PDA

View Full Version : Chatswood Chase iPad 2 Lineup

trinket
12th March 2011, 06:21 PM
Hi everyone,

If Apple don't come through with the pre-orders, or I deicide at the last minute I might like to line up, then the Chatswood Chase Apple Store will most likely be where I'll line up.

Has anyone lined up here before? What time do centre staff/security let you in? Which entrance is generally used (the one near Coles?) Is it safe to get to from the train station at 4am? What would be the best time to get there? Even though you can't use the iPhone 4 launch as a good guide, what was the line up like for this product launch - when did people start to get there?

I might be way off, but I decided to line up here because the line won't be as long as Bondi or George St because it is in a shopping centre where you can't line up for days before the launch. George St. is by far the closest to home, but thought I might be closer to the front of the line if I can get to Chatswood early enough.

senhwei
13th March 2011, 09:03 AM
I lined up at Chatswood Chase for the iPhone 4 launch. The entrance used was the one facing Victoria Avenue. I got there at around 5.30am and there were about 30 or 40 people already in the line. The centre was open and we could lie up inside.

Chatswood is very safe but I don't know what time is the earliest train.

trinket
13th March 2011, 09:15 AM
I think the earliest I can get there by train is 05:30 - but could get a Night Ride bus to the station which should arrive around 04:30. I guess Chatswood is as safe as the city....I'm just more familiar with the city, so wasn't sure about Chatswood.
I think I'll keep an eye on these forums and whirlpool to get an idea of line length at George St before I make the effort to go to Chatsood. I think my other concern is dodging news crews (don't want my boss to see me!) - and there will most definitely be more attention on the George St store compared to Chatswood.

trinket
18th March 2011, 03:54 PM
So - Anyone else lining up at Chatswood? If you are lining up, do you live close by, or are you going out of your way to get there?
I'm going to try and get there by 4:30-5am, but as mentioned, before I get on the Nightride bus in the city, I'm going to walk past George St and weigh up my options!

GregA
24th March 2011, 04:01 PM
I can't line up early unfortunately. I'll have to try online at 1am.

I'll certainly be checking in around lunch if the wait turns our to be a whole online.
Good luck tomorrow!

spider-man
25th March 2011, 04:26 AM
Morning all, here I am waiting outside Chatswood Chase on my own off Victoria avenue.

Make that 5 of us.

GregA
25th March 2011, 06:07 AM
I'm surprised at the April 22 estimate for my online order. I may join you after lunch... thanks for giving the status update!

Are any of you posting in other areas (whirlpool? twitter?)?

spider-man
25th March 2011, 07:35 AM
Make that 13

iMacca
25th March 2011, 07:36 AM
I might have to make an attempt at Chatswood this afternoon... how's the line looking at the moment?

spider-man
25th March 2011, 07:39 AM
Staff have confirmed 2 per person and still 13

senhwei
25th March 2011, 08:01 AM
Spider-man - keep the updates coming ! Planning to head to Chatswood this afternoon. Thanks.

spider-man
25th March 2011, 08:17 AM
23 heads & counting

GregA
25th March 2011, 08:20 AM
I presume no indication of stock levels eh?

missrus
25th March 2011, 08:40 AM
im coming this afternoon to Chatswood as well. ok is anyone updating twitter or anything for chatswood?

calvinoz
25th March 2011, 08:59 AM
Hi guys,

very new in this forum , but I 'm going to try to get one as well..

how many people queuing so far ?

( a french guy living in australia... )

ellyidol
25th March 2011, 09:03 AM
Planning to go there too. Estimate around 12:45-1.

Any idea on how many units they are able to sell?

I'm guessing at 23-30 people by 10, about 10 people an hour, thats 50-60 people by 1pm, can they still do more?

missrus
25th March 2011, 09:21 AM
oh there will lots more ppl than that lol, im inda gettign a little worried lol! but i guess 5 pm start. Apple store closes at 3 pm (i was told yesterday at the store) and reopening at 5pm and starting the sale till 3 am. so yeah very excited...kinda terrified about the parking through.... At least Chatswood wont be as bad as the CBD lol

ellyidol
25th March 2011, 09:23 AM
oh there will lots more ppl than that lol, im inda gettign a little worried lol! but i guess 5 pm start. Apple store closes at 3 pm (i was told yesterday at the store) and reopening at 5pm and starting the sale till 3 am. so yeah very excited...kinda terrified about the parking through.... At least Chatswood wont be as bad as the CBD lol

So more than that? How many people do you think they can sell to?

