PDA

View Full Version : Locking OS X Folders

Wheels
31st October 2005, 02:56 PM
Hi all,

I have folders on my computer that contain documents that are really important (school work) and I was wondering if its possible to lock folders with password protection to open them? I would prefer not to have to create another user account because this user only uses the computer occasionally.

So is there a utility that will password protect folders?

Thanks,
wheels8989

Ben™
31st October 2005, 02:58 PM
hmm, I saw something like this the other day. I'll try and find it again for you :)

EDIT: Bingo! (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20751) ;)

Disko
31st October 2005, 02:59 PM
Finder will do it.

click on the folder, :cmd: + i, and set the permissions in the bottom of the info screen so that anyone who isn't you has 'no access'.

This can be undone by anyone with admin privs iirc.

edit: for password access, you can set it so no one has access... thus requiring an admin password to unlock it each time. :)

napes
31st October 2005, 03:25 PM
Cool - I'v also been looking for something like this - in the past have made a dmg and password protected it... :)

Wheels
31st October 2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Oct 31 2005, 02:59 PM
Finder will do it.

click on the folder, :cmd: + i, and set the permissions in the bottom of the info screen so that anyone who isn't you has 'no access'.

This can be undone by anyone with admin privs iirc.

edit: for password access, you can set it so no one has access... thus requiring an admin password to unlock it each time. :)
Thanks all but when I set it for "no access" for everyone, when I try to open it, it says I do not have access but then its just a case of clicking get info then clicking read and write and then access is gained. An admin password wasn't required! How do I make it required?

Disko
31st October 2005, 03:47 PM
An admin password wasnt required because you'd already authenticated when you locked it. leave it for a few min and it'll ask you for a password.