PDA

View Full Version : WiFi iPad 1 and Bluetooth Tethering

tempestas
11th March 2011, 12:37 PM
Has anyone got a WiFi only iPad to connect to an iPhone 3Gs via Bluetooth thethering, or is this a classic case of bridge too far without a JB.

Recently got a refurb WiFI iPad and was trying to connect via BT to my 3Gs so as to tether (aka personal hotspot in 4.3) but no joy.

I notice there were some saying they had it working under the Beta for 4.3 but alas no joy.

mitty
11th March 2011, 12:45 PM
My other half has it working, 3GS and ipad 1. I haven't actually seen how he does it but it works really well. If I get a chance I'll get him to show me the process and then post some screen prints.

alextrob
11th March 2011, 01:58 PM
I can try in a few hours when I get home.

What's the advantage of using Bluetooth instead of wifi? Better battery life?

tempestas
12th March 2011, 09:15 AM
Hmm seems to suggest that this wont work without a JB not what I was hoping for. Current 3Gs on contract and pointless to break before next iPhone is released

tempestas
12th March 2011, 06:34 PM
Yes I got it working - it took a lot of stuffing about, but essentially it seems you need to turn WiFi off on both devices then pairing can take place without timing out.

I'll do some experimenting on various orders etc and post back what seems to be the most effective way.

For those interested once paired it seems turning WiFi back on the phone was no drama

tempestas
15th March 2011, 07:51 PM
Ok this is by no means definitive, I'm sure other ways will also work.

1) turn the 3Gs Wi-Fi off, then turn Bluetooth on, then Personal Hotspot (aka Tethering pre 4.3). Go back to the Bluetooth settings

2) turn bluetooth on the iPad, pair with whatever your iPhone is called; likewise select pair on the iPhone, - you will get the same dialogue box on both devices. Hit pair.

Once you have a connection, the pulsing blue Personal Hotspot bar can be seen on the phone and the twin o personal hotspot logo's appear. You are now using your 3Gs data on your iPad

Once you have done this once, its a matter of turning on Bluetooth as above and connecting (no need to swap pair keys again)

If you hit the top button on the iPhone the screen goes black but keeps the hotspot active.

alextrob
16th March 2011, 08:21 AM
It was dead simple for me. Turned on Personal Hotspot on my iPhone, went to Settings > General > Bluetooth on the iPad and connected to the iPhone. I think both popped up with a 'Pair with this device?' prompt, then it just started working.

I've got an iPhone 4 and an iPad 1, both on iOS 4.3.

Lindycorp
21st April 2014, 07:02 AM
Was that with an ipad*1*?

Ok this is by no means definitive, I'm sure other ways will also work.

1) turn the 3Gs Wi-Fi off, then turn Bluetooth on, then Personal Hotspot (aka Tethering pre 4.3). Go back to the Bluetooth settings

2) turn bluetooth on the iPad, pair with whatever your iPhone is called; likewise select pair on the iPhone, - you will get the same dialogue box on both devices. Hit pair.

Once you have a connection, the pulsing blue Personal Hotspot bar can be seen on the phone and the twin o personal hotspot logo's appear. You are now using your 3Gs data on your iPad

Once you have done this once, its a matter of turning on Bluetooth as above and connecting (no need to swap pair keys again)

If you hit the top button on the iPhone the screen goes black but keeps the hotspot active.

lawrencium
21st April 2014, 02:58 PM
Was that with an ipad*1*?

Even though this post is three years old, yes, the instructions posted were with an iPad 1 (I've also tethered an iPad 1 to an iPhone using the same method).