I wouldn't mind the queue or the wait, just as long as I'm guaranteed to get one by today. :)

missrus
25th March 2011, 09:36 AM
well i dont think there will be any less 100, coz i got the iphone 4 the next morning and there was more than 100 ppl infront and the wait was 4 hrs. so yeah.

spider-man
25th March 2011, 09:47 AM

ellyidol
25th March 2011, 09:48 AM
well i dont think there will be any less 100, coz i got the iphone 4 the next morning and there was more than 100 ppl infront and the wait was 4 hrs. so yeah.

Oh, so they can sell to more than 100 people then? :)

I don't mind the wait, 5PM to 9PM if I have to, I just wanna be guaranteed I'll be getting one today.

senhwei
25th March 2011, 09:58 AM
47.. Holy moly ! Is the line going out to the street ?

missrus
25th March 2011, 09:58 AM
lol omg 47 ppl wow! wonder what it will be at 5pm lol, well they will def have more than 100 but i doubt they will tell ppl how many, when the line gets too big they give numbers out, because that what they did with iphone 4, when there were too many ppl (i was in cbd) the line was all around the block the next morning after the release, they started giving out numbers/tickets and ppl who didnt get one in the end of queue were left without one coz they sold out, so you will kinda know.... i hope.

lach
25th March 2011, 10:02 AM
I was just looking at the iPads in the store, picking them up, inspecting them then I realised they were the original iPads......guys in the line must think I'm nuts

missrus
25th March 2011, 10:08 AM
I was just looking at the iPads in the store, picking them up, inspecting them then I realised they were the original iPads......guys in the line must think I'm nuts
Hahaha you are a cassic lol! trust me i probably wouldve done the same lol with all the crasyness that is going on in Apple store right now lol

ellyidol
25th March 2011, 10:09 AM
Dang, wonder how long it'll be at 1PM.

You can only line up right and not reserve one right? So actual sales start at 5PM?

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

Oh and do they have ipad 2 display units already?

missrus
25th March 2011, 10:22 AM
yeah they start sales at 5pm, lucky im not getting there till 4.30 pm lol so lucky you lol. No they never reserve anything even during normal times coz i tried reserving a macbook coz i was driving and stuck in traffic and they said no lol... sucks lol it makes sense though coz thanks to ppl sleeping outside the store it gets bigger and bigger publicity! smart apple. but i wouldnt have an idea about the display coz im still in north sydney lol

ellyidol
25th March 2011, 10:26 AM
yeah they start sales at 5pm, lucky im not getting there till 4.30 pm lol so lucky you lol. No they never reserve anything even during normal times coz i tried reserving a macbook coz i was driving and stuck in traffic and they said no lol... sucks lol it makes sense though coz thanks to ppl sleeping outside the store it gets bigger and bigger publicity! smart apple. but i wouldnt have an idea about the display coz im still in north sydney lol

True.

I hope they don't run out before me then! LOL

It'd be nice if they tell us in the queue if we are in time for one.

Good luck! I'll see you there!

missrus
25th March 2011, 10:40 AM
i know what you mean, would be good! awesome, so excited! see you there and good luck with getting one :D

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

Just a quick update for Chatswood, at 3pm they will be going through que and lcounting people and what models they want etc so at 3pm people will know whether they are getting one or not. I just spoke to the apple store in chatswood and htye are not releasing the number of stock.

spider-man
25th March 2011, 10:50 AM
Looking at least 70 guys..

missrus
25th March 2011, 12:24 PM
omg.... this is crazy, im leaving work early!

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Thanks Heaps Spider-man by the way! keep us posted!

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

by the way whitch way does the line up go, victoria st exit?

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

any update guys, im leaving in 30 min wondering how fast should i be driving?

iMacca
25th March 2011, 12:29 PM
How's it all looking at the Chase?

wayne_zmh
25th March 2011, 12:33 PM
I'm on the train to apple store now. Hope the queue is not too long so i can get one today.

