PDA

View Full Version : moderm or airport extreme question

xwing25
15th March 2011, 06:55 PM
I just bought a 27" imac(my first mac) and in my quest to have as little as i can on my desk including wires I have a question I think I know the answer too.
Will performance on the mac be better to run an ethernet cable straight into it or will wi-fi on a mac be ok?
Second question is, is it worth getting an airport extreme ore time capsule ir should i just stick with my 1TB WD external drive and bigpond 2wire moderm?

LaPastenague
15th March 2011, 08:44 PM
The imac N wireless is faster than the internet.. but much slower than gigabit lan.. so it depends. what do you do on the pc.. if lots of copying files on LAN definitely go wired.. if just internet.. occasional file save.. wireless is fine.

For second question the answer is almost the same.. it depends on what you do.. the 2wire is only G wireless but that is still faster than internet.. unless you are housed inside the exchange!! Or very near thereunto. But it makes LAN by wireless even slower again. So what do you do? Time Capsule is over priced by a mile.. but Time Machine.. as a PC person I think is fabulous, and will work fine to your 1TB WD USB drive. If it is ethernet well get a usb drive. Airport can have hdd plugged in but still that is expensive.. you can get a cheaper wireless modem upgrade.. only $69 for the N wireless TP-LInk.

xwing25
15th March 2011, 09:31 PM
It's for basic Internet use. So are you suggesting the airport extreme and my USB external drive? I didn't think of that.

LaPastenague
16th March 2011, 06:27 PM
It's for basic Internet use. So are you suggesting the airport extreme and my USB external drive? I didn't think of that.

You can add the airport extreme to the network.. for sure.. but it is actually faster to plug the hard drive straight into the computer's USB to do backups..