after shipping anyway :(

Byrd:
Thanks for offering to send me keys, but the replacement key I got yesterday didn't register keypresses. The old key, pressed in place, still registers keypresses. It is surprisingly unpleasant to use a key without any spring though :(

I was hoping that someone knew about the silicon layer under the keys and had some advice for fixing it... otherwise, it looks like I may have to shell out for the entire new kb :(

Luke

PS arribadia: Applecare stuff they do under warranty and bill apple. Anything else, they can fix but will charge you for. At least, that's what I've found in the past