Does anyone know how many ipads per order? I wanna get two.

missrus
25th March 2011, 12:34 PM
2 per person, pls someone update on the line. thx

senhwei
25th March 2011, 12:42 PM
2 per person, pls someone update on the line. thx

I'm guessing there must be around 100 people here ?

dory_1982
25th March 2011, 12:46 PM
I'm guessing there must be around 100 people here ?

Cheers! Hopefully I still have a chance in a couple hrs. Do we know what time the store is closing tonight?

wayne_zmh
25th March 2011, 12:49 PM
if 2 per person, that'll be good

missrus
25th March 2011, 12:52 PM
they shut at 3pm and reopen at 5 to start the sales and close at 3am

spider-man
25th March 2011, 12:52 PM
Easy 90+ people now.

Your only allowed to purchase 2 iPads per person max and they accept cash too.

missrus
25th March 2011, 12:53 PM
thanks spider man, im joining you guys soon! yay

spider-man
25th March 2011, 01:05 PM
Come quick as the queue is gradually expanding..

Froj
25th March 2011, 01:15 PM
Have just come round saying important info will be given at 3pm

missrus
25th March 2011, 01:34 PM
Look at my post before they ll be counting wyns stock against ppl. I just hot Here n bout 10 ppl behind me as well lol

wayne_zmh
25th March 2011, 01:41 PM
I'm here now, haven't count how many ppl. Two big block queue inside Chase now.

lach
25th March 2011, 02:03 PM
Anyone interested in starting a uStream video stream at 5pm?

spider-man
25th March 2011, 02:05 PM
The guy who is in second place (one behind me) is whilling to purchase an ipad2 for a fee as he is only buying one for himself. Come around to the front of the line and make an offer :-)

GregA
25th March 2011, 02:33 PM
So what was the important info at 3pm?

senhwei
25th March 2011, 03:09 PM
So what was the important info at 3pm?

They are handing out tickets based on the models each person wants to buy. This is to determine if they have enough stock for those models.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

Lots of 16Gb and 32Gb models out of stock. Sorry couldn't catch all the details. Seems like most white models are out

GregA
25th March 2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks Senhwei.
On that note... have you seen the white models? Do they look good? (or are they popular due to scarcity, or being different?)

senhwei
25th March 2011, 03:36 PM
Thanks Senhwei.
On that note... have you seen the white models? Do they look good? (or are they popular due to scarcity, or being different?)

The store hasn't reopened yet so haven't seen any of the models.

Stez
25th March 2011, 03:55 PM
Chatswood store update:

All whites sold out
Black wifi model only

From a whirlpool member.

macraptor
26th March 2011, 06:36 AM
Message from Chatswood Apple Store. No iPad 2 today (Saturday 26/3). Part of small line. Employee turned up at 7:20 to tell us they are starting the "hold deliveries, sell next day" and he was sure they would get deliveries today, but would sell none. From tomorrow, they will hand out coupons to those in line guaranteeing that you will either get your iPad 2 or go home without waiting.
In passing, sold out at 7:30 yesterday, 2 1/2 hrs after opening.
Heading to see if any chance in the Sydney city store

spider-man
26th March 2011, 07:21 AM
I'm lining up again to take one back as I have excessive light bleeding from the side.
I was the first in the queue to buy one and now I'm the first to return one. That's a great achievement if you ask me, NOT!!!

senhwei
26th March 2011, 06:47 PM
I'm lining up again to take one back as I have excessive light bleeding from the side.
I was the first in the queue to buy one and now I'm the first to return one. That's a great achievement if you ask me, NOT!!!

Maybe you should hold on to it first and exchange it later when new manufacturing batches are available. Otherwise you may get another dud now.

dory_1982
26th March 2011, 07:15 PM
Message from Chatswood Apple Store. No iPad 2 today (Saturday 26/3). Part of small line. Employee turned up at 7:20 to tell us they are starting the "hold deliveries, sell next day" and he was sure they would get deliveries today, but would sell none. From tomorrow, they will hand out coupons to those in line guaranteeing that you will either get your iPad 2 or go home without waiting.
In passing, sold out at 7:30 yesterday, 2 1/2 hrs after opening.
Heading to see if any chance in the Sydney city store

Chatswood handed out tickets yesterday. Less units then people lining up meant they sold out before 5pm, but good to know without waiting hours that ppl couldn't get one at that time.

Also glad they're doing the ticket theory again.

macraptor
27th March 2011, 07:54 AM
It starts again.

Just arrived @ Chatswood Chase Apple store (8:20 AM). Looks like my "queue leaders" are first in line, back from yesterday's 'no show' of iPad 2. Queue of about 25-30 here, growing slowly. No Apple store employees and no cards (opens 10AM) so there may actually be no iPads as far as anyone knows. Possible, but unlikely.

I'm doing the maths. 1.5 iPads per customer on average = 40 iPads gone by when I get in. Say 70% of purchases are white (I'm after 2 white 32Gb wi-fi, and black is just not an option - supplying the females in my family!). And they're 1/2 64 Gb and 1/2 32 Gb (who can love a 16Gb runt?). And 1/2 G3, 1/2 wi-fi.

So I guess I'm askin' "Do I feel lucky? Well, do I, punk? Is that 10 in stock of 32gig white wi-fi iPads 2? Or is it less? Maybe none, punk. Maybe white iPad is just a light-leaking first day apparition. Maybe it's not" :cool:

Sure hoping the cards they hand out are Colour and device specific, checking off who wants which model from front of line..if not, it'll be too late to head back to George St by the time we find out. More as this adventure unfolds
:D

---------- Post added at 08:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

Update without the crap. 9:45 AM. Another 15 in the queue. in past 30 min. Worry lines on face minimal ahead of me. Increasingly deep proportional to distance from the store. I'm guessing rate of arrival and concern will increase after 9AM.

Just BTW. Parking nearby has no Sunday restrictions or fees, which is odd as all of Chatswood is open on Sunday. Parked 50 meters up the road. Now I'm worried. Probably didn't read small print on sign, so I may have a Chatswood Premium on my iPads! C'est la vie

spider-man
27th March 2011, 07:59 AM
Maybe you should hold on to it first and exchange it later when new manufacturing batches are available. Otherwise you may get another dud now.

I received another dud, but this time I got the genius guy to open it up in the store to test the screen. They said that they were goin to escalate the matter with the big wigs. Apple also didn't want me to be without an iPad so they let me take it home to trash.

macraptor
27th March 2011, 09:39 AM
Chatswood 9:45 update. Just got the pep talk. We're "awesome for coming", but "limited stock, and a maximum of 2 per customer". A guy will be coming around with paper for us to write our first preference on, "but you need to have a backup, in case we run out of your first choice". Guessing line is out to about 80 now, but it's hidden by the huge mug of George 'Nespresso' Clooney.

Starting to feel more positive. But there seems to be more ahead of me than before. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. May have to pull an Ocean's 11 to eliminate the threat of hypo-iPadosis. Painful condition. More announcements. Excitement building.

Must ... focus ... all ... my ... energies

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

Update. Much more hopeful. I missed the line 'split'. Looks like closer to 150-20, good news is that the long tail is NOT leaving after pep talk. Suggests limited stock is hundreds, not dozens. Of course, no one will confirm or deny, but the 'wishter' is moving around collecting our intentions, first lot are heading in.

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

Aaaaand ....NO WHITE iPads. None. All iPads are black.

Bugger

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

The tail has been chopped. I have my card for a 64 GB wifi black one. AppleGirl told me the white ones all go first. I'm going to try it, load it up and see if I want a new one in black. If not, I'll do the 14 day exchange for a white one if and when the frenzy settles and white is in stock. AppleGuy says I have to be careful. If there us still no white stock in 2 weeks, I'll be stuck with black one.

There's worse things that could happen, I guess. But I wonder how Apple missed the huge demand for white? They could have made the first few million white! Pent up demand from the lack of white iPhone 4, I guess

spider-man
27th March 2011, 11:24 AM
AppleGuy says I have to be careful. If there us still no white stock in 2 weeks, I'll be stuck with black one.

If they don't receive any white ones before your 2 weeks is up, just ask for a refund and buy a white one at a later time.

nGage7962
28th March 2011, 11:16 PM
Turned up at Chatswood Chase store Sunday am at about 8:00am and wound up about 15-16th in queue. Walked away with two 64Gb Wifi Black iPad 2's. By the time they got to me there were no white of any type available.